My first grow results

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Poorboy, Sep 18, 2016.

1. My first grow, right before harvest. I used a t8 light to finish. Getting 400w hps/mh digital ballast in a few days to start a new grow.

Attached Files:

2. That's all the roots you had ? Did you keep it over watered ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 InvasionANC, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    T8 as in shop fluorescents basically, I think. I use them for clones, seedlings, and small plants, but they are not at all suited to flowering. I am assuming the guy is aware that this isn't a lot of bud, but it definitely looks like some bad, over watered soil.

You need to add perlite to that next time and not water until the top 2-3cm are totally dry. Lemme repeat that. Do not water until the top 2-3cm are totally dry. Lemme repeat that...seriously though, over watering is the absolute most common mistake. You can use your shop lights for veg if you'd like, but you should make sure you have a good spectrum. I use 2 x 3000k and 2 x 5000k for seedlings and clones. You absolutely need a better medium. Go to a hydro shop and buy some promix* with good drainage, I also recommend sticking with a simple base nutrient line for your first grow. Fox Farm doesn't usually work out well for beginners, I always suggest Canna Terra Vega & Flores or Botanicare Pro Grow & Bloom for soil. Canna is the amazingly simple to use and I prefer it, but if it isn't available Botanicare is almost as simple and I have gotten good results in soil with it. You'll learn as you go, but those are the things I would focus on.

*I would actually more highly recommend switching to coco in 2-3 gallon root pouches (cloth pots carried at most hydro shops) but it would require you to buy a Cal/Mag additive. I use Botanicare Cal Mag Plus but Advanced Nutrient's Cal Mag actually isn't bad, either. Coco fibers absorb and hold on to these elements, I can't remember exactly why, but it almost always requires supplementing Cal/Mag, especially when using Reverse Osmosis water. Use Canna Coco A & B for base nutrients.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Congrats on making it through and getting one to harvest. I think it's pretty obvious how badly you need better lighting if you're going to continue to grow these plants. When you consider that the sun is the "standard," and that man has created nothing that will even compare to the sun, you can see why having the strongest light possible for these plants to flower under is so important. It's not such a big deal during veg. We veg with T8's, but when it comes to flower, we use 4000 watts of hps for a room that is about 10x12. If you want each plant to produce the absolute most it can, you've got to give each plant enough wattage and adequate space since crowding up a bunch under a single lamp for the sake of growing "more", is just shooting yourself in the foot and shading out any undergrowth development. Also, before you start anymore plants, I suggest you do some serious reading about how to tend these plants, the grow medium you should be using and how to water and feed. Having lights to grow under is only half the battle. Unless you fully understand how to tend the plant and get it to grow it's best, you're not going to get much of a harvest ever.

Grow normal strains, keep pot size and plant size near the same for faster foliage growth, never ever water your plant until it feels dead dry and keep the pH of the water you give within the proper range for a soil grow (6.3 to 6.7) to keep the plant's roots open and healthy to accept water and food. Use tap water...no filtered water, because there are micronutrients in tap water that the plants need and use. If you're in the US, straight from the tap is fine. If in EU, it needs to sit for 24 hours to evaporate chlorine off.

Just go read up on what you're doing here to improve the harvest of the next plants you grow. The more plants you grow, the better you get at doing it. But you simply MUST have the light/wattage to flower these things off and get them to produce like they should. A 400 watt light like you're talking about buying is going to be good for about 1 plant. It will grow off a single plant nicely, but I don't think it's strong enough for more than that. Always remember, better light grows a better plant. Good luck! TWW

• Like Like x 2
  5. Looks like you chopped a few weeks to early to me. That being said, pretty awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  6. TWW, you are quite knowledgeable and I'm not disagreeing with so much as questioning your statement about a 400 only supporting one plant because I think that's a little misleading. I let my plants veg for 6 weeks until they are roughly 12-14 inches tall, I would have to let it veg for several more weeks and do quite a bit of pruning and bending to fill the footprint if I were going to use a single plant. People doing SOG often have a single plant per square foot. A decent 400 watt HPS with adequate reflection can easily cover an 8-9 square foot area which is usually about three plants for me and my plants usually grow to 250% of their size at the beginning of flowering. Granted, I clear the lower half of the plant entirely, but that has more to do with penetration than trying to squeeze too many plants under it. I think it really depends on the style and arrangement the garden. For a beginner that isn't planning much pruning or topping, I think 2-3 plants under 1' will fit just fine.

7. Thanks alot for the input. I will try my best to keep the watering to an absolutly need to need basis. I am also leaving out the fact that this plant had an accident where it lost 5 of six main branches while in late veg due to a lighting accident with a small cfl.
    It was my first grow and i am happy to have made mistakes that i can learn from rather than bave everything go right until it goes wrong.
    I will probably stick to the soil i have at the mommebt. It is enriched with compost (proper compost that has broken down into dark soil) and horse manure. It doesnt smell as one would think.
    Anyways, thank you for the tips and i only plan on having one to two plants. I dont smoke weed anymore, unfortunately/fortunately, but i do have interests in making salves for topical ailments. Anything extra goes to the spice rack for cooking or to the gf for that occasional joint.
    Thanks again guys! I might post my new progress as it happens :)

8. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you supposed to harvest when most of the hairs turn orange? This plant looks like it's still freshly creating buds and he chopped it off half way through it's flowering cycle.

9. Jealous much!

10. Using a combination of both the number of dark pistils and the ratio of cloudy to amber trichomes is a good way to determine when to harvest. I start checking my trichomes when about 70-80% of the pistils have turned, and as soon as all of the trichomes are cloudy I begin my flush. By the time I harvest, there are about 5-10% amber trichomes and only about 10% of the "hairs" might be white, usually very few. If your trichomes are still clear and resemble glass, you aren't getting the most THC out of your plants. If you wait until most of your trichomes are amber, you'll effectively have a wonderful sleep aid.

11. Dont think that question was directed at you. Just another person pointing out that the plant was chopped too soon. Good information though!@

12. These are pics of my finished bud. They had about 40% white hairs actually, and the trichromes seemed like they were mostly milky with some glassy looking ones. Not doubting it might have been early, but it still had properties of a harvest that would have some thc.
    As you can see; i used the bulk of the nugs to produce a coconut infused oil. I mixed in some argan oil to make the weed smell less noticeable and just one tiny tiny drop of vanilla. The oil cooled to a translucent "spread". I use it for my gfs wrists who complains about her tendonitis. The idea was to make a topical cream to releif her pain. So far its a success, but wondering if it actually works.

Attached Files:

13. That's cool for your first grow man, and even cooler you are trying to make medicine out of it. I just grow mine to smoke. I do however suffer from anxiety and slight depression, I think it would be interesting to see what I could do about it with marijuana. Marijuana always makes me paranoid which increases my anxiety. I haven't smoked in months but I have a grow going right now.

I would suggest you opt for a 600 Watt system though, 400 will more than do the job though. My first grow I started small and then it was never ending expansion(s) after that.

But yeah, that's not bad for your first time around with the light you were using. I've seen people do a lot worse! You will notice much better results with the MH/HPS system.

I would also suggest making a grow journal. If you do often times people will subscribe and answer any question, and resolve any problems you have.

Good luck on your next grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Ah, neato Troon.

I may so that. A grow journal is totally something i would be interested in making.
    My grow is in my room at the momment, no space elsewhere. The 600w light looks tempting, though my room already gets super warm if i dont remeber to close the door while im cooking. Around 80f if the door is open. 76 when closed. And when im not cooking its around 74.8