My first Grow- Going cheap while learning

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by TBones, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Agreed. More lights at this point would do wonders. I would make sure to do that before you start flowering.

2. So might be a little off on days, Day 1 is when they got put in the water to start germination. Day 3 they hit the soil in a dixie cup and the computer grow box under a 23w CFL under 18/6. Day 6 the plant broke ground and on Day 10 it went into it's current box under a 23w CFL center down light and 2- 11w tube style CFL. Day 23 the 23w CFL died and replaced with a 13w CFL. Day 37 the bulbs were replaced with three 23w CFL.

Total growth time as of 11-21-2010:
    Seed put into water cup to germinate- 43 days
    Seed cracked shell and planted in soil- 40 days
    Seedling broke ground- 34 days

Pictures:
    1-What the setup looked like at the start of the current box, 23w CFL center, 2-11w sides
    2-current setup- 3 23w CFL, looking to add 2-3 lower lights near the base of the plant
    3-side shot as of today
    4-top shot w/ tape
    5-entire main stalk
    6-top shot, Two burn spots on L and R from not checking for 2 days and hitting side lights

Attached Files:

3. That's a little better. I don't start counting until the break ground so I was somewhat confused. It would be good to get some more light on the bottom, I hope you don't have a male!

4. So I have been planning on adding some lights and took tonight to do so. While adding lights i noticed there were some roots poking out of the pot so I put it into a bigger pot and broke off a fan leave and a pair poking out of the node. Well now I can put them in some water and try to clone it and if I do have a female I can have a great start on a second.

Attached Files:

5. So the plant seems to be doing ok with the extra lights and higher temp. I adjusted the end time so it will be go from 6am - 12 am to 6am-6pm now. Just hope I am not jumping the gun on putting it to flower.

6. An excellent retelling. There is no consistency in the way we count the days. I start counting from the end of gemination. When the cotyledons (that first set of rounded leaves) are fully deployed and the first set of fan leaves is exposed directly to the light, germination is complete. For me, that is day one. Sometimes, it take a couple of days for the proto-seedling to fully unknot itself and clear those fan leaves. In such an instance, a grower who starts the count when the plant breaks the surface would be on day three by the time I decide it's day one.

How high is the temp with the new lights? Anything up to 86 is inside the comfort zone of most cannabis plants. Such is the conventional wisdom, in any case. I have flowered at 86 to 90 during the summertime. The plants did well, but yield may have been impacted.

She is young, but people flower them younger. She is tall for 34 days. There is a lot of space between the nodes. This may be because she is a sativa dominant strain or it may be due to low light conditions during vegetative growth. It is common for plants to double or triple in height in the first three weeks of 12/12. Sativas don't stop at three weeks and they can grow six times taller in flower.

You might consider topping her, which will result in less vertical growth as the plant splits its efforts between the two new tops that result. Topping will also stimulate secondary growth. You end up with more tops and a bushier plant.

The seedling stage ends when the third leaf set is out. Conventional wisdom would have you veg the plant for three weeks from that point before switching to 12/12. But it is common practice to flip earlier than that. Growers often flower early in anticipation of a tall lanky plant that will grow past the lights if given the opportunity.

You are not jumping the gun. She looks healthy.

7. How high is the temp with the new lights? They got up to 90 when I first put them all in but now it settled down again and stays 82-86 max.

The seedling stage ends when the third leaf set is out.
    Looks like I did about 5 weeks from 3rd leaf set showing.

I thought about topping but I kind of want to just let it got and see what happens. I still have another 12"-18" left in the box and then I can take it out and just use the closet that the box is in. As of today 6 days of 12/12, the secondary growth on the nodes is getting larger and I am seeing some more growth spurting from the nodes (Hope it shows sex soon). 20" tall at the center cluster staying about the same size around as that is the size of the box.

Attached Files:

8. Sounds like a plan.

9. Things are looking good TBones. They will show sex in the next couple days. You got a jewelers loop? If not I'd get one. At least 30x for sexing. 60-100x for trich watching (which sucks in my opinion, not steady hands). Keep it up.

10. OK, so it's been a while since I updated this. I have not had a lot of time to play with the little girl because I have been working during the light cycle. Today I harvested the first two branch sections. I should be harvesting the second set in a couple weeks, it might end up being three if all goes well. Total Bud Harvest: 38.9g, Trim Harvest: 11.6g

Attached Files: