my fan is too loud!!! hELP!!!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by monkywar, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Well im hiding my grow from my parents all i have left to do is silence my fan a little bit does anyone have recomendations on how i should make this stupid thing quieter..
    i can figure something out for the light peaking out but the fan is too loud at night if my parents come in..
    Heres my setup right now without the white paint..
    [​IMG]

Heres my unit that its in.. have to get a lock for the door..
    [​IMG]

Heres my setup again..
    [​IMG]

Here's the obnoxious fan...
    [​IMG]

Healthy baby?
    [​IMG]

other one..
    [​IMG]

2. dont know if theres much you can do about that one. The space is extremely limited, and if a computer fan is not quiet enough, then i dont know what is.

Maybe hang the fan from the ceiling in your space to get it more inside the cabinet so its muffled more? Then you can make a simple exhaust with a piece of posterboard rolled up the size of your fan to direct the air out the hole. Hope you understood that. After i re-read it, it sounds confusing:smoking:

3. It looks like the exhaust fan you have is one of those shitty ones form target. 1. if your gorwing in your parents house there is gonna be little to no way they wont know once u hit flowering. its going to smell like a fucking green house in your room. 2. if you want to shut up your fan you need to buy one online that costs a lot, not a ten dollar one from target. 3. you are suing clear cups for your plants, and roots get damaged by lights. aka DONT USE CLEAR CUPS!!!!!! just buy some red solo ones for seedlings. then there are 2 dollar 9 inchers from home depot u can get for when they need transplanting. DONT USE CLEAR CUPS!!! the light dmgs the roots

4. lol, your parents are gonna find it and kick you out. good for ya. Don't throw that responsibility on your parents, they could loose their house.

It's gonna start smelling shortly and nothing you do is going to help if you cant take the small amount of noise from a fan.

5. Yup, you're fucked from smell alone unless you seal that space air tight and exhaust through a carbon filter.

6. lol well thats what i planned on doing haha.. i can seal the door its just the fan guess i gotta get a better one haha

7. You shouldn't grow in your parents' house. Besides being disrespectful of them (who are providing the roof over your head), you put them at huge risk without them even knowing about it.

But another reason to not grow in your parents' house is very simply that you won't get away with it, for the very noise and smell and height restrictions you are struggling with.

8. If your gonna run a carbon filter your going to need A MUCH stronger fan. on the price range of like 50 bucks. then your also gonna need an intake hole at the bottom so the fan can get air to push out.

9. agreed, and that fan wont be any quieter than the one you have.

Do you seriously think you can keep this from your parents? If your answer is yes, then you are delusional.

10. Well i have to hide it from my mom not my dad... so grrower or w/e u need to shut ur mouth and quit bein a dick. There is no need to reiterate on everything everyone says.

11. Rather, I think you need to understand what it is you're doing. You WILL get caught by your parents. That is a fact. And that's if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, the authorities will get wind of it, in which case your parents could get arrested and could lose their house. You need to grow up, move into your own place, support yourself, and then, and only then, grow all the weed you want. Keep in mind, your mom is not as naive as you think.

12. Speaking the truth is not being a dick, just because it is a truth you don't want to hear. The best advice for you, from people genuinely concerned for you and your situation, is to not do this.

13. <- listen to the man. Been through same thing, only more stealthier and parents always left me alone. Found out a year later one of them knew and never said a thing. Only cause I was a saint compared to my bro's

14. Your parents are more aware of what you are doing than they let on, as the previous poster stated. It's their home, their morgatge, their kids, even if you have the worst parents in the world (lets hope not) they are aware of your goings on. Give them more credit, they are adults that were at very minimum compitent enough to raise a human being. I think they will notice some clues.

15. QFT ^^^

More than likely, your parents used to blaze too... or at least tried it once or twice in their lives, and they know what that shit smells like. You need to vent it OUT of your room and outside, after it's been properly filtered, if you want it to be a real stealth grow.

I am back living with my parents after being away for 12 years... There's no way in hell I'd risk them losing their house to grow my own, and I even have a special circumstance in my house that WOULD allow me to grow undetected. See, we're building a new bathroom upstairs - that be my house - and behind the bathroom is an access door into the attic space. That space is vented outside through roof vents, and it's large enough to crawl through, and could work for a small 2-3 plant operation. With the access door closed, and the bathroom door closed, there would be zero possibility that I would ever be caught, but still the risk is NOT at all worth the reward.

On the other hand, having a girlfriend who wants me to grow in her house because her dad used to grow there before he died... that's a risk I'm willing to take. Get your ass out on your own, and get rid of those plants that you have in your desk right now. You put a lock on your desk doors, and your mom will break it open, just to see what you're hiding from her. Do NOT be a n00b.