MY first flush and i have a question

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by mechanix901, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Do you realize that plants do not store nutrients? They use nutrients, there is no build up of nutrients in plants. Plants store energy, in the form of starch. Who cares why your nutrient company recommends a flush. There is no reason to flush other than to resolve an issue with your grow. Flushing is pointless to try to improve the taste of your bud. The science is there, and proves it. Whether you choose to believe fact, or go with myth, well that is entirely up to you.

2. I thought N, P, K, Mg and Zn were mobile and shifted from place to place in the plant as needed..

3. I was reading just for info on Advanced Nutrients Site about flushing. I know they are wicked marketing folks. Read what i am copying from their site. learn to comb through the bias info. They are talking about flushing and certain chemicals cause certain things. And they do state flushing with just water kinda starves the plant of nutrients, but there is a buildup within the plant. check it out. I am in no way a spokes person for AN. I cant even afford to use their products. Just thought there was some useful info.

"YOUR PLANTS ARE ABSORBING THINGS YOU DON'T WANT TO CONSUME

As you're aware, your plants grow by absorbing compounds from nutrients, water, and the atmosphere. These compounds become part of your plant tissues.

As your plants age, they accumulate excess nutrient salts and other substances that decrease the quality and value of your endproduct.

At times, this accumulation is visible as overfertilization or other crop failures. More often, it is an unseen burden that infiltrates your crops from the inside out.

This insidious burden causes crops that have offensive taste and odor; crops that burn with black ash or are hard to keep lit; and crops that irritate and damage your respiratory system, causing coughing and other health issues.

Can you recall a time when you almost coughed your lungs out? It was polluted crops that did it.

NOT ALL FLUSHES ARE CREATED EQUAL

Many growers try "flushing" their crops or they use all-organic nutrients to deal with accumulated salts that affect finished crop quality. Unfortunately, most forms of flushing, or the use of all-organic fertilizers, does not purge crops of harsh residues.

For one thing, the most common way that growers flush their crops is by giving their crops water that has no nutrients in it. But this doesn't fully cleanse your crops. It only starves your plants so they lose vigorous floral growth and resin percentages just before harvest.

Other growers use flushing formulas that generally consist of a few chemicals that sometimes have the ability to pull a limited amount of residues out of your plants.

These primitive flush formulas remove plant nutrition, resulting in smaller harvests and decreased harvest potency. Not only that, but they don't provide the full-spectrum, value-enhancing cleanse you're looking for.

Truth be told, the stuff that stores in your plants comes from fertilizers, water, and the atmosphere, and organic fertilizer has no crop-cleansing properties in and of itself.

Fortunately, there's a better way to ensure that your harvests are crystal-pure."

4. soooo - flushing formulas "suck" the bad things from the plants?
    And I would have been happy getting my rocks washed...

Yet another reason for DWC :)

5. i run rdwc and have noticed minimal build up in my buckets. no telling what is inside my plant though. I have had bud before that had great smell and awesome bag appeal, but was too harsh to smoke. I figured that they didnt flush it right long before I got into doing things myself. Could have been because they didnt cure it right. Couldnt there be byproducts or left over nutrients that the plant didnt adsorb?

I just dont understand why several companies would make a flushing agent if it wasnt necessary. I think someone needs to start a new thread with a poll on who flushes and who dosent. I'm really surprised that some of the seasoned vets here in GC have yet to chime in.

6. correct....why starve your plants for two weeks

7. Well thats just it, if the plant didn't absorb them, they are not in there, correct? I mean, we are not spraying the outside of our plants with anything, correct? Plants take in the nutrients they need through their roots and use what they take in. From what I understand from reading, they store energy in the form of starch, but do not store nutrients for later use. I am definitely not an expert on the subject. But if thats how plants operate, then to me, there is nothing to flush out as the plant only takes it what it uses, and I would rather the plant operating at full potential through its entire life, as it would outside, then to starve my plants searching for a better taste.

If you dry and cure the weed properly, that is where the taste and smoothness come in to play. I believe the harsh tasting weed is due to improper drying and curing. While my 1st grow was curing, I began smoking it after 2 weeks of curing. I coughed much more during those early weeks than i do now that it has cured for 8 or 9 weeks. It definitely gets smoother and better tasting the longer its cured.

8. the plants i run in soil will be getting only water and blackstrap the last week of flowering. My hydro wil get nutes all the way to the end.

we will see what happens. But i do think that a flush wouldnt matter in a DWC but is important when using chemical ferts in soil. I hate the snap crackle pop shit that my idiot dealer grows. he doesnt flush his soil grows. I will be flushing my soil.

9. i will give you guys my opinion here in a couple months. i have 4 babies from the same mom. im going to flush 2 of them and not flush the other 2. i think that if you get weed that is harsh or something it prolly wasnt cured right.