My First Indoor Grow | 4 x G13 BOG | 5x G13 WW | 600W HID | DR120 5x5

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by funwithgreens, Jun 14, 2013.

1. #1 funwithgreens, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
    Well, I've probably spent a couple hundred hours poring over all sorts of threads on this and other growing subforums, finally felt ready enough to drop the money on a nice indoor setup. Definitely aiming to do it right the first time around for sure :D

Just spent $1400 on a nice setup, committed to doing stuff right, tired of variable quality bud from dealers around here

S&P150S fan
    6" carbon filter
    Phantom 600W + Digilux 600W MH + Ushio 600W HPS
    Apollo Grow Light 6" tube hood
    Secret Jardin PII DR120

View attachment 1229673
    View attachment 1230448
    2013-07-06 09.45.16.jpg
    2013-07-07 12.28.28.jpg
    2013-07-10 18.17.34.jpg
    2013-07-13 12.25.00.jpg

Seeds of choice are G13's 5x Blue OG and 5x White Widow from attitude, hopefully the wallet is stealthy enough.

Method is gonna be soil + lst

Ocean Forest for soil. Fox Farm's nute trio for fertilizer.

Should be pretty interesting to go from pure enthusiast to true connoisseur by all stretches of the word :D Goals are to atleast hit a decent 8oz yield and not fail at things that first-time indoor growers commonly fail at  :smoke: wish me luck

Will try to keep this updated as things fall in place!

2. pics once your set up!

3. #3 funwithgreens, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
    Well tracking shows it made it through USPS processing, wooo :D

It's proving to be difficult to find a retailer that sells large square plastic pots :eek: annoying, gonna have to go with a .75gal for germination and early veg and a 3 gal felt bag for the rest of the training and flowering. the pots are damn expensive >.> Kinda unreasonable that I need to spend $40 for pieces of plastic that hold dirt on top of the thousand I already spent lol.

4. #4 funwithgreens, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
    Woo only stabbed myself once getting seeds out of the g13 Pandoras box =.=
    Widows on the left, blues on the right(more for my own notekeeping in case i forget)
    1371505926035.jpg
    1371506866951.jpg

Here's the official start of the grow :D
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #5 funwithgreens, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
    Well this is a disaster, my ballast doesnt arrive till saturday and all my seeds have germinated already, they're under a 26W CFL desklamp for now :-/

Gotta say, ocean forest is the yummiest looking soil i've ever seen, almost makes me want to be a plant :D

6. #6 funwithgreens, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
    Day 4
    Still waiting for the ballast... Tent is half ready though. Hood shipped missing half screws so it's to the lhs I go
    Need to find more lamps to put this under in the mean time

Attached Files:

7. Day 5 wohoo they're aliiiive!

Attached Files:

8. #8 funwithgreens, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
    Day 7 grr no ballast... I'll make it up with 24 hour lighting when it comes tomorrow

9 Sprouted, 1 blue OG still sitting in its shell :/ gonna take it out and try to germinate it in a towel for longer if it takes more than 2 days to pop

Attached Files:

9. Well day 8, got an inch of growth across the board. STILL NO BALAST CMON FEDEX!!! My setup is complete besides the ballast :(

Tried to find the 10th Blue OG that didnt feel like growing, I dont even think the seed was in there o.o, yeah, I don't understand. 

I think I'll just run a 10 day longer-than-usual veg and attempt to clone one of my other blue OG's, slight OCD makes me want to fill all 10 pots <3

10. #10 funwithgreens, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2013
    ANNNNDD its live! besides the ballast of course, damned ballast said Saturday and now it says Tuesday fucking shipping :(

Here are pics of the 99% complete setup:

2013-06-25 00.22.10.jpg

That insulated ducting... EVERYONE says its better but nobody mentions how fucking hard it is to cut :D
    I've ran the fan, it has pretty good airflow and is whisper silent, much more silent than my AC unit.

Airflow is Carbon filter -> Hood -> Fan -> Exhaust out the top of tent

For those of you looking to build a tent, I found this weaved vinyl strap at my local lowes for $3 for a huge roll, the stuff is super strong and attaches together with a few staples. I'm using it to secure my carbon filter.

2013-06-25 00.22.39.jpg

Special mention to my custom made radioshack-bought 6A double switch junction for the S&P fan, allows me to control ON/OFF and High/Low speed from a really easy interface. Yeah I'm proud of it :D

2013-06-25 00.22.57.jpg

Since ballast has decided to take its goddamn time I got to pace myself atleast, the plants are nearing 2 inches long now though :-/

Last piece of work is cutting up some plywood to hang up to the tent to attach the ballast and power strip to, thats bout it! Hopefully there will be plants in by tomorrow...

11. #11 funwithgreens, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
    Day 10

Finally ballast came... That's a bright light damn :-D

Tent seems solid, only one light leak around seams of one of the socks and around an inch of a zipper, not too bad. Fan airflow is more than sufficient to pull air through, sucks entire tent sides in , gonna be good for when the smell comes.

1372285713123.jpg

12. #12 funwithgreens, Jun 27, 2013
    Close ups. Their weird shape is probably because they stretched quite a bit under the 28w cfl and are trying to catch up in thickness now that I have the fan agitating them.

1372295898660.jpg

13. They are stretching because the cfl was to far away. If you have good control of the temps you can have cfls with in 3 inches or so of the plants. With as stretchy as they are I would either stake them up or transplant them farther down in the soil. You can transplant them to about with in an inch or so of the starter leaves and the part of the stem that's in the dirst will grow roots out of it. For the first week quite often I will just use a couple of daylight cfl`s.

14. #14 funwithgreens, Jun 27, 2013

The biggest problem was that I did not expect the ballast to have been so delayed in shipping. I was relying on one 26W desk lamp to grow all 9 cotyledons. If I moved the lamp down close to 4 pots, the other 5 got almost 0 light, so I had to balance it.

I'll transplant them down tomorrow, probably best so it doesnt snap itself later on

15. Just be carefull when you transplant at this early age the little stems can break easily if not carefull.

16. Nice set-up mate, very similar to mine (only 250w). I didn't pay anywhere rear $1400 though, I hope you didn't get ripped off?

Definitely subscribed.

Its because of what I bought... Phantom ballasts are mid-high end price wise and the S&P Silent fan was $250 which is 2.5x more than your average inline duct fan, but it is worth it because silence was a requirement for this. I also bought G13 labs' seeds which are not the cheapest seeds. It kills me that one didnt germinate(or I missed the soil, somehow o.o). 

18. I appreciate the advice :)

Yeah that's what I thought after I typed it, you've probably got all higher end gear.

Good luck with it.

20. Thx man, appreciate the support :)