My first grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JHerrer Fan, Jan 7, 2013.

1. So I've got my first grow set up.

4x2 guerrilla tent.
    600w mh/hps
    1000w mh/hps
    2 duct fans
    1 circular fan
    1 carbon filter
    1 5000 btu AC

I'm rather new and not sure of feeding or anything. I'm beginning week 3 and I'm just watering 1 a day with 3 drops of superthrive.

Here's how she looks.

Attached Files:

2. Definitely small for 3 weeks.

Your watering too often. Water when the top inch of soil is dry and the container is lighter. It'll probably take 2-5 days depending on the medium and drainage of your container. When you water, water so that 10% of what you watered seeps out of the drainage holes.

Usually you should start nutrients 2-4 weeks, but your plant is stunted so give it time

3. I had so many issues with heat that I found myself forced to water too often.

Now my heat is 74 and humid is 40 so I'm perfect. I'm thinking ill water again when I see some dryness on the soil.

How long do you thnk to get through this?

4. Water when the top inch of soil is dry. The roots need oxygen to be able to thrive

5. Ok so ill keep to that. I had an issue where I had heat accumulating at the bottom of my tent so I got up to 90 degrees a few times and noticed the dry soil. Ill sit back and water when needed now.

Thanks.

I've been mixing super thrive and some clone nutrients every other day or so. Should I cut that out completely?

I also have some fem sour seeds comin. Should I scrap this seed and just start fresh since I know everything is working fine.

Also. I've seen lots of ppl with just two bulbs growing seeds or a tub with led strips across the top. Any idea on where I can order all that stuff or which ones i would need?

I want to be able to raise clones outside my tent for the first 2-3 weeks of germination

Thank you again

6. I'd stop those nutes, yes.

You can if you want, be careful germing and sprouting genetics! They are costly.

Do you already have the 600w light? If so, LEDs and Flouros wont be needed. You may want to start them out under a few CFLs before putting them under the 600w, but isn't necessary.

What do you mean by raising clones during germination?

7. I want to be able to have this strain going and then start another strain right behind it. I'm not sure if this is a male or femal that I have now and what I'm getting is female so that's kind of where I'm at.

So I was thinking of startin the sour outside the tent but if you recommend against it ill follow suit

Not sure what CFL's are.

8. #8 BYOweed, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
    Where are you getting the clones from?

I would grow out your clones, then when your a few weeks before harvest start your sour seeds in a sterile room or in a veg box/tent. By the time you harvest the clones you'll be able to either continue to veg the sour, or flower it right away

CFL, Compact Fluorescent Lighting. They are the energy friendly swirly bulbs

9. So I need to start working on this outside room area. I'm thinking a little Rubbermaid box. Any ideas on what I would need to fit 5 seeds/clones growing through week 1-3. Lmk. Thanks

10. What do you mean grow out my clones? Let them flower ?

11. It'll have to be a big rubbermaid bin, I'd grow 4 so they all have a square section of space. Fit the widest 4 containers you can into the space. I'd use 4-8, 23 actual(not equiv.) watt Daylight(6500K) CFLs. Then, cut out a hole for a PC fan at the top for exhaust. Should work nicely

Let them grow until harvest

12. I'm so sorry but most of that is French to me. Where can I get CFL's and the fan?

Will I need a timer for this?

13. #13 BYOweed, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
    You can find CFLs almost anywhere. Hardware stores should have a bunch of different wattages.

Get the ones with a color temp of 6500K, and actual wattage 23w. (Equiv will be around 100w)

Y-splitters come in handy as well. They allow two bulbs per lamp.

Here's a link with info on CFLs:

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/122824-kamels-cfl-guide.html

Here is what you should look for:

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix...4DL-Great-Value-23W-Daylight-CFL-4pk/21778167

14. Great. What about the fan?

Would led be easier to put in top of a bin. How tall should the enclosure be?

15. #15 BYOweed, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
    PC fans are pretty easy and cheap to find. Here are cheap ones on ebay, http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_box_?k=PC+fan

Quality LEDs are exspensive. I wouldn't waste the money on lower wattage ones, they always seem a bit sketchy. If you want to go LED, I'd get a quality model for the tent

I'd give them 1-2 ft from the top of the container to the bulbs. You can get the bulbs 1-2 inches away from the tops. I would train, such as LSTing or Topping. Here are stickies for both methods.

Topping/Fimming:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/122559-how-fimming-topping-made-easy.html

LST(Low Stress Training):
    http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/122936-how-lst-low-stress-training.html

16. Great. I got a grow journal. Ill continue posting pics there and ill start the Cfl project as soon as I find a bin worth using. LED seem more difficult to find