My first time - anything wrong so far?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by david8374, Jun 17, 2015.

1. #1 david8374, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
    Hey guys,

this is the first time I try to grow and I would be happy if you could take a quick look at my setup and how the plants look so far. I have a feeling things arent going perfectly...
    The strains are Northern Lights Auto and Super Skunk Auto. I put the seeds into soil 11 days ago.

My box is about 100x60x40cm
    Distance between Cooltube (with a Sunmaster 250W dual spectrum inside) and plants is about 45cm

I think the biggest problem is the temperature...what do you think? Do the plants look OK at this stage? 

Attached Files:

2. what soil do you have those in? looks like it has no aeration. id get them into a soil more tailored for ganja.

From a quick look at the deficiency examples I could not find any of those problems on my plants, but will check that article in more detail, thanks!

http://www.canna-uk.com/terra_professional
    Mixed with about 5% worm humus

4. I would get them into some different soil or Coco.
    I think the temperature is okay if that's as hot as it gets, but I'm thinking you might need to add a little more humidity in the room with a change of soil.

5. #6 david8374, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
    But switching to another soil now, won't that possibly damage the plants? (I heard you should not do that with autoflowers...?) Or maybe hang up some wet towels in the box..?

Is the Canna soil that bad? And what other soil would you propose then?  BioBizz All Mix?

The rest of the setup is OK to you guys? (Type of light, distance, ..)

6. Test your humidity, see what it is and trying to keep it around 55 to 65%.
    The soil your using does not look like it's very aerated, looks very clumpy. Get a nice soil mixture with a good amount of perlite in it and you'll be laughing. And your plants are so young they haven't even really started the veg yet, they're in a very early stage.
    As for transferring them into different soil, do it very carefully and try not to move them around too much.

7. Thanks for your input, since my last post the plants continued to grow nicely and look quite healthy. I regularly water them with my water sprayer to keep them wet, they seem to like it. I also talked to my local growshop guy, he told me the Canna Professional soil should work quite nicely. My main problem still is the heat in the box. I reach 30 degree Celsius regularly. I only have one fan inside blowing the air through the Cooltube and then out of the box. Maybe I should install another fan to improve the airflow....

8. #9 GoldGrower, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
    Can you take a full colour photo? The HPS washes all the colour out leaving everything yellow so masking all illness signs.

The soil mix should have been a third perlite, but I wouldn't worry about that now, worth keeping in mind for the next run though.

What's the volume of your pots? They look a bit small.

What fan do you have? What's the temperature outside of the tent? 

I wouldn't worry about the humidity. Its at 62% so perfectly fine. I don't even measure mine. Trying to control it will just have you chasing your tail

The temperature is definitely too high. As the plants get taller and closer to the light it's going to be a problem

9. #10 Grass boy, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Plant looks good but the color of the hps masked the color, so can't really tell. And it looks a bit stretched from the angle you taking your picture. Is your light too high up? It's ok to trnsplant but take extra care not to hurt the root or risk stunting the grow or may even killing the plant at this age. I suggest transplant later when the seedling is stronger. But make sure there are enough aeration but adding sufficient perlite. The Less light expose to root the better. Moist the soil before you do it. Ventilation fan is a must. Silica blast from botanica help plant with higher temperature. 6 of my plants growing in temperature range 26-31deg c. And they are perfectly fine. Without silica blast they might not survive such temperature. I constantly put some Hydroguard to protect root as high temperature have higher risk of root rots. Not sure if it is help but seem to be helping mine. Good luck.

10. roots organic or ocean forest are good soils. vermifire is an great out of the bag soil if you can find it. nothing beats making your own organic soil mix tho. you can control what inputs you use so you know whats going into it. growshop guys are mostly morons that prey on people for sales. canna makes great coco nutrients and good loose bags of coco but I wouldn't use their soil.