My First Grow (Beginner Guide (As I Go) For Cheap Bastards):

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by ObsoleteSpartan, May 24, 2013.

1. #1 ObsoleteSpartan, May 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
    This is my first time growing a plant, I read that when you have no clue how to grow that the best method is to learn with a bubble bucket, so I bought one. It was on sale for $25 and I got Jungle Juice Nutrients, which was on sale for $15 on Amazon. (Google search: '5gal bubble bucket' and you should find one on sale. http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Nutrients-Jungle-Juice-Bloom/dp/B008CQ92M6/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1369372073&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=jungle+juice+nutrients These nutrients will last at least 3 plants, right meow I am on day 2 and I only had to use a few drops, if it stays at this rate, I will be able to grow at least 8 plants with these nutrients if I am measuring carefully)
    I also bought a 10.5" diameter clamp light fixture with reflector, and a couple 6500k CLF lights 1.6k lumens each. The recommended is at least 3k lumens per sq. ft. 6-8 inches from plant. The grow room is a part of my closet, about 2'x3'x5'. 2' wide, 3' long, and 5' to work with in height. I used a 75sq ft tin foil roll to cover my grow area, just don't let it wrinkle too much, it is cheap but works very effectively.
    My items list:
    -Bubble Bucket ($20-$60)
    -Nutrients ($15-$80)
    -CFLS ($6-$25)
    -Clamp light ($8-$16)
    -Tin Foil ($1-$4)
    -Distilled water 4gallons+ ($5)
    -Fan ($5-$20)
    -Duct Tape ($5)
    -My cheap bastard ways (Priceless)

Bubble buckets add more cost than just getting a 5gal bucket with soil, but I feel that a bubble bucket has a lot fewer problems after you have found out how to balance your pH level 5-6.5 (5.5-6 recommended
    My Set Up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Day One:
    Had some trouble with pH level so was up late trying to figure it out, let the air stone mix the water for about 15-20 minutes after adding base/acid, before checking pH level again because you need to wait and let it mix.
    [​IMG]
    She is only just beginning, but so far she is still healthy after 12 hrs. 
    Nutrients mixed in was 8ml of Micro, and 3.5ml of Grow. I went with 1/4 of recommended nutrients because with CFL grow your plant doesn't use as much energy so it doesn't need the nutrients as bad, if you put the full amount of nutrients recommended you could fry your plant from too much nutrients. I check on my baby every couple hours when I am home for now until I know the security of the bucket growing method. 

Day Two:
    I decided to separate the two main branches of the baby plant by using twine, and softly tying them to the side of the bucket, I want light to reach down on the bottom leaves in the middle of the two main branches. I added a small 8" clamp light to one side of my grow room so the plant can get more light. It is a 2700k which are usually only used for flowering but the extra color you give out the better and healthier your plant will grow so I am at 2/3 6500k, 1/3 2700k, tomorrow I will probably add another 6500k to the 8" clamp light and let this baby veg at 3/4 6500k. I am experimenting, so I will let you know whether the 2700k is worth putting up, so far it seems my plant is soo very happy to see that light up but I guess I will find out in the morning.
    The plant grew 1" over night, and she is growing very well, the tips of her lower branches are getting white so I checked the pH level and keeps getting higher, so I have to keep adding a little amount of acid to try and counter this, so far I have noticed some of the white already go away on some leaves but I will find out if I fixed the problem tomorrow.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day Three:
    So far the plant has been looking better, the white tips have gone on all but the bottom leaves, and she has grown close to a whole inch overnight! now standing at 7" she is getting closer to her goal! The pH is up again at 6.1-6.5, so I added the smallest amount of acid, I will have to keep checking it but it was slowly getting more green....I will take a picture tomorrow of when I check the pH vial...
    I switched my 2700k with a 5000k cfl bulb, hopefully it will help the plant grow more quickly with more direct light!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the giant pictures, I have added CALiMAGic and it pretty much helped my plant come back to life. I am waiting for some Silica Blast, SuperThrive, Epsom Salt, FloraNectar, FloraBloom, and some Rapid Root to arrive in the mail. I will start using Silica Blast, SuperThrive, and Epsom salt (When needed) to my next batch of nuts this thursday if they arrive in time, and if not she will start getting some FLora Nectar on week 4 which I will probably start moving her to flowering at that time.
    DAY 11
    Big branch is at 11" smaller is at 10".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you for showing interest, and I hope you choose to follow me on this adventure. Comment at will !
    Sincerely,
    Obsolete.
    [​IMG]

2. Definitively following, and I am hoping this will lead to my FIRST grow ever, being a hydro. :)

3. Heck yes, I am getting some crap about it from my roommate for going hydro instead of soil, but honestly the problems are so far fewer, pH level is all you need to worry about. 
    If you want links or pictures of anything that I am using I can gladly get you the info or pictures, feel free to ask anything if you have questions but around midnight I will update this forum about day 3 with my baby jane.  :smoke:

Sincerely,
    ObsoleteSpartan

4. I am just concerned about yield, and such compared to soil, as well as the cost.

5. Yeah, right meow I am at a total of $120 for my whole set up, including plant and all the extra expenses I am including, gallon water jugs, and other miscellaneous items.
     But the yield is why I went with hydro, I have 'heard' that it gives you bigger yields but I will test it out for us ;)

6. I will have to try it out then. I'll start with just one plant in total, and just go from there. What plant are you using? I was thinking of Big Bud, but I will honestly go to like OG Kush or something.

7. I have a sativa hybrid because I have more height than width to work with, for bushier smaller plants go indica, for taller plants go sativa (Only recommendation, if they have a clone of your favorite bud than get that!)
    I have a Island Skunk x Maui Waui Sativa Hybrid. I got it from my dispensary, but feel free to journal yours aswell and we can maybe help each other out with tips and tricks.  :hello: 

8. I will certainly try, but my only concern with doing something like that, is the height, because I want to have a shorter plant, with a bigger yield instead of a taller one, due to the height restrictions.

9. #9 ObsoleteSpartan, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
    Yeah try to go Indica sativa hybrid, or full indica, you will get a better yield than if you try to grow a sativa. Indica plants tend to be more small and bushy but sativa are tall and spread (Also ask about each strand when looking at dispensaries for a clone). The bucket stands at 14.5" and my baby jane is at 7"; so a total of 20" at day 3, but you will probably want yours at that and let it flower. You would only need to veg for about two weeks, maybe less. If you have at least 3 ft of height a bucket should work purrrfectly.... :bongin:

10. #10 ObsoleteSpartan, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
    Hitting the BONG than my head is resting on my pillow and I am going off to dreamland. (I edited my first post to include Day Three)

Goodnight fellow blades, may your dream guide lead you soundly.  :bongin: 

11. I have a couple of thoughts for ya friend! :D

First off the light. I have to make this short this am but here, I'll start. You'll want HID lights soon. Especially for flowering, a HPS puts out 95k lumens instead of 1.6k lumens. Even though you have three 1.6k doesn't mean you have 5 lumens per square inch. It means that you concentrate 1.6k on that particular area just spread out that 1.6k a little wider. Does that make sense? When you have, say one bulb, at 95k it can shower light strong across the whole canopy with all those lumens.

I grow DWC and love it. I produce over a pound a plant. I never had this much luck with soil, I maxed out around 10 oz a tree...

It's all about growers talent. I monster crop my girls meaning I tip, top, super crop, and trim them and train them into a SCROG. It is really simple and produces amazing results.

You need to get a cal-mag to add to your water daily. I have a rez that is aerated with 250ppm of cal-mag at all times. Get a PPM pen off amazon for $15 and make a solution of 250ppm fresh water and one tsp of epsom salt. Give it to your plants religiously. I can tell your girls need cal-mag and mag/sulfate badly!!!

Here is a shot of my grow right now, she is at day 28 of 70!!!  SCROG baby!!!! :D

Attached Files:

12. You mean seperate the lights, and let the light shine down from different spots like light bulbs from the ceiling (Cause if you do, than I think I understand what you mean by what you said)?
    Yeah those are sooo nice but so pricey! Right meow I am using a friends 150W sodium light to help grow my baby, it is way above the cfls, but I can't get a good picture because the sodium messes with my phone camera, lol. And I am awaiting for my debit card (recently swtiched banks) and it should be here by next Friday, so I an start the cal-mag water diet with in the next 2 weeks, is that too late or can I buy ingredients at the store?

13. Beautiful plant btw! I only hope to be where you are within the next 50 years of my life, you seem to have this talent down, and I would love to be your apprentice, with a small wallet  :hippie:

14. No your lights need to stay as close as you can with out heat stressing them so they can get all the lumens they can. Light is energy. I suggest a $15 bottle of botanicare cal-mag when you can. It has 1-0-0 Calcium, magnesium and iron. I really don't know the organic way...egg shells (calcium) but it the mag you really want. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate and the mag in cal-mag is magnesium nitrate.

A great lesson, step by step can be found on you tube, search "how to grow DWC Part 1". There are 13 parts and you'll be a pro you watch all that stuff! :D

15. #15 ndavisenterprise, May 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
    Training your plants and redirecting the hormones create hundreds of bud site. Artifcial light can only penatrate around a foot plus a little. So, I open mine up by LST early after tipping, FIM'ing, topping then as I am ready to flower I will SCROG it and weave it through during transition. Then as you see it is 12" above the SCROG net and forming massive bud structure! I have a 55'X22" canopy of buds. Blanket of Buds (BOB)

16. Does this Cal-mag look good?

Sent from my Huawei-U8652 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

17. That's perf man! 

Use 250ppm as a base for your water. That is where you ppm pen comes in handy if you have one!

18. they didn't have one at the hydro store, but can I safely add some without checking ppm? I have a gallon jug at half gallon at 5.7 pH which I keep pouring on top of the plant since roots are still not through the bottom of the net pot. Can I out half a table spoon into the half gallon water I keep feeding my plant. It says 1tblspn=\t1 gallon. So half of it would be fine if I am slowly feeding the plant the Cal mag, or should I mix into current 5gal bucket, or my next nutrients batch?

Sent from my Huawei-U8652 using Grasscity Forum mobile app