My first grow setup

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Electrojunkie2765, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Hello this is my very first grow so of course I'm going to make mistakes everyone does. I don't have a lot of money since I have tickets to pay So I taped 2 cardboard boxes together, sealed the box Off with duct tape and cut out the middle piece. I painted the box on the inside with about 5 layers of white ceiling paint to reflect the light and to prevent mold since the box will absorb moisture since I can't get Mylar at the moment. I wired an old PC fan to a phone charger for the outtake fan and I have a tiny fan hooked up to the back pumping the fresh air in. My question is how can I ventilate the box so my cfls won't heat up the box into spontaneously combusting which is bad!!!!!! Any input would help thanks

2. I did a box to start lol it works but you will upgrade hshs i did any way in mine i had a 250w cfl basicly you want a hole at the bottom cool air and a hole with a fan at the top extracting the warm air this creates a negitvie pressure so air flows in the bottom up cooling tge plants and giving them fresh co2 then on to takeing heat away... now cardboard self ignition is about 800c so unless you got some freaky cfl that get really hot you should be ok but id go for the big type so 125w+ as these seem cooler than the smaller ones semms odd but true... tho after a while the the box will become weak to just keep that in mind i upgraded to a woodem box then s tent but the box was more of a test

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I'll eventually upgrade to something more durable of course can't use this box forever lol but thanks for the advice plants just finished germinating got a couple of days till the veg stage starts hopefully all goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Just dont go hps :) not untill you got something less flamable my box lastex bout 4/5weeks before it became soft i gave it 11 coats of paint and tried sealing it but it will slowly degrade

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I would highly recommend an old tv cabinet. You can find them used on Craigslist and often free. I took the shelves out of an old one my girl had, and to this day that is my germination chamber. I just lined it with panda paper, its like white plastic paper cheaper than mylar not as good though.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

6. T5 Lighting FTW in this case. You are in the south right ? So dealing with heat and not an adequate growing structure or air flow system set up will be much easier with a T5. After winter is over. Plus its a great light for beginners. Easier on the budget too because they are self ballasted and they save electricity.

7. I actually am in the south but my grow room is.
    In the basement where the temperature is constant it's about winter time but the room stays at about room temperature throughout the year

8. Keeo your eyes peeled...its amazing what people will throw out. Cabinets, dressers, entertainment centers are out there for the taking.

9. Yep yep it's my first grow so I'm going to try and do it the cheapest to get the hang of it then upgrade my equipment down the road I'm just messing with the crap green we have down here so I don't waste 10 bucks a seed and have nothing to show for it I actually have a dresser to convert into a growbox but gotta wait to fix it up perfect if I'm going to do it and upgrade I'm going to do it right :)

10. Right on... ICMag has a ton of DIY threads if you can't find it here. Read all you can and arm yourself with as much information as you can stand. Keep it simple, learn to walk before you run and above all learn to read your plants. If you kill a few in the process no bother so long as you learn from your mistakes and successes.

11. Great I'll check it out I gotta give my buddy ganjagroman props for introducing me to all the books an knowledge from these resources. I've learned that it doesn't hurt as well to always strive to learn more because eventually you will catch things you never read and apply it to your own grow style

12. I know people that have been at this for years and years that still learn new things. Growing in general is a great outlet. Before you know it you'll be growing all sorts of shit. Lol.

I first learned (before the net came along) from an old grower that was also a farmer....after my hiatus I decided to go with coco and spent hours researching what was rather foreign to me. My only setback was my lack of properly charging the coco, but since then its been smooth sailing. Only after getting a handle on the basics did I venture into teas and such to improve on what were already solid results. Its been a lot of fun and now I no longer have to resort to relying on others for my meds.

Feel free to shoot me a pm any time. If I can ill be glad to help. Cheers.

13. I had already read the majority of 3 grow bibles before I came to the city so I just went straight to the organics section rather than hang out in beginners...i wanted to know not just the beginners basics but also the more intermediate techniques.organic growing forums man. That's where its at. ;). I regret even ever starting with bottle nutes. Its like cheating. Plus its not as good for you and doesn't taste as good. Dude there are an incredible number of invaluableteachers on here on the subject just to name a few who taught me a lot seandawg and microbe man oh yea forgot to mention corky, dumdumdummy, and comfrey query. Look up the threads I've participated in and see how some have 1,000 plus replies and are still goin haha. There is a DIY tutorial section on this site as well. Faye's Coffee Can Cloner Is the bees knees. Smoke anotha one brah haha.

14. Here's a status update on my seedling it's about 5-6 inches in height about to sprout its 3rd set of leaves ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1382752431.062295.jpg

15. Add another vote for finding something free on craigslist to upgrade your box. A dresser, tv cabinet...anything like that would actually last you if you take care of it.

Other than that welcome to the party. Read and research every chance you get because it will only allow you to grow more and better bud so it's worth the time investment! Good luck man!

16. I actually have a dresser I'm converting now

17. Ahh I missed that. Rock on! The early investments will pay off later when you have less stuff to immediately upgrade or repair.

18. So my plant is about 2 weeks old it's sprouted it's 2nd set of true leaves but I've noticed that the stem is a reddish burgundy color is this normal or do I have a problem on my hands I water every time the soil drys out so it can't be overwatering any help?

19. Well sometimes a red stem can indicate signs of stress, although I'm not exactly sure from what in your case.

20. Check out my Faye's Coffee Can Cloner haha amazing.

Attached Files: