My first grow...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bigk, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Hey guys, I'm very new to growing and very new to this community....

I just had a couple of quick questions, and would LOVE anyone to answer them....

Well, i'll begin with what my set up is like, I have 125w grow lamp, I don't know what kind... and one very large pot, maybe 10-12in in my closet.... I'm looking only to grow about 2-3 plants.... Which I know will take at least two large pots.... I'm working on it!!! Well , anwyay I have about 8 or so nice sprouts from seeds to choose from, i'm waiting for them to get about 1/4 to 1/2 in length before I plant them.. my questions are as follows....

1. What kind of lighting do I want on the seeds as soon as I put them in ?? I'v heard both 24/0 and also, 18/6....

2. I want my plants to only grow to be about 12 inches because of my closet restraictions.... Is there anyway to get more buds per 12 inches? m I've read cutting branches may split them or some shit and cause more to grow,.,.. is this true?

And lastly.... 3. I've heard that once I get them to the size I want them, to switch lighting to 12/12, how long should I expect to get them to 12 inches?

Thanks a lot for everything, and I was was laso wondering about watering, which i'm not sure is very impiortant.... but if you could leave me some tips on what kind of watering they will need through the cycle, I would aoppriciate that as well....

Such as once a week at first, then in flowering two times, or whatever....

Thanks so much guys, this forums rocks...

2. 1. if you have a MH and not an HPS i think your kinda screwed on the flowering side of it cause MH are shitty for broducking big buds.... and t ostart out on veg 24/0 is great

2. if u cut the top shoot on the branch there will be 2 that split off but it may take a bit to do so... and if your only going for foot tall plants i dount think you can expect that much of a yeild on em but w/e its your closet. although you could train the fuck outa m and keep em at 12 inches and get a buncha buds on em.. not to mention they grow to 3 times their current size inbetween when you switch from 24/0 to 12/12 and when theyr done flowering

3. i cant understand that one at all but something tells me i might have answered it in 2... if not pm me ill hook ya up with the need to know info

3. Well, you did a very good job of helping me with a few of my questions, but how about atwering??

And how can I tell if I have the "right" kind of light?

I've seen the same light i'm using in a few other people's threads and thier plants lookamazing, well at least the lights looked the same... Is there anyway to tell?

4. I stole this light from my school.... it was set up for some freshman labs... It gets very hot, it was either for some kind of growing lab or some kind of heating lamp... but let me tell you, it gets VERY hot very quickly.

5. Does the light plug into a regular light socket or does it have it's own setup?

6. It plugs into a standard socket in the wall, but it has it's own setup in the sense that ithe bulb wouldn't screw into a normal lamp or soemthing, it's has it's own mount and all.... and it's pretty large, like maybe 5-7 inches across....

7. It actually can fit into the tradition 75 w light bulb socket.... Let me describe the bulb to you...

When taken out it resembles a cone... It is about the size of a cd at the bottom, and then the plug at the top... Around the outside there is a mirror like skin... You can see your reflection perfectly in it.... At the tip top, where it can be screwed in... it is colored a violet color, but only where the brass cap is suppsoed to be on for screwing it in... it is VERY BRIGHT and VERY HOT immediately after truning it on.... It comes with an outer shell the is metal to help with high reflections of light.... I'll try and find a pic online, I have adigital camera at my house, but not sure where it is :(