Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

My first headshop visit!

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by tubro, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Well I bought my first pipe yesterday, and learned a few lessons (some good some bad). It was a really nice shop with friendly staff, but i kinda blew it when i started asking questions. I am a new smoker, and really had a lot of questions. I think I expected to find employees that would be able to really help me with all the different smoking options and accessories. What I got was a stern lecture and a cold shoulder.
    I told the clerk that my wife and I had just started smoking (I didn't say pot btw) and said we needed like a "starter kit" a decent pipe, an herb grinder and anything else that might be helpful. He stopped me there and asked that i please not use pot terminology like "herb grinder" he said that if I did it would cause problems. I honestly did not know what else to call it but i guess it's just a grinder. My mistake. He went on to explain about calling bongs water pipes and so on...
    Anyway, after that it got kind of awkward. I got the feeling that he thought maybe i was a cop trying to catch him doing something wrong. I continued to ask about the pipes i was looking at, but got mostly guarded answers and weird looks.
    From his point of view I can totally understand his skepticism. After all how many 35 year old guys come in and say that they just smoked for the first time?
    Well I bought a nice tornado spoon and bag to keep it in. I'm pleased with my purchase. I'll pick up a grinder and maybe a nice "water pipe" on a later visit.

Anyway, It would be nice to have a sticky written up about proper headshop ediquite for us noobs that honestly don't know any better.

2. That's not a bad idea bro, the first time I went into a head shop it was a little strange, but your best bet is just to go with someone who is more wise than you so they can just explain everything to you.

-Happy Toking :)

3. Some headshops will kick people out for saying bong or things to that effect.

I doubt he thought you were a cop, but that's just what he has to do. Becuase of the laws on weed, they have to be really careful about their business so it can stay open.

What I usually do when I'm in a headshop looking for something in particular (like a grinder) is when I want to see it I just point to it and say "can I see that one" not "can i see that grinder" i try not to call anything by it's name because I'm not too sure as to what's appropropriate terminology and not. Hope that helps a little bit.

4. i got booted from a headshop earlier this week cuz my friend said bong. They told us not to use the "b word" and that we should try again tomorrow

5. Congratulations :hello: I am a regular at my local head shop and I remembered the first couple of times I said bong and they were like you mean water-pipes...and I was like umm yeaaa. Also, I would tell them I would be looking something that makes my tabacco smoke well :D I bought a nice water-pipe not too long ago, works like a charm. Bought the cleaning utilitiy as well for all under $35.

Good deal!

Be safe, happy tokin!

6. Im surprised he didnt kick your ass out. First time i entered a head shop, i just stared at the bongs, and the two guys working were smoking a huge cigar. They really didnt look happy to see me come in the store haha, idk why.

7. First time I ever went into a shop I was with my brother and wanted to buy a bong. We were looking around and he spotted some small, glass vials and exclaimed "whoa, those look like crack vials." We were kicked out.

2 HOURS later, I still didn't have my bong, I went back in with a friend and NOT my brother. While I was checking out bongs, my friend asked "where are your roach clips?" We were kicked out.

Didn't get to buy that bong until about a week later.

8. Wow that sucks haha. The first time i went in a headshop i was 15 actually, and i was with my friend who was 18 at the time