My first grow + grow journal

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 6H057D09, May 24, 2018.

1. #1 6H057D09, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Hey, new here this is my first legitimate grow by myself. Decided I would try to document it here and try to get some help etc. and was hoping I could maybe get some answers to some questions.

Growing 2 plants from seed, I bought an ounce of Girl Scout Cookies and found about 5 seeds and 2/5 of the seeds germinated.

First off, they are in bio-degradeable jiffy pots (was going to use solo cups but was really lazy and on a budget) they seem to hold too much moisture and don't dry out well, I want to transplant them ASAP but want to wait for the root systems to develop. Would they be ok to transplant in a week (taking the soil out of the jiffy pots and putting it into a plastic (~1 gallon?) gardening pot) or should i wait until 2 weeks+?

The plants are in miracle gro standard moisture control potting soil (again I was lazy and on a budget) and I have been watering them with ~1/4 cup Arrowhead bottled water. I ordered some FFOF and perlite but it won't be here for about a week. Is this too much watering or too little? Judging by the feel of the soil it seemed just about right not too damp or too dry on the top.

Using a 36x20x62 vivosun grow tent, 450 watt led VIPARSPECTRA light, but right now running a 600w higrow light while i wait for the 450 to get here (i decided to go with the viparspectra due to the warranty etc. and will be returning the higrow when it gets here). Would the 450W led light be enough to grow 2 plants?

My light is hanging at about 28" above the top of the seedlings, the manual of the light I purchased recommended 36" height until 1-2 weeks after the seedling stage then to lower to 24" for the rest of veg then ~18" for flowering. I thought that was a little high. Is it possible for light burn at the height I'm running now?

It seems like the rope hanger setup I'm using might not get tall enough once the plants get mature. Is there a way to tighten down the straps (not the adjustable hanger) to raise it up higher?

I'm in Colorado where the climate is very dry. Sometimes I get as low as 32% humidity, and temperatures of 81F. While the lights are on, (18/6) I sometimes run a humidifier which brings the humidity up to about 62%. Would they be OK dealing with ~32% humidity while lights and humidifier is off for ~6 hours?

Also waiting for my inline fan to arrive in the mail.

Attached Files:

2. Yea transplant wouldnt be anything to em just be easy like your trying to fuck a virgin also i wouldnt go above 50% humidity and i water my seeds just a little at a time like squeeze a wet paper towel over them but not soak them just get them a little juicy to get a taste of it cant make them lazy and you can always send the girls to the flip once they reach about 1/3 of the height you can handle because flowering hits and they fucking take off for about the first 3 weeks which is really like a pre flower i use foxfarm ocean forest right now my main problem is ph levels which i highly recommend you to manage carefully im currently flushing due to low levels but im no expert just been reading around and gathering tips also dont nute them until they show signs of wanting more then what they have right now in ffof itll be around the 3 week mark and then start off by yhrowing them little by little every plant is different as for light burn if its not to hot on the back of the hand youll be fine just keep air moving in the room so they can breathe never let them go without a fan or moving air lead to many problems especially with high humidity like in the 60's lead to mold and loads of other probs to ve exact id save keep it from 35 to 45 veg and lower then 35 during flower dont want bud rot but easy to not do if you keep the girls getting a nice breeze and cut on humidity
    Let me know if i forgot something you asked not use to replys on here yet lol

3. 6H057D09

Give them more time for the root system. and add a little more soil if you can for supporting that stem...ok
    Looking good you could drop the light a little more so that they don't streach so much. and when you do transplant them you should think big not small for pots.

4. Just so u here a dif opinion i grow indoors and out in like 15% rh or less. I see know issues with that. 77 is the perfect number indoors and i grow in up tp 120 outdoors. Like said above u don't want over 40% rh ever in my opinion
    My summer journal

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

5. Ah thanks, yeah I had a plastic gardening pot that is about ~1 gallon, then I have 5 gallon buckets with drilled holes once it outgrows that one. Would 1 week be enough time for it to develop a root system or should I wait 2 weeks?

6. Yeah that sounds good, I know later on high humidity is a problem which could cause mold growth etc. so I think I should be good on that end, the climate is extremely dry here.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Well i just quit fighting it. Rather have air flow

• Like Like x 1
  8. Myself I give her two weeks. It's not going to hurt her at all. I belkeve the plant will be better off.
    When you do transplant mix two cap full of Hydrogen Peroxide and two mil of Root stimulator to a gal of water. Put that mix in the hole before transplanting and give her another shot after. This helps her with any shock she may go through. I use it every time

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sounds like a good formula, I didn't have any access to root stimulator though. What does the hydrogen peroxide do in that case?

• Like Like x 1
  10. #11 6H057D09, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Ended up doing the transplant today (1 week after the seeds germinated and sprouted and were put into soil) so basically 1 week old today.

It definitely was a little early as the main stems on the plants are still extremely fragile. I believe the new pots I put them into are actually only about ~0.5 gallons also drilled some holes in the sides. I'm planning on only one more transplant which will be into 5 gallon buckets, and I'm hoping to finish the veg stage in these current pots now. Do these pots look big enough to get me through the veg stage? I was planning on vegging for 5-6 weeks (post seedling stage) once the cotyledons have fallen off.

I used FFOF and probably about 5 handfuls of additional Perlite.

After the transplant the plants were leaning a bit from the trauma as their original soil broke up a bit. So I made a little mound of soil around the bases of the stems to give them some support and make them sit upright. But they seem to have made it through the transplant fine.

Something I thought about post transplant, is that they probably should not have any direct wind or air blown onto them if they are transplanted this early because the stems are still extremely fragile. 3.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    16.jpg
    17.jpg

11. Don't stress off the transplant. You can grow rather large plants in smaller containers. Once you see the root popping out the bottom, you're good to go.
    0413182022.jpg

12. She should take off now. Yes i start my outdoor grow in 15 gal min pots. I only transplant when i go from vegging inside to flowering outside.

13. It helps the roots with oxygen
    It helps the roots with oxygen

14. Haha, wow is that in a solo cup?

15. Ah sounds good thanks I might throw in a cap, diluted next watering.

16. Yea. I like to let them grow and get a nice root ball going, then i up pot to 7 gallon fabric pots and watch them blow up.

17. I'll be using Pur water filter tap water for the next month most likely, I live in Denver and the tap water quality is pretty good here, however I did read they use Chloramines, I also read that Pur filters only take out about 40% of the Chloramines. Chloramines would only kill some bacteria and nutrients or can they also burn the plant? I tried to get more information about the water quality in Denver but I couldn't find a pH balance in the report. Could i make a compost tea with tap water and the extra FFOF I have lying around once the nutrients in the soil are all used up later down the road?

18. Yeah that's huge for a solo, how far into veg is that?

19. If you let your tap water set for a few hours it will lose the chlorine. I haven't made compost tea but i do make a tea of sorts. I cut a potato and boil it along with rice, molasses, simple syrup, used coffee grounds and then strain it and cool to feed my soil.