My First CFL Stealth Grow. Need Help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Ditchr, Mar 15, 2010.

1. This is my first grow ever. I don't know that much about growing, but I think I have a start. I am going to do a stealth grow in my shed inside of a dresser.
    Here is my setup so far:
    [​IMG] Dresser from the outside.
    [​IMG] Lights.

[​IMG] Top view from the upper drawer containing 2 computer fans.
    [​IMG] My light timer.
    [​IMG] Computer fan vent out.
    [​IMG] The entire space. The big bag is the soil.

Dimensions: 2.5'L x 2.5'W x 3'H

Here are the parts I have so far:

I think I will grow two plants…

Ventilation –
    4- Computer fans (2 in top drawer blowing down; 1 blowing in directly from outside, this one is right behind the drawer. The drawer has holes in the back so that the back fan can feed the ones blowing down; 1 fan on the bottom right of the dresser. This fan is blowing out).
    1- Febreeze odor eliminator (this contains a carbon filter that will get rid of all smells. It will plug into one of the two wall outlets that are inside of the dresser. The way I have screwed in one of the outlets will make the filter positioned so that it will take in odors from the front and blow them to the right, where the bottom fan will blow out the old air.

Lighting –
    2- GE 120 Watt Plant lights (for these, I put them into two cone fixtures, which I mounted on a PVC pipe to fit the length of the walls) Are these strong enough lights? Are there any smaller yet more powerful lights?

Soil –
    Foxfarm soil

Meters –
    Light timer (can run for 16 hours at various times of the day).
    (I need a PH reader)
    Humidity and Temperature reader (on top shelf, easily read, with the radar (the reader) that is in the main dresser area that will only check the main area's temp and hummid).

What I need:

Hydro –
    I need some sort of hydroponics system that is really small and easy to use. I don't really know what to use for this, but it needs to fit in the top shelf or bottom area. I was thinking about using the wick system but I think that it will take up too much space on the bottom. I really need the room between the plant and the light so that I will be able to adjust the lights as my plants grow.

Inner Liner –
    I need suggestions for the inner liner. I think I should use something metallic or white. Maybe something like PVC liner :/

PH reader –
    I need a good PH reader. Digital would be nice. Please suggest one for soil and water.

Plant Food –
    I have no idea what to feed the plants! Please give me ideas and brand names!

Security –
    How can I lock up my dresser? The drawers are attached to each other and come out as one piece. I need to lock them up. Also, I need to insulate them so that you cannot see any light or hear anything. It is pretty quiet but I need to improve my grow-op.

Questions:

What kind of strain should I grow given the amount of vertical space I have to work with?
    What is the best kind of light I need? How much wattage?
    What other parts do I need?
    What kind of material do I need to line the inside of the dresser? I heard that there is some type of PVC liner.
    I am planning on doing a wick system for watering but I don't know how much space I need to have.
    Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. duuuuuuuuuuuude u need some replies up in this bitch

3. i hella do. PLEASE!! I NEED TIPS!

4. This is actually my first post, but I've spent quite some time lurking about reading up on grows and experimenting for my self.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can help out with a few.

In regards to other parts, you're going to need weatherstripping or something similar to seal the drawers. If you wanted to get fancy you could hollow out the inside of the dresser, and nail the fronts of the drawers to the front of the cabinet itself. Then just cut a hinged door on any side you want and you have an added measure of stealth. As for the lining of your cab, I'd say use either FLAT white paint (not enameled or semi-gloss, they have less reflective quality than just plain flat white), or invest in some Mylar. Mylar works very well for reflecting most of the light/heat energy back to the plant (and more light = more yield!)

If this is your first grow, I would probably say that you should start with a soil grow, as hydroponic grows are often a tough first choice. '

I don't know if you've considered CFL lighting, but its something to think about. You can learn some more about it at http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/122824-kamels-cfl-guide.html .

Your vertical growroom won't be near as much of a problem as you think! Whatever strain you choose, you'll be able to grow in that cab. Since you don't have as much room to go up, you should think about LSTing (Light stress training) your plants. A full explanation can be found at http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/122936-how-lst-low-stress-training.html. I have to go back to the university now, but I'll come back later and edit with some more info. :]

:peace: :smoking:

ATX

5. Thanks for all the help, I will definately consider all of this;)

6. Most of your questions you can find answers to in the forums man but...

Look up Low Rider as it auto-flower's and doesn't grow very large.

Line the inside of it with Mylar - a.k.a. Emergency Blankets can get them at E.M.S. or Wal-Mart

Figure out whether you want to use CFLs or HID setup for light, for your situation CFL's may make more sense, and you may eventually want to work with HPS for flower at least.

All I got for now got to jet man good luck.

7. :] No problem. I'll just add a couple of other tidbits while I'm here.

I'm not sure on brand names for nutes/ferts, but I know that you'll want pH Up/down for plants (NOT the stuff they use on pools/aquariums, as it can cause chemical buildups that may cause root burn).

I'd try to find a timer that can run 18 hours straight as the usual vegetative light cycle is 18light/6dark. Although, you CAN run a 12/12 flowering light cycle from seed (but this should not be considered lightly, as it has the effect of a FASTER yield, albeit less in quantity, if i recall correctly.)

Yes, emergency blankets can be used as a reflector in a pinch, but they have less reflective quality than a flat white paint would. If you're going to use mylar, my suggestion would be to buy quality. The emergency blanket method, if used, has the potential to make hot spots in your cab, and when it wrinkles it drastically reduces the reflective properties of the area that gains the crease. Just something to think about.

8. Hey thanks a bunch bro, the time can go 18 hours also. It is abstandard outdoor one that can be switched every 15 mins:)

9. Nice! That's just one less thing you have to worry about then! :smoking:

Also, have you thought about making some kind of 2nd cab for flowering in? That way you can keep your mother plant/clones(assuming you get a female*) in a constant 18/6 vegetative cycle, and take clones off of her for a more continual and guaranteed female harvest. Just some more things to think about.

Have you given any more thought to strain? Hopefully once I move out of these dorms I'll be able to post a grow journal of my own. :eek:

10. haha you should grow man! I think i might get some low riders or purple kush.. I just bought a ton of aluminum tape to line the walls with :) I need some help on deciding the CFL lighting. who specturum should I grow with and what wattage should i get of floro?

11. Believe me, I want to! On the aluminum tape, if you're going to be using it, you might as well use aluminum foil and use the tape to connect the pieces (it'll save tape that you might need for fixing light leaks and whatnot later). If you do decide to do this, use the less shiny side of the aluminum, it reflects better (another reason that the foil is actually superior to the tape).

As far as spectrum, 6500k for vegging, 2700k for flowering.

The wattage is really up to you. More light = more growth. If you were to use say, 12 26w 6500k lights for one plant in veg, it would be fine. if you use 4 of the same, it'll just mean slower growth (not necessarily less, depending on how you position your lights.) This goes for flowering too. This part is really all about how much $$$ you're willing to throw down. :/

Hope I helped! Sub'd, hope your grow goes well. Keep us posted with pictures and updates!

~ATX :smoking:

12. Thanks bro! I totAlly will keep updates;) my friend is going to get really nice seeds from a seed bank soon so I'm sooooo excited!

13. #13 Ditchr, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
    UPDATE

I finished my grow cabinet and I am going to get seeds soon.
    I switched to 5 CFL's (26W 6500k). The ventilations good, keeping it at around 80 degrees. DWC watering too. The timer is 20/4. With the doors closed, it is sound/light/smell proof.

Any suggestions on how to make it better?

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. small space dude, not enough

15. i know, whats why its gonna b CFL and im going to use LST. and move up to bigger pots
    ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE AWESOME!!

16. your CFL's should be mounted sideways. Most of the light from them comes from the sides not the top.

17. Definitely sidemount the CFLs like grrow said, but I think dude1 might be partially right. Thats a REALLY small space, even for an LST CFL grow. is this just a veg room or are you going to flower in here as well? If you plan on flowering you might need to rethink, as even with LST it will bush out and probably take up more room than you have, forcing lights to touch leaves (BAD NEWS).

Just some things to think about, but either way its a good looking box.
    Keep us posted!

~ATX :bongin:

18. Don't listen to haters...you can do this! I would recommend just one plant, however, as with two plants, you're going to have a hard time. Additionally, you could use a screen, start the strain flowering 2 weeks into veg and weave it through a screen. This is definitely a micro-gro. You did a great job designing this, so I know it's a bitch to do more work, but I'm going to have to agree with the comments that you need more room. Have you considered stacking another cabinet on top of it and hollowing that one out so that you have plenty of vert room but it just looks like two cabinets stacked for storage? Or what about using a pot with a really shallow reservoir? Right now, the pot is taking up half the vertical space. One thing to consider with a shallow reservoir, though, is that tap roots that can't go at least 4 inches have a good chance of stressing the plant into hermy or male.

19. Yea, you can definetly grow in that atleast 1 plant lst that puppy. gl!