My first grow, any advice will help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mikeyvuitton, Mar 31, 2009.

1. So im completely new to the whole growing deal.
    Im in Colorado and a licensed caregiver to a few of my friends,Including myself, so they told me I could grow for them so I could learn.

Right now my current grow box is 2 feet high.
    I plan on using it until my plants grow to be 20 inches high.
    then moving them to a bigger grow room in my home "6 ft high by 7x4"
    where I will switch to three gallon pots, as well as a new array of lighting
    which i am unsure of what i will use, (Opinions?)

I currently have one light on the plants, now ive come to realize i need alot more. (how much more?)

Currently the plants are on day 4 of being planted.
    germinated and broke open in 60 hours, then planted in sunshine mix 4.
    here are some pics.

Day 0- Box
    Can support 12 cups.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

day 2- First sprouts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

day 4-stems
    [​IMG]

2. What are your options for lights? Going off of how big your box is, I would recommend cfl's. The will stay cooler and you can put them closer to your plants to prevent stretching that I saw in one of your pictures. If you do go that route, walmart, lowes, or home depot carry these bulbs. For vegging you want to go with the 26watt 6500k spectrum...it is best for vegging with cfl's... How do you ventilate the box? Keeping the door open?

3. Once you get that bigger area I would suggest using a MH/HPS combo... Definitely the best way to go with a big grow space..

4. A whole bunch. Might as well toss that little box right now. You outgrew it right about the time they broke ground.

You're goin about this all wrong. First grows aren't about having everything meticulously prepared and measured and whatever. They're about duct tape and bent up wire coat hangers and reading how-to books on basic electrical wiring. Best way I know to start out is to just start growing, then build around whatever grows. Save what you build, and you can use it all next time.

But as far as how much light? This early it's not so much a question of how many as it is of how close. A four pack of daylight cfls would be plenty to cover those cups, if properly arranged. You want the lights close though. Close enough that you really can't get a good look at the babies without takin em from under the lights. Later on you want enough light in your veg space so that if you go to check on your handiwork at 2:00 in the morning, and then walk back into the normally illuminated part of the house, you should be blind.

:bongin:

5. God, I've done this so much I think I've totally screwed up my vision...lol:eek: