My first grow! Have a few questions for the city!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by 420wolfie, Nov 4, 2009.

1. I do not have any pictures of yet, i'm still waiting on the half dozen orders i've placed with a half dozen prepaid cards to arrive ata half dozen places.

Anyway, I'm doing a 4 plant bubble bucket setup that i've gleaned off these wonderful forums...I'll be using 16 (Am i the only one that thinks that's a crazy number?) 24-watt CFL lights.

These lights are strung on two seperate heavy duty extension cords and plugged into a single outlet, which is the only thing running on that breaker. (if anyone thinks that is a terribly unsafe idea, let me know. i've already ran these light strings on a much lower quality extension cord and had no problem with tripping breakers or overheating wires. and that was done in a room with a plasma screen tv and three computers. all on.)

I'm using Fox Farms nutrients, with seeds obtained from marijuana-seeds.nl(white lightning) a decent sized water pump and air pump (3 air stones) and the aforementioned horde of cfl bulbs.

My question remains though, is it possible to use LST with a setup like i've described? It would allow me to just hang my lights enmasse, uniformly of course, above the plants rather than having to rig a big cube out of 16 light bulbs. (even if i can't do a full circle, i can do 4 quarter or half circle. My tote is even big enough i can rig a spiral pattern with my 4 girls if I use 3 inch net pots )

This is my last question i believe before i feel confident enough to finish putting it all together. I greatly appreciate any help given.

2. Nothing at all guys? I don't need a detailed explanation on the LST question....If someone could just tell me whether or not LST works well with a hydroponic setup, i'd be eternally grateful.

3. idk if it does man, the LST ive seen requires you to anchor the plants stem along the ground with the help of the soil, in theory i guess you could do that with hydro.

4. Pics are really helpful for getting advice on stuff ;-) Sounds like your LST may work here, just remember you have to tie them down to something and they need lots of horizontal space, so depending on your grow area size (unknown) and your bucket layout (unknown), that would really determine how viable LST'ing will be for you.

It definitely works with hydroponics though!

You may want to check into the ScrOG method, with a wide spread of lights & bubbler this seems to work really well.

5. I still don't have pictures but i can elaborate a little. All i've been told is to not take pictures with my iphone, even though I have the location services turned permanently off.

My grow space is 43" by 22" by 10' (a closet) my box is about 30" by 20" by 36"

My bucket uses either 3.5" or 5" net pots arranged in a square pattern, I have tons of space on the top of this box, even if i can't do what the LST guide says to the letter, i can pin them down to the box with fish hooks and string no problem...

Is it possible to only use LST for a few nodes and then just let it grow like normal?

6. Sounds like the LST would do fine there, especially since you have a height to deal with.

To be honest, there's no real 'wrong' way to LST, just less optimal ways. Weed grows like a weed, so as long as the light & nutes are OK it will grow. I would top after the 5th node, start tying everything you can, and top again on the 5ths. After the 2nd round you should have some serious bush, and you can leave it be through harvest. Sounds fine on paper!