My first stealth PC grow - unknown strain

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by windtunnel2003, Sep 23, 2012.

1. #1 windtunnel2003, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012
    On Sep 8,2012 the 4 unknown seeds were sprouted in tap water
    The grow area is a PC Case using
    -3 x 26W 6500K CFL lights mounted on a power bar, 24/0
    -two pc fans drawing air out, one air intake opposite corner of fans
    -windshield reflective stuff lines the entire interior
    -temps hold between 73F and 86F, humidity between 46 and 60%
    -this is a soil grow, using dirt from the spice garden outside my house. No idea about ph or nutrient levels, probly only use water and see what happens
    -CO2 generator using two bottles, one with yeast water and sugar, the other just water, the CO2 feeds thru air hose to the air intake on the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 10, 2012
    Only three of the four seeds sprouted so I did a little experiment. I put the smallest and weakest one in dirt from a mole mound on my lawn, I put another sprout into potting soil that I got from Home Depot, and the third I put into the soil from my herb garden just outside my house. All seeds were placed about 4" from the lights and put on 24hr "lights on"
    Sep12 the first leaves appeared. I was stoked about this and so I messed with a good thing and put them 2" from the lights.
    Sep14 there was yellowing and browning on the leaf tips of the smaller one. My guess was light burn. Either that or the Home Depot potting soil gave the little plant some nute burn. ??? Dont know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. #3 windtunnel2003, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
    Please bear with me, I have no idea how to post pics and for some reason they are HUGE in this posting.

Sep19, some pretty good growth. Plants are about 30% bigger with apparent secondary growth. I transplanted the two that survived the sprouting phase into the bottom half of gallon milk jugs. Again soil from the herb garden. I'm making a CO2 generator next.
    Sep20, the CO2 generator has been up and running now overnight. Maybe its my bias, maybe the plants really like the new pots or maybe the CO2 is really having a strong effect but there has been some noticeable growth.
    Sep22, the secondary growth has really taken off. The CO2 seems to be amping up the growth rate. The pic shows the second set of leaves nearly matching the size of the first set.
    Sep 23, again, noticeable growth. Third sets of leaves developing. I can't believe how well this PC case is working.

Attached Files:

4. The pics are named 'a' and 'b'. So I guess this means the plants are named 'a' and 'b'. Anyone out there care to venture a guess on the strains I'm growing. They appear to be different strains IMO.

5. subbed!

might be a little hot in there -- leaves look crispy.

how about making the pics a little smaller -- its all up in my face. lol.

either way -- goodluck on the grow.

ill be sure to follow.

6. Thanks for checking out my grow. My temp/humidity gauge says the highs are 87F, lows are 76F. The leaves were definitely crispy, they're sitting about 6" from the lights now. 2ndary leaves look deep green, robust and the tips on first leaves are greening up a bit now. I am now in 2nd week and from what I've read it's time for nutrients. Don't have a clue about the chemistry end of things. I'd appreciate any help.

7. Looking good! I agree, the leaves looked a bit crispy but thats why the baby leaves fall off and new ones come in! Sounds like you have some nice, healthy growth going on there! Will def be back to check in!

8. looks like a good start.

9. #9 windtunnel2003, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
    Sep 26
    The pics are from Sep 25. I changed the lighting schedule to 18/6. Trying to save power, and I think its good for plants to have some down time from the lights. Oxygen absorption and such. The plants are getting indistinguishable. Top pic is 'A', bottom is 'B'... I think...
    The first pic shouldnt be in this post but I cant figure out how to delete an attachment. As you can see it is repeated in the next post - Sep28. It makes for an interesting side by side tho

Attached Files:

10. #10 windtunnel2003, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
    Sep 28
    Still having picture posting problems. Dont know how to bust them down to a lower resolution/file size. They're straight from my iphone. [Edit: just figured it out...duhh]
    The pic below shows how much growth I've seen in the last few days. leaves are hanging over the edges of the pots now. The first two pics are plant 'A', bottom 2 are 'B'.
    IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

11. Lookin' good, man! Healthy, dark green leaves and a nice thick stem. Looks like a future success to me.

How long are you planning on vegging those guys, or are you going by size?

12. How long to veg indeed. Its been a healthy 2 weeks so far. I will try LST on them once the stems grow a bit more. I have zero experience with this. I've never actually SEEN a growing MJ plant in real life. I have lots and lots of vertical space in the pc case, relative to the plant height right now so I am thinking I'll let them veg until the stem works its way around the pot, then go to flower (12/12, 3x2700K, 23W CFL) My guess is the veg stage will continue for at least another 2 weeks. I continue to appeal to anyone who know about soil grows and appropriate nutrients.

13. Sep 29
    These plants are continuing to grow out, not up. Is this normal? Could I have a strain that bushes out and stays really short - I've heard of lowryder or dwarf plants. Would these be dwarf variety?
    Anyways, the 18/6 light seems to be showing the same growth rate, stem/leaf sturdiness, and color as the 24/0 light schedule. I have not added any nutrients, and the CO2 generator is bubbling away, about every 5 seconds a new pulse of CO2.

Attached Files:

14. nice grow you got there, good idea with the co2 generator? how does one make that? :O to answer your question about your plants being short and bushy, they're probably more indica than sativa. meaning they have far broader and not as pointed fan leaves and they grow short and bushy rather than tall and sparse (likea sativa would do). the fact that they're mostly indica probably works in your favour due to the limited space of a PC grow. means you'll probably get a pretty big harvest for such a small space :)

15. Sep 29
    Awesome, thanks Moonshine for the reply. I'm looking for ANY input into the strain and by extension tips on how to grow that strain in my environment. I have just begun my attempt at LST. Both plants were bent over last night just before their 6hr dark time. I used a straightened out paper clip with a hook left on one end for the stem.

Attached Files:

16. Sep 30
    OK the night is done, the lights are on. The plants survive and they are starting to smell a bit. Mostly just like fresh cut grass. The LST had really no negative impact. The leaves that were exposed to direct light had a chance to grow and wow did they grow a lot.

Attached Files:

17. prepare for a more bushier plant my friend.

looking indica dominant for sure.

love the purple stem!

what nutrients are you using? and age of the plants?

18. #18 windtunnel2003, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012
    20 days
    Sep30

The plants were in soil Sep.10 - so about 20 days old
    No nutrients used so far. Tap water that's been thru a Brita filter and CO2 are my only interventions

My CO2 generator setup:

The CO2 generator is simply a 2L pop bottle filled 7/8 full of water, 3 cups sugar, and like 1tsp yeast. I connected the 'sugar/yeast mix' bottle (using 1/4" air hose) to another 2L bottle half full of clean water, then connected that bottle (using 1/4" air hose) to the passive air intake on the pc. The CO2 is produced by the yeast interacting with the sugar and farting out CO2. The air above the murky sugar water pressurizes the first bottle and the gas is pushed into the pure water bottle. The hose goes right to the bottom of the water bottle and the C02 bubbles to the surface - gunk free. The CO2 pressurizes in the air space above the clean water and is pushed out the bottle, travels along the hose to the passive air intake. Very easy, very stealth.

Attached Files:

19. cheers for explaining the CO2 generator :) could be a worthwhile investment. afraid i can't offer any grow tips for your particular strain as its completley unknown :/ what i can tell you is that it should be a fairly hardy plant, easy to grow, largely due to the fact that it is indica dominant. those sativa's are tempermental little things :/ keeps the pics coming, LST is looking good man :)

20. #20 windtunnel2003, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
    30 Days
    Oct 10
    The plants seem to be gettin really bushy and are less than 2" tall. I have been LSTing and upon further reading and analyzing my grow I have figured out that I am pinning the top of the plants in the dirt and this is bad. I have paper clips formed into hooks and hooking the main stem down where the sets of branches form. I should not have hooked down the very top. After releasing the top, it curved up to the light and the stem grew almost 1/2" in 24hrs. All those tiny leaves at the very top were starving for light.

The pics are titled. Notice the burned leaves. These were touching the soil when I added my first round of nutes. I suspect the droplets and puddles that the leaves sat in before full soil absorption burned the leaves. No other leaves demonstrate this kind of burn. Also the pics titled 'LST hook' show what I used to do. Pic are coming soon that show progress with the top of the stem no longer forced into the dirt.

Attached Files: