My First Grow Room....Pics + Questions

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by roachkiller, Feb 14, 2009.

1. your gonna wanna get alot more bulbs in there but they are looking pretty good so you must be treating them right

2. Nah, I can just flip the cup over and the dirt+roots come right out, I can just dig a cup shaped hole in the dirt and pop them in.

That box thing is a good idea though, I've been tryin to figure out a way to have a veg. area and a bud area in the amount of space I'm gonna have. Before I started growing, I didn't realize how small the plants are during most of the veg. period. And do you know where I could buy the rooting hormone??

3. Hey man, thanks for the pix.

I'm looking at setting up something pretty similar to what you've got going on.

I'm having some trouble finding the adaptor that would allow a light bulb to be plugged directly into a wall outlet, like you've got in your setup...

What the crap are those called? Can anyone find a link to one online?

I'm assuming you picked them up from a store locally?

4. Just go to home depot or lowes and ask for a light socket that plugs directly into an outlet, they should know what you are talking about...at least they did when i asked.

5. Props on the grow, I'm starting my first soon as well and got some good tips from this thread.

roachkiller did you used to play CS under the nick "killa roach" ?

6. 3 and a Half Week Update
    The plants are looking pretty strong....I decided to get rid of the smallest one because it was just growing too slow, so now I'm left with 4. They are all starting to grow new leaves at the nodes and are sprouting all kinds of leaves from the top. The only problem so far is on one of the leaves, It looks like I might have some kind of nutrient burn or a fungus, but I cant tell which, even with the help of Jorge Cervantes' fucking amazing grow bible. The pics arent that clear, but any help would be appreciated, its the last pic...
    random 006.jpg

Attached Files:

7. lowes sales a rooting hormone for like 2 to 5 bucks i think but its a powder i think

menards sales gel!!!

8. man those damn things look great

good job man!!!

so have u built u a small box or got u some cardboard yet???

What is your light schedule???

what kind of nutes r u using!!!

9. No, I haven't done that box yet. I think the plants will be staying at my house, and I definitely don't have enough room in that closet. Ive been thinking about doing something in my attic though.

For the lights, I started the seedlings on 24/0 until week three when I bought the 6500k CFL's and a timer. Right now they are on 18/6.

No nutes yet, just the ones that are already in the Miracle Grow soil. I know miracle grow isn't supposed to be that good for MJ, but I didn't really know until after I put the seedlings into the soil. When I transplant them, I'm thinkin about mixing the MG soil with some pearlite and peat, maybe like 70-30 or somethin.

10. Just curious... what did you end up doing to control the smell? They look pretty small so they may not smell yet but i was just curious. I had to buy a carbon scrubber for my cabinet, but im just curious whats working for you.

11. they're not gonna smell like anything at this point

12. Yea, the smell is very mild right now, I'm thinking about buying a few plug in air fresheners that will go directly in the closet....I really have no way to make a ventilation system. I think I should be safe though, the only people that really go into my room already know whats going on in the closet.

13. I bought a couple plug in air fresheners and it didnt do anything for me. about 4 weeks into flower my whole house smelled.
    Good luck though man, i hope it works out for you.

14. #34 roachkiller, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
    Were you using a seed-bank bought strain? I've heard that the amount of stink depends a lot on the strain, and the seeds I'm using were definitely not from anything special...And how big is your house?? Was it the ENTIRE house or just one floor? And is the carbon scrubber you bought not need air ducts? Is it kind of like a dehumidifier that just sucks up air?

15. No i didnt get anything from a seed bank i started with a clone given to me from a friend. I have a couple different strains right now and i have one that stinks bad, the rest are ok. I have a 2 story house around 700 square feet. The ENTIRE house smelled as soon as you opened the front door. Yeah the carbon scrubber i am using needs to be plugged into a fan, its not like a dehumidifier. I was looking at your pictures and ive seen a set up similar to yours, they drilled a 4 inch whole in the ceiling and vented it out that way. But obviously that is taking it to a new level especially if you are renting.
    No matter what strain you have i think you are gonna run into smell issues later in your grow. especially when harvesting.
    Have you ever thought about buying a ozone generator, those things work great.

16. #36 roachkiller, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009

I was thinking about using an air ionizer, but while I was looking those up in the forums, I came across some info about odor eliminating CFL's. Alot of people said they work really well, heres the link to the page if you want to check it out for yourself....

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/258404-2-points-cfl-revolution.html

Maybe I could combine 4 of those with one of the refrigerator sized ozone gens.

17. In veg I just run all 6500k and see no need to add 27k... in flower I do mix, so I get growth and bud development... 75% 2700k and 25% 6500k

18. #38 roachkiller, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009
    Just to update anyone who cares, I just transplanted the plants into 8'' containers last night. I used a mix of my Miracle Gro soil and barely fertilized(less than 1-1-1) cow manure, probably about 35/65. I took a peek at them about 2 hours ago, and it looks like they didn't really have any transplant shock except for the one that I tore out of the soil a little bit when I was taking it out of the solo cup. Yes, I know, I'm a stupid ass. But other than that the transplant went pretty well, I'll post pics later tonight or tomorrow.

I was thinking about doing that, and I bought a few extra light sockets for the flower stage, I figured a little more vegging couldn't hurt.

19. Those lights are sick! I hope they work out for you man

20. Would I be ably to get away with growing like 1-3 plants with just 2-4 of those cfl's do you think?