My First Time, CFL Soil Closet Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CanuckChris, Jan 19, 2016.

1. So this is my first time grow. Im growing in a closet and using nothing but CFL bulbs for the grow.
    Using bag seed that I know was from an Indica dominant strain of Kush.
    So Im at week 4 of flowering. The two pants I have started flowering on December 25th 2015 and I actually planted these back in November 1 2015.
    They seem to be healthy Im not exactly sure, I was looking for any comments on how they look.

Here is One Pic:
    DSC_0340 (2).JPG

Another Pic:
    DSC_0342 (2).JPG

And Lastly:
    DSC_0344 (2).JPG

2. Can you tell me How many bulbs you used and the wattage please?

3. Not bad for 4 weeks into flowering. Everything looks good to me, keep it up !

4. Using 10 CFL bulbs for the two pants. Bulbs are about 1 1/2 inches from flowers and spread over the tops and sides covering even the lower areas. The bulbs are 13w or 60w equivalent 900 lumenes each bulb 2700k soft white

5. Could you take a pic of your setup? I'm leaning towards a 600w hps but i wonder if I can get the same results via multiple CFL's if i want to grow 4 plants at a time

6. Im doing a cfl grow if you wanna follow me but im doing autos

Sent from my LGMS631 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. my setup is ever changing as I move bulbs frequently as needed but I have 4 up top and 6 all around. I just got lamp sets and put a splitter on them running on a powerbar and on a timer

8. Not to hijack but...

... you can grow some amazing and beautiful bud all CFL.
    ...but a 600 HPS is in a totally differ league in scale of quantity of production.

Of course I have more than I need running 168 watts... I cant fathom the need for a 600

my cheap LED grow. 168 watts at the wall:
    https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1393482-My-"Everything-Wrong"-grow...-probably-no-harvest-:-/

9. This kinda shows its like all cheap setup. I use 1/4 of my closet and some coat hangers to hold lights so I can bend to move around. Have a fan. I didn't spend realy anything. Maybe $25

Attached Files:

10. They look pretty good for using the bulbs you're using. CFLs just don't produce the thick dense buds that better light sources do. An hps or LED light will double or triple the density of the bulbs. You put them into flower too early. If you had kept them out to veg longer, you would have helped your harvest weight a lot. The plant in the last picture almost looks like it has seed pods on the top but I went back and looked at it again and it may just be the way the buds are growing. But the longer you let them veg, the larger the plant should get and the more you should be able to harvest in the end. I generally veg my plants for a couple of months at least before I put them in for flower and they are generally 3 to 4 ft. tall before I ever flip the lights. It's all part of the learning process. The more you grow, the more you learn about growing. Just keep on going and it'll get easier and you'll get better at it. TWW

11. yeah that last pic was from 13 days ago. I had to start flowering because of space, so there just around 2 ft now. The pics at the start of the post were most recent. I only using cfl for this mini grow of two plants from free seed. I figure it's free smoke for me and the wife. Also I find it relaxing to grow these. This is a first time grow for me so I was mostly looking for advice on my plants at four weeks of flowering. Because I think they overall look and smell healthy and are getting nice and sticky. I have more seed for another round as well and figure this is a good test go.

12. Well now almost ending this week. Buds seem to be thickening up. And they are getting very sticky. I'm checking but they still seem clear. I'm looking for cloudy to Amber colour

Sent from my D6603 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Thanks man,
    The more I read this thread the more I'm leaning towards a cfl grow. You said you didn't spend much money.
    Mind if I ask what soil you went with?
    Would you recommend growing autos with CFLS?

14. 1453519203053.jpg

15. I don't know much about auto. This again is my first time. I know auto would be easier if you were doing a small size grow. I could have used an auto as I only vegged these for 6 weeks before force flowering (size restrictions) and these two plants are just over 4ft. With cfl it's important to keep lights close to flowers. And a small bush would be easier to get light spread out vs a tall giant. I think the cfl is good for small grow. As for soil it was some potting soil I actually recycled from my outdoor spring\summer flowers from this past summer. I kinda started these plants as a joke but when they sprouted and got going that's when I spent 30 on a few more lights and splitters. This is like ghetto grow but also kind of a test run for myself. I figure in a few weeks I should be harvesting. I actually clipped a small sample to test out.

16. Here's an update with some photos. Took a sample and it was a good head rush, going to continue to wait for more time. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. #20 CanuckChris, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
    So into week 6 now and there looking like 1 1/2 - 2 weeks to go by my estimate. Bud growth is good, there dense buds and not very fluffy. I now my plants stretched but the lower buds are nicely spaced. I made this photo which shows how the bud growth has been over a few weeks.

Attached Files: