My first grow - CFL + 400w HPS

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by fairbanks, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Hello there. Let me start off by saying that this is an amazing community and I am excited to learn as much as I can from everyone that is apart of it. I have been scanning these forums for some time taking in as much as possible and it has assisted in my first grow. But because I was just scanning and not interacting I feel like I still have so many questions unanswered. I have my first plant in it's third week of flowering and two plants in veg that poked through the soil about 2 weeks ago. Any comments, questions or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Sorry about the pics, still trying to figure out my camera. Thanks.

Specs for flowering (one plant):
    Light: 400w HPS
    Day: 22nd of flowering
    Strain: Unknown (bagseed)
    Soil: Fox Farm Ocean Forest
    Ph: Unknown (no Ph meter, recommendations?)
    Nutrients: Never given any
    Temperature: 75-85 Farenheit
    Size of plant: 22"X26"X26"

Specs for vegging (2 plants):
    Light: 4 Bulbs coming in at 162w
    Soil: Fox Farm Light Warrior
    Day: 2 weeks from seed
    Ph: Unknown
    Nutrients: Never given any
    Temperature: 75-85 Farenheit
    Size: About 2 inches and one inches tall

Attached Files:

2. I guess my first question would be where should I buy a ph meter and what type should I look for?

3. Pictures looking good along with the top of you budsites :D

Sorry I can't answer the question about the pH meter but I hear a lot of people talk about hXXp://www.milwaukeetesters.com/ brand and as long as you store it right and keep care of it it should last as long as you calibrate it every month or so. From my understanding.

If you don't have the mula for a electronic one the next best thing imo witch I use is the GeneralHydroponics PHUP & Down Kite w/ Tester solution and vial. it was like 20$ at my hydro store. hXXp://www.genhydro.com/genhydro_US/buffers.html I got the solutions not the dry.

I'd also look into some flowering and bud nuets/food.

I use the Fox Farm Trio of Grow Big(veg) Tiger Bloom(flower) Big Bloom(End of flower)
    They we're about 12$ a piece. I started with half the recommend dose but then I jsut gauged it by seeing the reaction on the plants. I pushed it untillt he very tips turn a lil yellow. Then I know that's their max intake.

-Smurf

Stop by my journal if you get time.
    hope my two cents isn't ignorance

4. Thank you SmurfyBH, your grow looks very solid and inspiring. Do you think I should wait until I can read my ph before i start giving it nutes?

5. Yes. I find when I add nutes it brings my ph way low and my tap water ph is like 7.5-8 already....

6. Is that ph test kit measuring the ph of the soil itself or the water runoff?

7. I pH adjust after I add the nutes into the water. Shake bottle and then test soultion and adjust. I then water. I then collect runoff and test the runoff to make sure my runoff is somewhere between 6.4-6.8 ish. I then work from there and adjust my next watering based on my data.

8. Having not given the plant any nutes all the way into its 4th week of flowering is my ph going to be way off?

9. I took some more pics of the flowering plant and the room that it is in.

Attached Files:

10. Got some pics of the two plants vegging. One of them looks almost like a palm tree.

Attached Files:

11. Woah that's cool lookin.. it needs a corona next to it..:D

I'm subbed!

I got a Hanna Instruments pHep pen-style pH meter 4.0 and 7.0 calibration solutions and the storage solution... I've tested it against the drops and it's accurate.. The calibration is simple and it was totally worth the $60 for everything... but I'm all about the hydro...

12. Thanks for the support! I am planning on picking up a ph meter and the fox farm trio pack this weekend.

13. Should I be doing any trimming to the bottom of my plant in flowering? I have been trying to find an answer to this question online but everyone seems to have a different opinion.

14. Any advice or questions would be greatly appreciated.

15. From everything i've read you can pinch off the little popcorn bud sites in the hopes that the energy thy would have been using will go to the cola and other larger sites but I would just let nature take it's course and not mess with them too much... I'd probably do a little more looking around before I started pulling off my bud sites tho too...

16. I think that with my heat getting up to 85 degrees from time to time, trimming the lower parts might cause the plant too much stress. I guess I will just wait it out and see what happens. The plant has made a lot of progress in just the past few days. The bud sites range from 1/2" to almost 2" wide. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

17. Wow man, here I am thinkin you've got a little palm tree plant and it turns out you've got a bush! Lookin good man... those leaves look happy..

18. Almost done with my fifth week of flowering and things are starting to get smelly! Should i be tying these side shoots that are starting to sag from the weight of the buds or should I just let them be?

Attached Files:

19. I would say that if you haven't been training anything up to this point there's no reason to mess with what's been working so far...