My first indoor/outdoor grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Buddeh, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Hey GC! I have been on this forum for a few months now and I really want to start growing.

Before I start posting pictures, I want to give you some background information on the grow.

First of all, they aren't in pots yet. I am germinating them right now and I'm going to check and see which ones germinated by tomorrow. I want to set them each in pots, I don't know exactly what kinds, but my dad has TONS of nice ones he'd be more than willing to let me borrow. I have a quick few questions.

What side do I plant the sprout in when I plant it?

Can I just use a regular Lightbulb up until flowering?

Do I need to give it nutrients before hand or just water it until flower then supply nutes?

Thanks again, for any help.

2. I'm sure with over 650 posts you have seen the 'search' feature on the forum at least once :p. Many of the growing forums here also have 'stickied' posts at the top to get you started and answer 80-90% of your questions.

Do alot of searching to find more, but to get you started:
    The initial sprout from a seed is the beginning of the main tap root of the plant. Place it in the soil so that it will ideally grow down. Depending on the density of the soil plant the seed no more than 1/4"-3/4" below the surface.

You say regular light bulb, do you mean incandescent/tungsten filament bulb? These are worthless for a grow. Let me say it again and you can search your heart out to confirm it...These are worthless for a grow. If you are trying to keep costs down and don't have the cash for a good HID light get the compact fluorescent light bulbs(CFL's) at any hardware in your area. Search search search! You will find endless info here about growing with CFL's

Nutes are a complex topic but the basics are, do not buy soil that has fertilizer premixed in. Generally don't fertilize the sprouts for about 2-3 weeks(varies by strain). When you start adding nutes don't go full strength at first. Start lower and work up to full strength over 1-1.5 weeks.

If this is indoors also make sure you have some kind of fan creating a breeze near the plant(enough that you see the leaves and plant slightly swaying). This will strengthen the stem so the weight of the plant does not snap he stem as the plant gets taller.

Good luck! :wave: