My first organic grow!

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by highflyinfun1, Mar 20, 2013.

1. #1 highflyinfun1, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
    Hi,

This is my third grow and my first organic grow. The first two grows were not that good. I found my lighting was very lacking and the soil was not very good.

Since then I have upgraded the lighting to a 600W ballast/hood with an Agromax bulb, lined my grow room with Diamond Foil and hopefully mixed a great soil.

I am very excited as this will be my first full grow with great soil, great lighting and a hopefully properly lined grow room! I am also very excited about growing completely organic herb!

Here is what I did for the soil and it is all thanks to Jerry! Thank you Jerry for all your help!!!

With this mix I end up with 3 usable gallons of soil per 5 gallon bucket.

For the base soil:

24 cups of Pro-Mix BX
    8 cups Coast of Maine Lobster Compost
    8 cups Worm Power Earthworm Castings
    8 cups Buckwheat hulls

For the Amendments: All from Fedco Organic Growers Supply

1.25 cups Soybean Meal
    1.50 cups Kelp Meal
    1.25 cups Alfalfa Meal
    1.25 cups Fish Meal
    1.25 cups Neem Cake
    .5 cups Hi-Cal Lime
    2 cups Granite Meal

All these mixed together gets me 3 gallons of usable soil.

The soil has been cooking for 7 weeks and looks really good.

I started the process of germinating 8 seeds yesterday. I wish I knew what they were, but I do not. They did come from some very good bagseed. I used these seeds for my first grow and it was ok. It would have been much better with proper lighting and soil, so I have a good feeling about these seeds.

I hope to germinate 6-7 of the 8 seeds and get 2-3 females.

I did some reading on the 12/1 light cycle and that is what I am going to use. I have tried 18/6 first grow, 12/12 second grow and now 12/1 for this grow.

I guess that is all I have for now until the seeds germinate.

Wish me luck!! :smoking:

Attached Files:

2. Still waiting for germination. Hopefully today or tomorrow. :)

3. how are you germinating?? pics?

4. I have used the paper towel method on my last two grows and it has worked well. Doing the same thing this time. It averages about 3-4 days and this is the start of day three. I am going to post pics as soon as they germinate. :)

5. ok i just like to notice every part of the grow for better evaluation for better experience

6. Well this stinks! My seeds do not appear to be germinating. I have germinated seeds from this batch before without any problems. This is day 6 of germination. It usually took about 3 days. I will try a different set of seeds if they do not germinate soon. :(

7. You're not kidding. I am going to get another set germinating today. Hopefully I will have some luck.

8. OK. So I am trying to germinate another 7 seeds from my first grow and 7 seeds from unknown bagseed. We will see if I can get any of these to germinate.

9. YAY!!!! I have one seed that has germinated and it looks like I am going to get a few more. I will take pics when I get home and post them tonight. These are from my first grow. None have germinated from the unknown seeds I have.

I am going to try and find some pics of my first grow so you guys can see what the plants grown from the seeds I am germinating look like.

Am I the only one who gets excited because some bagseed germinated? :eek:

On a side note, it is pretty funny that the only person to comment in my journal so far has been banned! lol

10. It's aliiiiive!!! 2 seeds so far have germinated and have been planted!

Attached Files:

11. These are pictures from my very first grow and are from the seeds I am currently germinating. You can see the floros (8), the aluminum foil and the dirt is Pro-mix BX with nothing added.

Attached Files:

12. It looks like I am going to get another 2 seeds germinated. I see 2 seeds split open and white inside. Hopefully when I get home there will be a tap root and I will get to plant 2 more seeds!

I will post pics as soon as they pop out of the soil.

13. I planted 2 more yesterday and 2 more this morning! That is a total of 6 planted. The first 2 are starting to poke through the soil! We have life!!!!

I will try and get 2 more to germinate for a total of 8.

I will post some pictures this weekend.

14. Here are some pics of the seedlings. They seem to be happy so far. I had my ballast at 75% and just switched it to 100% this morning. The pics are also from this morning.

ForumRunner_20130402_071826.png

ForumRunner_20130402_071855.png

ForumRunner_20130402_071939.png

15. Everything going well early on. They seem to be very happy. :)

16. They are growing quick. I will post pics when they get their first set of leaves.

17. Everything seems to be going well! :)

ForumRunner_20130410_073805.png

ForumRunner_20130410_073705.png

Attached Files:

18. Looking good. Leaves seem larger than most. Plants are loving you soil mix.