my first attempt at scrog

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by joxter, May 24, 2008.

1. ...well mini scrog, more like an experiment. i was donated a speed queen from a buddy of mine. and decided to try something new. so i decided to build a "scrog box" i just screwed some thin pieces of wood together and lined it with a few layers of thick black plastic. put some posts in the corners and tied a decently tight screen around the top. makes it easy to move the plant around, because the container is attached to it's very own screen. be easy to flush and everything.

as soon as she fills the screen i will put her into flowering. and i took a couple clones, so after harvesting this one, i can grow one of the clones with LST, and the other with just topping/fimming, and see which gives me the best results. now don't get on my ass about all the variables in a yield comparison with different growing styles. it's not an official comparison, just something i would like to try out. the LST'd and topped plants will be grown to a decent size, i will flower them when they look like they would be the size of the scrogged plant, if it wasn't all tied up in the screen.

all my plants are grown in coco, using the lucas formula. with added cal-mag every once and a while, in small doses. my veg room is under 2 250w metal halides, and right now my flower room is 1 1000w HPS, but when i finish my new room it will be 1 1000w HPS and 1 1000W MH for flowering.

oh and i know i have some nutrient deficiencies, i mixed a bad batch of nutrients on accident. but now hopefully have fixed the situation.

any questions, comments (good/bad), and concerns are appreciated, so don't hesitate to speak up.

anyways here's a few pictures.

canopy
    [​IMG]

side
    [​IMG]

side w/ scrog box full picture ( somewhat ghetto looking, but works great)
    [​IMG]

underside
    [​IMG]

and a couple random pictures i thought i'd share.

quick veg room shot, with only one 250w MH turned on (other bulb burnt out)
    [​IMG]

some blueberry a friend of mine grew
    [​IMG]

and some sensi star
    [​IMG]

thanks for visiting, talk to you guys/gals later!

:wave:

2. i say you could train that plant flatter and get a much larger canopey size. in scrog, you dont win any prizes for loads of veg under the screen. those bud sites wont do much if anything worth mentioning at all.

but then the way it's built... doesnt look like you've left much scope for adjustments, and looks like you have only limited space too i presume. ... or was that just the size of the table (?) and you could yet still train that plant flatter and wider opening up what to me looks like at least 4 times as many bud sites!!!

yeah, what you've got looks pretty swish, but nothing compaired to the untaped potential sitting infront of you.

3. Agreed. There is a lot of wasted space, but how far established was the plant when you got it? It may be the best it can be considering. I'll be interested to see how this goes, and if you decide to do a ScrOG from a fresh clone. I have yet to find a ScrOG journal with good pics.

E4A2S

4. i'm gonna be honest with you, i really have no clue what you just said. i might have understood a little about what your saying but not much.

anything that doesn't make it to the screen by the time it's filled, i'm going to use for clones, if that makes sense? i think i have a different perspective on the whole scrog thing, and at this point i don't know how to explain my out look on scrog.

but if there's a possibility that you could put what your saying in a different way, i would like to try and understand what your trying to say?

5. this is what it was when i got it. like i said in my above post, i think i have a different out look on scrog then you guys do. so if you could explain the "wasted space" please do.

Attached Files:

6. ok think of it like this. .

in scrog your plant is like a very long line, snaking through the screen with as much of that line on top of the screen.

they mean that half of your line is below the screen, thus limiting the potential buds that can grow off your line.

7. are you guys talking about that kinda main stem thats at an angle up to the screen?

8. All Digit was saying is that there seems to be 1 and a half feet of mainstem b4 it hits the screen and the budding sites in that 1.5' could have been in the screen, as opposed to under it and unusable. But you have already said that you want those for clones. So nothing wasted. In the future, if you pursue ScrOG, it is being suggested that you place the screen closer to the soil surface to take advantage of as many budding sites as possible. In this case, it doesn't seem it was an option.

E4A2S

9. oh ok, thanks for clearing that up.
    yeah having the screen closer wasn't really an option, i tried it, and as i was tenderly trying to bend a branch down to the screen it snapped. so it's at the safest height right now. i know it's not the best, but i figured what ever doesn't make it to the screen i can just use for clones.

thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

10. so i forgot about this thread, just like everyone else.

anyways just a quick update, she's doing good, just need to fill up a couple more spaces and i will put her into flowering. so thats when the real fun starts! stay tuned.

[​IMG]

11. Looks a lot better now, good job man. Can you post a side shot?

TiCkEr

12. hey hope this works for you im kinda in the same state here got a really large plant that is to tall to flower in my grow space will have to tie it down some. lolol(ussually flower 4 plants at a time put a kush-black domina clone in a 3 gal pot vegged likelly 3-4 months now.(presently 4-5 feet tall and likely 3 feet around)got 2 weeks till my presant flowering plants are done.this scrog of yours will be intresting to watch good luck!!!

13. thanks man, yeah she is lookin' a lot better than before. i will get a side shot tomorrow, i'm just too tired right now bud, haha.

14. thanks for the support bro. sounds like you got a great little set up going for you, you should get a few pictures together and start up a journal, unless you already have? in that case i need to go check it out!