My first time growing (cheap method 125w CFL) - daily updates

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by JayKirkbride, May 10, 2016.

1. Hey, I've never grown before, but I have everything I need and I'm ready!

Here's my grow box for one plant, and before anyone says this method doesn't work, it does :p

[​IMG]

I will be using a 125w CFL too which is enough for one plant

I thought I'd post a new topic because it's like my baby, so I won't to document it :p

• Like Like x 2
  2. My seed has cracked after 33 hours of germinating :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey Jay. I've been reading though your posts from the last couple days. It's interesting to me because I've just started my first cannabis grow too, but I've kept other gardens for years. My sativa plant is on day 10 from sprouting, and looking very healthy so far. She usually gets a new set of leaves every day. I won't pretend to be a pro and give you growing advice. I will recommend that you read, read, and read some more. Information is your best friend. I really recommend the website growweedeasy, and of course the folks on this forum. Both are very knowledgeable and helpful. Also, don't be afraid to spend some coin, if you can afford it. Lights, fans, filters, nutes, and other supplies add up, but it's all worth it knowing you're increasing your chances of a bountiful harvest. One missed or overlooked step in the growing process can be detrimental, making all your effort worthless. Good luck bro.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hey man. I grow with LEDs now but I started with cfls and loved them. But you need more than 1 125 watt cfl. Because cfls don't project useful light any distance, the wattage rule that would usually apply doesn't. With cfls and really any light you need roughly 6000 lumens per square ft for a successful grow. But you can with 3 more of those bulbs

Mr.Nice's Indoor LED/CFL Grow

5. Thanks for the feedback :) I'm pretty confident that I know what I'm doing , I've been researching with all the spare time I have, I find it really fun :)

Luckily I have a local hydroponic shop nearby so I'll pop up there tomorrow and get better stuff :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. How about 2 of those bulbs? Loads of people said 1 would be enough for one plant?

7. Loads of people like to talk without actually having grown anything. My first grow I used 4 23 actual watt cfls. That 125 replacement number is not the same as true watts. And people who hasn't actually grown with multiple lights don't know Jack. It's all about the lumen output. If you go get any actual paperback or physical growing book that's what you'll find. Not the wattage rule. Trust me, I still use cfls in addition to LEDs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You have to understand something. The amount of plants you have doesn't determine how many lights you need, in my other grows I can grow 3 4 ft tall plants using one light.... it's all about the distance between the light and the plant and also the bulbs efficiency. And since cfls don't have much light distance, they have to be kept within a foot which isn't a problem because they don't get too hot. But like I said a successful grow needs 3000-6000 lumens per sq ft so you'll need atleast 3.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for the tips! Ill have two grow boxes so two in each maybe? Or would only one fit in the picture I posted above?

For 2 plants then, what CFL could I get, I only want to use one light per box

I was going to use miracle grow, people only have either said its amazing or it isn't recommended, so I'd rather go to my local hydroponic store and pick up some canna terra professional soil mix :)

10. Your not going to be able to do 1 cfl per plant unless you want to get an actual cfl set up. The cfl bulbs you would need to use only 1 per plant isn't a normal socket size nor readily available in hardware stores.

• Like Like x 2
  11. okay :p could i use that light you recommended for the vegetative stage, and then use that and the 125w CFL at the same time during flowering? or would that be too much?

12. That's what I'm saying, it's either you sick it up and spend a bit more so you can do what you were planning on, using one light, or you build a bigger cab that's suitable for growing. That can fit at a minimum the 4 cfls you already have

13. You can't really have too much light but too many bulbs can cause too much heat, you have to remember, you have to keep your cab between 70-80°

14. Okay, so me using one 125w CFL for one plant will still grow buds? Even if it isn't as much, I'll then upgrade and spend more when I know the system a bit more.

15. No it will not. Your plant will stretch during veg and you'll end up with a 2 ft long stick with microscopic buds maybe totalling 1 gram at most maybe not even produce buds. A complete waste of 3 months hard work.