My FIRST Lessons in Photography

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by GGrass, Jun 1, 2011.

1. My first lesson in photography was not actually about taking pictures, but it was about taking other people's advises.

When I first bought my camera, Nikon D60, I couldn't figure out how to use some of the features of the camera, and for some odd reason, I refused to read the manual.

And when I complained to my wife about how this camera is so difficult to use, she said I should read the manual, and again, for some odd reason, I refused to take her advise.

It wasn't until one day, I was so frustrated at not being able to adjust the +/- ev on my camera, I took out the manual in anger, and read the relevant pages on how to adjust the +/- ev on my camera, and I couldn't believe how simple it was.

And suddenly I've realized what a close minded and egoistic person I was. I stubbornly refused to read the manual, and I even refused to take the advise to read the manual.

It was as if I was being blinded by my own image and deafened by my own sound.

And when I finally opened the manual and learned how to use the camera, it was as if the blind fold had been lifted and the ear plugs removed.

Once I started to listen to other people's ideas, I could take much better pictures...

The end

2. I found this because i recently have been enjoying photography, and although its hardly related this makes sense to me. I Have sorta done the same thing atleast i think so. I dont know but i realy think ur making alot of sense.

3. Good post man. Reading/listening to whatever you can get your hands on is so great. Whether it's PDF books about little techniques or listening to a famous photographer talk about their experiences and inspiration. All that knowledge really leads up to some wonderful things.

Aside from reading my manual and just learning about my camera, my greatest lessons came from other photos. I continuously find photographs that inspire me to take my camera out right then and there and attempt to do something wonderful. I then analyze them and try to figure out what they did that made the photograph so great. If they have EXIF data attached, I read through that so I can learn even what their simplest adjustments were. Sometimes I even try to mimic their photo the best I can with what I have. I figure, if I can get a similar result, I may very well be able to use what I've learned elsewhere on a photo that is more uniquely my own.

I'm sorry for the wall of text and the usurping of your thread. I'll stop rambling just as soon as I ask you a question. When are we going to begin seeing some of your photographs? I'd love to see what you can come up with. Or to even watch your progression.

4. A camera... is a magical device.

It can do a lot of... magical things.

Like, make people smile... make people angry...

Make people beg... and make people wave.

It can make people fear, it can make people curious, it can make people shy, it can make people proud...

That is just one thing I have to say about camera.

The relationship between the camera and the people being photographed...