My first outdoor grow.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Happyjack13, May 6, 2008.

1. Alright, so for a long while a friend of mine had been growing in his basement and often invited me down into the dungeon to show me the ways of the grow world and teach me whatever he can. I've picked up a great deal of knowledge and experience with indoor growing this way, and finally I started my own indoor garden. The quality and potency weren't what was coming from his garden, which he has had years to perfect. But for a first try I thought I came out with some pretty decent bud.

Now I'm going for the outdoor effect.

We talked alot about outdoor plants, and neither he or I have ever attempted to grow outside, however, he does have lots of friends that do, and knows a great deal about it. I've talked to him alot and also have been reading from sites such as ganajaland.com as well as the Marijuana Horticulture Bible. I've got alot of tips and tricks and am excited to be going through this process.

I planted about 2 weeks ago back in the woods near my house, it's about a mile hike up to where the plants are, and no one makes the walk except people walking their dogs, which, its way off back in the trees where the chances of anyone stumbling across them is about the same as Barack Obama announcing he is getting a sex change operation to compete with Hilary. It just isn't going to happen. Most of what I've read and heard is that it's best to plant at the end of May, but the weather has been so nice here I decided 4/20 would be a good day. And it has worked out well, maybe this global warming thing is doing some good, at least until it is in the 90's here in April, then it may be a problem. It's been about mid 60's into the 70's most days since I planted, and the days that have been a little cooler have just been rain rain rain.

I get antsy and want to go see my plants, but I know that is not a good idea and I need to keep the visits to a minimum. But this morning I did go have a look before posting this, just to see how they are coming along, and get a good base for some tips to be thrown in my direction.

I started off clearing a 4 foot by 4 foot plot back up in a niche behind some tree's and shrubs. I covered the top layer with some multipurpose potting soil I had in my garage. I know it isn't the best of soils, and I've gotten many recommendations for foxfarm, which I'm going to be using for my next indoor garden. I spread about 50 seeds across the plot, equal distance apart, watered em up to get them started, and left them to be. The result so far is good, but there are a few problems.

43 of the seeds sprouted into seedlings, an excellent thing, but near the plot there are deer tracks, and I know it is only going to be a matter of time before my little friends are stomped on by some oblivious white tails. Does anybody have some good tips for keeping these large pests away from my friends?

Another thing I noticed is that all of the seedlings have purple stems right now, which could be diagnosed as a nitrogen deficiency. However, I've been told outdoor plants can be different and this may not necesarilly reflect that. It just could be a sign that they are healthy and strong at the moment.

The weather here has literally been perfect for them, raining one day, and then clear skies and mid 70's the next. A few days it's even rained then gotten sunny, then rained again, then sunny all over again, all in the same day.

But that's the start I have and I def. will continue to update this as I go along. If anyone has some tips, tricks, or anything else they would like to share please do, my brain is always starving for knowledge on the topic. Thanks much everyone!

2. Deer? Good luck! They are having their way with my peas, I have a 6' electric fence around my vegtable garden. They will jump, crawl under it, get caught in it and pull it down; relentless. Rabbits and rats are a menace too. Varmits will remain your number one problem.

Decide if you can make a fence of chicken wire without it being noticable to passers-by. If you can that is your best defence. It doesn't need to be tall. Kinda fold the bottom 2 inches and bury/pile up sticks or rocks to keep out the ground varmits. Bend the top of the fence outward to discourage the deer from jumping it. If you cant do that buy some nylon string and make a maze of line around, over, through adjacent trees. Hopefully you can discourage them enough to leave your stash alone. Also, dog and cat hair, dryer sheets, amonia, urine scattered around will make some deturance. Make a close boundry of 'human smells' to let the animals know you have claimed this terriorty. All animals make decisions on sight and SMELL, take advantage of that. If you have dog take it with you when you visit. It can give you cover if ever questioned in route. If you don't have a dog, borrow one;) I will bet your local shelter has the perfect companion for you.

3. Awesome. Thanks for the tips, luckily without even realizing I've been doing a good thing I've brought my dog out there each time I've gone, the whole two, haha, but now that I know at least I'll continue each time I do visit.

I'll have to inspect the area a little better to see how noticable something like chicken wire would be, but from what I am picturing it shouldn't be a problem at all.

4. Just a little update on the life of my little friends. The weather here couldn't be any better right now. I haven't been out to check on my friends, but as long as no creatures have gotten em, they are def. doing amazing.

The weather has been rain and shine all the time. It is either pouring or bright and sunny. And the next 10 days is supposed to be right around 70 with either rain or sun each day. I couldn't ask for a better first try at growing outside.

If every single other plant of any kind in the area is any indication, my plants are doing amazing. I have never seen so many green plants, looking such a healthy green color. I'm extremely excited and cannot wait until the next time I head out for a little checkup.

5. ::UPDATE::

So I went back and visited my garden earlier. My plants, are looking quite amazing. The spot that they are growing in has really started to grow over, which as of right now, walking up on them, unless you know what to look for, no one is going to thing twice about whats growing, and thats a big IF they happen to stumble upon them. I'm sure when those things get bigger they will be more recognizable, but there still some time for that, as the plants around them right now are about 2 feet tall and my babies are around 6 inches.

The trees around them have all grown leaves and so my plants are in a rather shady spot now, but I don't think I have to worry, it isn't severly shaded, and at random points throughout the day I know direct sunlight shines through. Plus they don't necesarilly need direct sunlight to grow completely.

The little ladies (hopefully) are about 6 inches tall as I said before, and they have just gotten their second tier of fan leaves, this with 3 leaves. It is a beautiful sight, I'm glad this is happening, it is only may which means there is still lots of time for them to grow happier n happier.

Sorry, no pictures yet, my camera is over at a friends house and I haven't gotten it yet. When I do that I'll take some and put em up for sure!

6. Hey, just passing by and wanted to say good luck on your grow! Sounds like a nice, promising start to it. I am also going to be growing outdoors for the first time this season, so it's nice to see how and what others are doing. By the way, are you growing bagseed or what? Just curious :) Again, good luck and cheers

7. Yep, I'd been collecting bagseed all winter just for this occasion. I was so antsy to get it started and now that it finally is, I am pretty happy. I will prolly do the bagseed this year and start to get used to growing outside (same way I started inside) and then once I've the basics down, put some money into next years grow.