My first grow......grow log

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tokamoto, Feb 14, 2014.

1. So I have been reading GC a lot over the last few weeks and figured I would create a profile and start logging my progress.  Perhaps get some help from you more experienced growers out there!

I started with 3 bag seeds and germinated them in paper towels, a zip lock bag and plates.  After a few days all showed root and then I planted them in high end potting soil and peralite.  

It's been exactly 14 days since I planted them in the dixie cups and have been watering them carefully as well as had them under a 100w equiv CFL.  First week 24/0 and the last week 18/6.  Today my grow tent came and I bought two more 100w equiv CFL bulbs.  What you see below is my experiment with the light setup for now.

I have read a lot and most experienced growers advise getting a MHS for flowering.  My questions are if I decide to stick w CFL's how many more will i need for a good yield?  

When should I start adding nutes?  And what kind?  

When should I switch to 12/12?  How long before I can determine the sex?  Given these are bag seeds I realize the risks associated with not knowing the strain or make up of the plant.  

And anything else anyone would like to share, I would love the advice!  Regardless it's only been 2 weeks and I'm excited about learning more.  

View attachment attachments.zip

Attached Files:

2. trying to fix the pics

Attached Files:

3. Is that tinfoil?

Sent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. No i'm pretty sure its mylar.  I bought a small grow tent I found online.  

5. Ah OK, cool. Looking good so far.. mine are 35 days from seed, 2 days of 12/12

Attached Files:

6. your gonna need more light..i have a small tent too... I recommend something like this, I have this one and I also have the 2700k spectrum one for flowering.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-FLCDG125D-Fluorowing-Compact-Fluorescent/dp/B001UV6P9I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392358742&sr=8-4&keywords=hydrofarm

or you can just keep goin with ur route but ur gonna need more bulbs..I have that setup with about 4 more of the bulbs u have..

you can start giving them nutes now but less is more ALWAYS.
    What nutes are you using??

7. Wonder if that comes w the bulb?

8. Anyone know of anything organic/natural I can use nutrient wise for flowering?

9. Oops. Sorry tokamoto.. just woke up and realized this was your thread..apologies.

10. No problem mayhem, thanks for all the replies.  And thank you cheechin for the link.  I know I will need more bulbs just trying to determine should I go for an expensive strong light or stick with the CFL's until I know the sex given these are bag seeds.

Mayhem, your plants look good.  Have you grown before?  I've only had these lil ones in the tent for a day and I can already tell it's going to help tremendously.  

As far as nutes, I have not added any yet.  I went to a hydro store this week and was basically told I have a few weeks before I put them in larger pots, add some serious light, add nutes and then switch to 12/12.  Regardless I'm having a blast learning and doing this for my first time.

Any other advice you guys have or problems you ran into when you first started growing would be awesome, thanks again.  

11. Thanks man.. never done this before, but learning ALOT..lol started as a "let's see what happens" kinda thing, and now I'm hooked. Lol I've also heard that bag seed can turn out dank if you love em right. So we'll see.

12. Don't know where you live...but there are tons of Grow lights on the cheap on craigslist in my area. Big units, small units...400watt HPS/MH switchable for $150. Was thinking about getting up with that one as I don't know I'll be able to find a cheaper one when I move to a legal grow state.

13. We're in the same boat mayhem, I'm def hooked now.  Do you guys think I should add more CFL's for the next week or two before I switch to 1 gallon pots and add more lumens for the flowering stage?

Thanks fearjar, I'm in a legal grow state so I have been looking online but have not found anything I loved yet.  The hydro store I was at had a 200w HPS/MH switchable for $89.99.  That may be my best bet but I will keep checking online.

Just like mayhem, this started out of boredom when I found some bagseeds (which I rarely see) and germinated 3 just "checking it out."  Once they all started to grow I got excited and began reading and reading and reading.  Then I splurged on a grow tent.  I'm trying to avoid spending too much money bc funds are low and this was all for fun, but as I learn more I think I could end up being a decent green thumb over time.  I guess we'll see!

14. I started mine in Styrofoam cups w holes poked in bottom.. when they got big enough and roots started coming out holes, I transplanted into 2.5 gallon pots..(should've put into 5 gallon buckets, will do next time.)

15. Right on, so you actually saw roots coming out of the bottom of the cups?  How was the transfer?  That's my next big step I'm worried about.

Most of what I read has said to fill your pots with your grow medium and then stick the cup in the damp soil to make a depression where you will plant them.  How did it go?  Any challenges or advice for that next step?

16. I used the exact same medium, dug out a little room for them, kinda squeezed around the Styrofoam to loosen em up a bit, (works better within 5 or 6 hrs after watering) put my hand over them, coming thru my fingers like..and tapped the bottom.. voila. Moisten soil in new containers first, and just fit em in nice n flush.. takes around a week to adjust, then they take off.. I'm already on 12/12, (3rd day).. my next grow round will transplant into 5 gallon buckets (more root room=more yield) can't wait til they show sex and start budding, will post pics when they do.

17. Put seeds in dirt on Jan 9th.

18. Ok thanks and when did you make the transfer?

19. When they had a couple sets of true leaves and the roots were coming out.. they looked like they needed more room.

20. #20 pdx stoner, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
    You better keep this thread going ive seen alot of first grows where people didn't keep the log going and good luck on your first grow hopefully it yields some good buds!(subed for the grow)