My First Grow--Trainwreck

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Sicore, Oct 11, 2011.

1. #1 Sicore, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
    Well, I have been wanting to do this for a long time and now I am finally going to give cultivation a shot. I have done some research and I have a plan, I am still open to suggestions though.

This whole thing started when I picked up some trainwreck a while ago from my guy. He informed me that this weed had been grown outdoors in the 'mountain' town Nederland. This weed was potent! Anyway, I noticed the were seeds in the larger bud, most of them green and undeveloped but there were five of them that looked mature and viable. With seeds this nice looking from such a good genetic line I have to try and grow these!

I will only be growing ONE plant

I will be growing under:
    4 x 26watt CFL at 5000k for vegetative growth
    6 x 26watt CFL at 2700k for flowering

I will be growing in:
    80% Fox Farm Ocean Forrest soil
    20% Perlite

Nutrients:
    Fox Farm Grow Big
    Fox Farm Tiger Bloom

I have a seed in germination now (paper towel method) and will have under lights 18/6 in a small grow box as soon as the seeds pop. Plan to veg till approximately 12" height. Then I will switch to 12/12 and hopefully have a female! I will take pictures and plan to update at least weekly. Thanks for looking guys and let me know if you have any input.

Here's a pic of the bud this seed came from.

[​IMG]

2. The seedling broke the surface today! It had been a little over 24 hours after planting the germinated seedling before I noticed her above the soil, husk still clinging on. Very excited to see the birth of what will hopefully be a healthy female!

I have also updated my grow box. I elected to use two 26W 6500k CFLs and two 26W 5000k CFLs instead of going with all 6500k. I have a 6 inch fan to circulate air in the box but temperature isn't an issue. I am planning on either installing a mylar or white covering for the walls of the box, I hate to lose light that way =/. Plan to start nutrients in two weeks, start flowering in four weeks.

Something I have yet to do is to acquire a ph meter...on the to do list for sure, likely will get one tomorrow. Anyway let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

This is the inside of my box, reflective wall papering to come soon.
    [​IMG]

Cotyledons peeking out of a split husk! Yay! My girl's birthday
    [​IMG]

3. Ah snap! It's a-sprouting! Don't buy a cheap ph meter they suck and never work properly.
    And 2 weeks old is too early to start feeding the cotyledons should still be feeding the plant at that point.. wait till they dry up and fall off which could be earlier then 2 weeks or longer than... and ffof has strong nutrients in it anyways so I would be careful with feeding it.

4. Yeah I was planning on feeding at 1/4 strength to start but I might just wait, Like you said, FFoF really does have a ton of nutrients...

5. Update:

I am now growing two plants instead of one! A seed that I did not expect to sprout popped up on me late last week. So I am now running 8x26w CFLs now for a total of ~104 watts per plant. Here they are at day 5.

Trainwreck #1

[​IMG]

Trainwreck #2

[​IMG]

6. Update:

Will be addressing pH and ventilation issues this week. Going to purchase some dolomite lime for correction purposes. Moving the grow from the basement to the closet due to the cold nights and trying to workout a more solid method of clearing the air than a 6" mini fan just blowing hot air out....

Anyway here are some pics. Now at 11 days.

Trainwreck 1

[​IMG]

Trainwreck 2

[​IMG]

7. Well, it has been a while since I have updated this thread. Mostly because I had very little access to my grow :( But we are back now!! Turns out that one of the two trainwreck plants was a male, which I had kinda expected just by the way he was growing. He was a pretty sickly plant and had some weird leaf deformations...so I am not to upset about it.

So I am down to one plant like I had intended from the start. I started 12/12 on the 22nd of November when she was about 18" tall. She is now about 35" and developing lots of wonderful white pistils. She seems to be doing well even though she stretched quite considerably under my underpowered CFLs once i switched the photoperiod. She is in a 3 gallon pot of FFOF. I have been watering as needed which is about every 3-4 days with molasses every other watering and feeding a mix of veg and bloom formula every 3 waterings (gradually weening off the veg formula till about the end of week two then I will feed bloom exclusively). Under 100w of 5000k CFLs above her with another 100w of 5000k/6500k as side lighting. I will switch to 2300k at the end of the second week to minimize stretch (which is already bad enough lol).

So what do you guys think? How am I doing? I feel pretty good about this grow so far for how much time and money I was able to invest but I am very open to any suggestions you experienced growers out there might have for me :)

Some pics

Yay! It's a girl!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Well we are coming up on 4 weeks since I switched to 12/12. She was 18" tall when I made the switch and now she is just about 40". Lots of stretching due to it being sativa dominant and my weak CFL lights but I am happy overall. Here are some pics of the buds, more later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Still got a couple weeks to go, thought I would put up a bud shot since I have been neglecting this thread again =)

[​IMG]

10. I have officially chopped this plant. Ended up flowering for approximately 10 and a half weeks and the buds look great! I'm estimating 1-1.5 oz as far as dried weight goes (not bad for CFLs I guess). The smell is very interesting; tropical and fruity with a sweet stank to it. I maintained this thread poorly but this grow was definitely a success. Now I have a Blueberry seedling in the veg room and I plan on attempting a revegetation of this trainwreck. I plan on upgrading to an HID lighting system as well.

I'll post pics of the drying buds shortly

11. nice grow man, i'm really very impressed. sucks i caught your journal after you harvested. i mean it is your first grow right? you must have done well while you were researching, cuz i've seen a few journals on here of peoples' 3rd or 4th grow and don't look half as good.

you gonna start a new journal soon? are you gonna do just 1 plant again? i'm still waiting on a couple things to come through the mail and then i'll be starting my grow as well. i'll only have 2, cuz the thought of any more terrifies me lol.

12. judging from the pic above, you had a lot more than a couple weeks left to go, CFLs seem to take a long time to finish the bud to full potency. wish u had some pre-chop pix... I got about 1-1.5 from my CFL grow too.

13. #13 Sicore, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
    Yeah, this is my first grow, more of an experiment than anything. I will be growing one Blueberry seedling gifted to me by a friend. Apparently it has had a rough life so far so hopefully the stress didn't turn it male =(.

I do not have pre-chop pics unfortunately, but the buds were far more mature when I harvested than in the last picture I posted. They could probably gone another couple of weeks really. The tops all kept putting out new flowers right up until 10 weeks. Unfortunately I was forced to relocate and had to bring it down early for the move. I bet the buds would have gained a lot more weight had I been able to let them fully ripen. Here are some bud shots of the dry cola and two other tops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Well my final dry weight came out to be 75.8 grams.Or about 2.7 ounces. I'm very pleased with this =)

15. Nice work!