Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

My First Bong, Is it worth it ?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Logieberra, Dec 3, 2012.

1. I have been using just my glass pipe and joints for smoking and used a bong literally once in my life and I have been contemplating getting a bong to add to my pipe and grinder but is it worth it ?

what are the benefits to using a bong over pipe/joints ?

and a unrelated question but is grinding in a grinder the only way to get a collection of keif, if I just use my hands to break up the weed into the bowl is the keif not in there aswell ?

2. If you do decide to get a bong I strongly urge you to make a solid investment. Dont buy a cheap china bong thats going to have bad seals. Its really a disgrace to the art of a bong IMO. This being said you can find a decent bong for around $100. It sounds like you might not be ready for one though...a good bong should be the final piece to complete the transition from average toker to connoisseur, again, IMO.

The benefits are great!

over a pipe:
    1) you get a nice filtered hit for cooler smoke that tastes much better
    2) you can add ice (if it has ice pinches) for an even cooler hit
    3) you can better measure the size of your hits (personal favorite reason for a bong)
    4) you get to show the bad boy off!

over a joint:
    all the above plus
    1) no wasted smoke
    2) smoke at your own rate
    3) dont have to roll (though some enjoy the art)

grinding in a grinder (one with a kief collector) is the most common way to collect kief. There are also contraptions designed specifically for knocking kief off buds but thats really only if your a true connoisseur are really into concentrates. When you break bud up without a grinder or in a grinder without a kief compartment the kief will either fall off the bud or remain on it so yes youll get most BUT when you break bud up with your hands you lose ALOT. THC will quickly absorb right into the natural oils on your hands so always limit how much you touch your buds. If you have a grinder always use it to avoid fondling up your bud.

3. I don't think you have to be a connoisseur to use a bong... anyone can use a bong if they want to, seeing as it is a great way to smoke.

4. This is good advice, I'd like to add that Bongs have the added advantage of getting you high quickly if you're in a hurry. They're also ultimately quite a bit better for you.

I agree that you may not be ready for a bong, consider a bubbler, though. As they aren't nearly as expensive, bulky, or overpowering. Just a thought.

5. Bigger hit and cooler smoke.

6. I agree. But to purchase one for yourself? And not waste your money on some crap piece? Idk if Id only been smoking long enough to smoke a bong once Id never feel comfortable getting a good bong that Id be happy with for years to come. Its just too expensive for a newer smoker

7. I understand what you mean, but if a new smoker is educated properly about using and find a good bong, then heck, why not? It will save them weed & money in the long run.

8. thanks guys alot for the advice , I think i'm goanna splurge and get the bong since I'm a daily toker

got a local headshop about 10 mins away so I'm goanna go look there first but i'm goanna wait till after christmas (low on money)... had no clue good bongs were so expensive, I actually got my trusty glass pipe for 10 bucks at a convenience store lol

I'd say i'm ready to upgrade !

9. Congradulations then! You should look up some questions to ask before you head in or post the "waterpipe" your looking at on GC. Lot of people can offer good advice if you feel the LHS is sounding a little biased

10. I'd suggest that you go smoke a bong a few more times before you drop a ton of money on one. Not everyone will agree but IMO bongs are not for everyone, I've met plenty of people that find the high from them overwhelming and can't cope with it, including daily tokers. I actually have a friend who dropped $250 on a bong only to end up giving it to his brother and go back to rolling joints every day.

That said, if you do love bongs like the majority of us, definitely take the time to do your research and get a quality piece that will last you.

11. You don't need to spend $100+ for a nice bong. You've just got to have a keen eye and a headshop with fair prices.

I'd recommend a mini bong for your first though. It'll just give you a feel of it and get you ready for a big bong. They're also a lot cheaper and harder to break, for most at least (we all know a klutz or two). Oh, and they're a lot more transportable. It's always handy to have a mini-bong in your stash somewhere.

You can always upgrade after that, to a much bigger and nicer bong. Stay blazed!!!

12. WARNING! BEFORE BONG PURCHASE READ BELOW!

First, I totally agree with the others suggesting that if you buy a bong, get a good one. I would like to add a couple of suggestions.

The size of the bong is important. Big bongs look great but can be hard to smoke. Get something that is easy to use, or you will find you won't use it.

Make sure the bong you purchase has standard size female fittings so you can add attachments like ash catchers, perks, etc.

IMHO, a bong should have at least one internal perk and a decent chamber to hold ice. Perks will help cool the smoke but the more a bong has the hard it will be to hit.

Make sure the bong has a sturdy base and can not be knocked over easily. Some people make wooden stands for their bongs.

Here is a good site for some nice bongs to get an idea of prices:

Glass Water Pipes : Blown Glass Pipes : GogoPipes.com

We have purchased a bong from this site and it was nice, although the glass was not really thin, it was not as thick as something like a Zong. You will pay more for bongs with very thick glass.

13. Bongs are pretty cool for home or for a buddy's house or something, but not something that I would just carry around. Everyone's different though. They're worth it, they are smoother.

As for the grinder, There are ways to collect kief but a grinder is your best bet. I posted a thread about it but I WOULD NOT suggest it, I just don't have a grinder so it works for me.

14. Idk y everybody is saying that the grinder keif catcher is the best it isn't.... By far the best item to use to get keif is a pollen box

15. A Bong simply allows you to take much more smoke into your lungs at one time because of the various cooling effects (perks, ice, etc.) if uses.

More smoke in your lungs = more THC delivered at one time = a stronger and quicker high.

The downsides of a Bong is that they are large and harder to handle compared to bubblers or other similar smoking devices. Also they are much more expensive and easy to break.

In addition, I find that most the time I smoke I don't want to get blasted high. I usually end up using a nice bubbler. If I want to get a little higher, I will use a double or triple bubbler.

I am older so I have to watch my lungs a bit and a bong can really irritate your lungs after a while. I have found the best way to get higher is to use concentrates.

For you, I think a bong is a good idea, especially if you like to smoke with friends, this IMHO is the best use for a bong.

16. thanks for the advice guys I will research some bongs and post what I have my eye on and is available at my headshop, I saw some bongs actually at my convience store that were 80 bucks, said blade bongs on it or something... not sure if those are any good

17. I know you didnt just say get a good bong and then hype a Zong :eek:

Also I dont think youre suppose to reference other sites that sell glass here

You have to do A LOT of research. PRICE DOES NOT INDICATE QUALITY. 80 bucks is a decent amount of dough....and ive never f'ing heard of blade bongs they sound like absolute trash. Never buy something from a convenience store...like what? How would that ever be a good idea? It should be 14.5 or 18.8 joint. It should be glass on glass. It should be borosilicate glass. When you cover the bowl and draw on the neck you should get suction, there should be no free flowing air what so ever. Id recommend an american glass blower or a quality european company like roor or ehle.

I mean of course you can get whatever your heart desires but if youre going to get a bong please take it seriously. For my sake if nothing else....I love the art form too much to see someone get a china bong

18. You get bong high

19. yeah convienence store bongs for that price is a bad idea , my local headshop is close anyways. I actually have 2 glass 10 dollar pipes from the same convienence store and they looks pretty cool and work fine but for a bong I understand theres alot more things involved

20. Even a bubbler makes a difference.