my first piece, a few options

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by justanextra, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Planning on buying my first piece soon. Have been making homemade pieces for a while now, and in the spirit of the holidays, I've decided its time to get some glass.

I basically want something thats nice to pass around for group sessions, but small enough to travel with (carry in a backpack or a small bag around campus). I have thought about the mflb, but it doesn't seem like a great option for group sessions. Overall, I'm looking for a good balance between good water diffusion and stealth.

Here are the two choices I'm down to now:

1) An ssfg travel tube, showerhead downstem + carbon filter + disc diffused slide
    details: soulshinefamilyglass (ssfg) is a glass company on etsy. Travel tube is about 7" tall, 4mm thick, 38mm tube diameter, beaker bottom, and has 3 ice pinches.
    Other Thoughts: I'm hoping that a carbon filter could remove the need for a sploof, anyone have experience with this? Also, how much of a pain is it to clean carbon pellets every time you want to fill these?

2) A glassdistortion double bubbler
    details: glassdistortion is a glass company on etsy. About 10" tall, 6" long. Glassdistortion has a few different ones, most have a removable 18mm slide, and fixed showerhead downstems.

What do you guys think? Im leaning towards the ssfg travel tube, but I'm not fully decided. I'm also open to new suggestions. I do not want to go over $100. In fact, the cheaper the better.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for bags/cases for carrying a piece around campus safely, let me know.