My Experiment with Smoking Less

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by MMM3, Jan 30, 2012.

1. #1 MMM3, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
    So. Not really sure where to start. A little background is good, I guess. My name is, we'll just say M, and I'm 20 years old. Age wise, that makes me a sophomore in college. Credits-wise, I'm still a freshman.

Anyway. Last year, I went to Auburn University. I spent two semesters there and smoked all day, every day. I joined a fraternity, was surrounded more people than I could take, and drank more than a gang of angry Irishmen. I couldn't handle my own freedom and smoked myself into oblivion every day, smoking to forget the fact that I was skipping the classes that were required for me to stay in Auburn. But that's not what this thread is about. If you want to flame me for not being able to handle my weed, go ahead. You won't say anything I haven't said to myself.

I got back home from Auburn and stopped cold turkey. It really wasn't all that hard, but I did begin smoking cigarettes and cigars to ease the pain. It was nice to know that I could pass a drug test for the first time since senior year in high school, but my desire for weed was just too strong. Starting about 3 weeks ago, I decided I would meet in the middle. Each week I purchase 1 gram. It has to last the entire week (assuming I want to smoke each day). What I immediately noticed was the positivity that comes from smoking smaller amounts of weed. It's incredible, really. Normally, I am a very introverted person. Friends are hard for me to come by, good friends even harder. Girlfriends, both past and present, are more or less nonexistent.

What I have noticed with smoking minuscule amounts of weed a day is that it allows me to focus, converse with people I normally would be very stressed to deal with, and succeed in school. I have a nice glass one-hitter that I usually take a puff or two from before each class and I have had nothing but good experiences so far.

This post is really just an introduction, I am going to keep posting here to keep track of how my life progresses. I know that my tolerance will go up, so I've set an upper limit of 1.5g per week so that I don't attempt to bump that limit up and smoke more.

TL;DR: My thread for keeping track of my life at a rate of 1g/week. For all the stoners out there who think it can't be done. ;)

*edit/disclaimer*
    I guess I should be a little bit more clear about the purpose of this thread. It's pretty much going to be a public journal, a place where I can write down what I'm thinking, feeling, and seeing, as much as it is about the positive effects of smoking weed in moderation.

///M

2. I also did this to save money because being in HS and smoking a qtr to a 1/2 a week is expensive.
    Anyways I like to buy a g or 2, then grind it all up and use a screen and sprinkle the weed into the bowl, this gets me small bowls but after 2 bowls i feel pretty good.
    - Also look into a MFLB b/c that saves a lot of weed, i'm getting that in Feb

3. You might wanna delete the first paragraph of your post. I'm not American but I assume being a sophomore age-wise makes you 17 and that'll get your account banned.

4. A sophomore in college is not 17.

*edit*
    Unless he's real fuckin smart.

///M

5. [quote name='"Cruizer"']You might wanna delete the first paragraph of your post. I'm not American but I assume being a sophomore age-wise makes you 17 and that'll get your account banned.[/quote]

:()..…

6. [quote name='"Cruizer"']You might wanna delete the first paragraph of your post. I'm not American but I assume being a sophomore age-wise makes you 17 and that'll get your account banned.[/quote]

No in america we finish secondary school( highschool) when we're 18 then we go to college. Are you from Europe b/c don't you guys start college when your 16? Thats sweet

7. We finish highschool (year 12) at 17, yes. So we're turning 18 the year that we start University if we go straight to it.

In my location you'll see I'm from Australia :)

8. Alright, now that I'm not the age-police I read your post. The first bolded part... I did so because I don't personally believe this a very healthy attitude to place on yourself. As someone who has been going to a psychologist for 4-5 years I can say that I know a lot more than most average people about psychology.

First and foremost: Being hard on yourself will quite often have the reverse effect of what you want to happen. Think about a parent who's too over-protective and restrictive of their child. That child will usually rebel and go away from what their parent wants. Even if they do it on a sub-conscious level.

The same applies to you, instead of saying "I won't smoke weed for a month" say "I will not smoke weed for a month" or "I choose to not smoke weed for a month". Say all of those outloud or just in your head, doesn't really matter, you'll probably notice that the latter two sound far more convincing or at least uplifting, which is quite helpful to your situation and actually resolving your issues rather than being self-critical and destructive.

Now, the second bolded part, surely you can see the flaw in this sentence. You've already moved up .5 of a gram per week. Your tolerance will continue to grow and grow until you are up to a half oz a week, it happens and it's just due to the fact that you use tolerance as a form of reasoning for smoking more.

What I do instead is get a half oz whenever I feel like it, smoke it all as quickly as I can (usually really fun :D) and then take a break. I don't think I've smoked since... the 18th.

But my tolerance was so low before that (I got a half oz on December 24, Merry Christmas to me!) and was able to make that last till the 18th even while smoking some joints.

I'm not saying you need to adopt this method, and maybe it was easier for me because I don't smoke tobacco (never will :)).

Just keep trying stuff and try to be self-analytical, but not self-critical, unless constructive.

9. I am familiar with psychology as well. My mom has a PhD and is a professor of neuroscience, so I've always grown up with it. I do understand what you're saying, but I am somewhat in disagreement with it. Growing up, I was never challenged by my parents. They never pushed me to improve myself. As long as I was happy, they were happy, and I was always smart enough to get by with the bare minimum. I never developed a work ethic, so it's time for me to be my own drill sergeant and kick my own ass. I don't think of it as thinking negatively toward myself, I think of it as an experience that needs to be learned from. If I don't learn anything from my year of college, it will have been a waste and I will be no better than I was before.

Second, my limit has not already moved up. I have preemptively set the limit at 1.5g so that I cannot sneak it up in the future. Currently, at the end of the week, I usually have a quarter of the gram left. I used to go with the "buy whatever, whenever, and smoke it as quickly as possible" method but I always end up just buying more as soon as I run out. So I'm trying something different.

Thanks for the input!

///M

10. Well that's cool man, we sound quite similar other than the fact that my mother isn't a professor in neuroscience :p

But in my first year of University I did the same thing you are planning on doing, which is push myself incredibly hard and really crack down on what I need to be doing.

I ended up not going to labs and not going to lectures, even though I needed the attendance at labs to pass the semester.

So I withdrew and took some time. Now I've learnt that kind of attitude can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you are telling yourself "I'm going to go in and get awesome marks" you could be setting yourself up for disaster.

People like you and me who has been 'gifted' but never developed a work ethic usually put unreachable goals on ourselves, demanding perfection because we were always considered smart when we were younger. Then through highschool we coast along because we can and always have.

Then we create an all-or-nothing complex where if we don't have optimal energy, optimal time, optimal location it all becomes worthless because then we won't receive optimal marks. I've learnt over time that moderation is the key. Perfection isn't necessary, do the best you can do (within reason) and let that be that. If you can't pass your classes without having some semblance of a social life, some recreation and relaxation, maybe it's not for you.

But I hope for your sake you don't burn out incredibly quickly like I did for the first two weeks then go back to your old ways, because you won't survive if you do.

11. Met a... different girl tonight. She looked me in the eye for about 10 seconds and first thing she said was "You're good at reading people, aren't you? You shouldn't be so guarded."

I've met plenty of beautiful girls before, but I've never experienced something quite like that. It felt like she just probed my consciousness without a word leaving my mouth. It feels like one of those once-in-a-lifetime occurrences. I was so in shock I could barely respond. I don't remember what I said, but I'm sure it was stupid. She just laughed, and I could see in her eyes that she knew she had hit a nerve. I can't get those two sentences and the look in her eyes out of my head.

Anyway. Just writing it down. Closing my eyes for the night.

///M

12. Wake n Bake.

///M

13. Dude Auburn is the shit. The frats aren't filled with douchebags like in Bama.

I smoke a gram every week and a half. It saves so much money.

14. I think its this thing called maturity

15. Invest in a mflb, I bought one and it got me blasted for 4 hours of half a French I shared with my friend, what I usually do is buy a g a week and can make that last around 2 weeks. Props to you homie

16. I may get a launch box when my wallet's feelin a little more love. Right now I've got $26 to my name.

Took another puff earlier and now it's time to study for my history test tomorrow. Surprisingly, being responsible can be fun. Well, maybe not fun. Gratifying is the better word. And the knowledge that I can't fuck this up definitely helps hahaha

Everyone having a good day?

///M

17. Woke up this morning, went for a little 1-mile jog to wake up. Headed over to school, smoked a cigarette and took a puff on the way. Got some last-minute studying for my history test done and took the test - hopefully I'm looking at a 92-94 after talking to people in my class. I knew almost all the answers, so I'm thinking I can't have done badly. That's another thing I've noticed about smoking less: my memory is a whole lot clearer and faster than it is when I'm smoking a whole lot. Studying after smoking two or three bowls would've been impossible, but after one puff you're just awake enough to get shit done.

Talking to a girl in my history class as well. Went and got coffee at starbucks after the test, so that's another good thing. Life seems to be just swell, blades. Right now I'm smoking on some Afghan Trainwreck hybrid and it has the most beautiful smell in the world... It's so hard to only take one puff each time I smoke hahaha

///M

18. 'College' is the UK isn't the same as college in the US. Its where you can go to finish your exams 16-18, or older if need be.

University is the British equivalent of college and that starts at 18.

19. I lived on a gram for a week lol shit was hard but made really love weed.