Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

My Experience Making Edibles with Vaped Bud

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Sweetpea77, Jun 22, 2012.

1. GROSS!!!!!!

we had 1 oz of vaped bud and 2 oz's of old shake, I made butter using hashmouf's recipe. It was the stinkiest nastiest shit I've made.

I made both "puffed" wheat squares, and no bake haystack cookies (even put in some peanut butter to help the taste), and it was disgusting.

The puffed wheat squares tasted WAY better than the cookies, but they both tasted like eating a chocolate covered roach.

I will not be doing that again!!!!:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  2. I should say that both myself and my brother were totally useless the next day. We didn't eat the treats until about midnight and ended up passing out. But holy shit, the next day we were fucked.

But the taste was just too nasty for me to eat any of the other stuff.

3. You used water, didn't you.... it's responsible for the nastier tasting oils, even with fresh herb, but especially with vaped material. :eek:

Even your butter should be clarified first, to remove its water (and milk solid) content!

But it's a learning process, trial and error can be worth it in the long run... hopefully the finished product at least did something for you! :smoke:

4. #4 Sweetpea77, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012
    Nope no water used, followed Hashmouf receipe to a tee.

But I would love to use it in some way that isn't gross. It does seem like a waste of good cannabanoids, which are great for me and my fibromyalgia.

I am curious if it has to do with the fact that both of these items were not baked? I have a bit of butter left and still want to give it a try. Maybe I'll bake myself a teeny loaf of banana bread...

5. #5 BadKittySmiles, Jun 22, 2012

As mentioned earlier, the water in the butter (that water, combined with the browned vaped bud, not to mention the traces of water in the herb, if you didn't decarb the old shake) causes the horrible flavor. :)

You could water-wash the butter now that most of the inert plant matter has been strained away, it can soften the flavor, but you'll likely lose a fair bit of potency this way. It's a matter of adding water to your butter, heating, slowly cooling and allowing the butter to harden and water to separate.. it usually takes repeating this process three or four times to clean up a dirty batch of butter (however; glandular material sinks, and especially with quickie butters, a good bit of your potency separates and sinks to be lost with the waste-water... I'd suggest heating your butter as it is, gently, for at least an hour or so before attempting any water washing to encourage an actual, persistent, bioavailable solution between your solute/glandular material, and solvent/oil... right now, all you have are free-floating cannabinoids. Wash them, and you'll really be out of luck!).

All you can do now, if you don't want to risk water-washing, is experiment to see if you can find a recipe that all those bitter plant salts, chlorophyll and 'crisped' inert plant matter can be hidden in adequately for your own taste-buds! Some people have more trouble stomaching a dirty butter than others.

I'd suggest something with more sweet peanut butter and rich chocolate flavor, than a simple haystack, and layer it (for instance, you could make chocolate brownies, then use some extra oil to make peanut butter frosting... canna peanut butter whoopie pies are also awesome. When the chocolate and peanut butter aren't pre-mashed together beforehand, and you can instead mix them with your mouth, they cover and mask flavors much, MUCH better). :smoke:

And if it's really that horrible, you could always follow a medical grade recipe, make a proper, clean canna oil/butter or better, a hash oil, to combine your dirty oil with to increase the potency, and reduce and thin out the flavor of that last batch. :hello:

6. Wait do you mean you were still high when you woke up?
    Also I've been curious about how much ABV will get me high in a single dosage edible?

7. #7 BadKittySmiles, Jun 22, 2012

With most good edibles, if you eat them after 4 - 5 or so in the afternoon and it's a good/large dose (about the equivalent or the amount you'd usually smoke), they can leave you feeling very medicated when you wake up, and for several hours after. Sometimes just as medicated if not more-so, than when you went to bed!

And if you have a tiny wake and bake session?.. Wow!

Your metabolism and the rate your body can process chemicals slows down a bit when you're sleeping, cannabinoids, like many chemicals (pharmaceuticals, to simple nutrients/vitamins) are sometimes more, or less effected by the sleeping-metabolism.
    Assuming for instance, that the sensations provided by an edible generally last for 12 hours for one patient (and it's different for everyone), if that patient ate an edible at 5pm, then it didn't kick in until 6pm, and they went to bed by midnight, they can almost pretend that at least several of the hours they slept slowed down, or "didn't count" towards the length of their edibles effectiveness, and they'll feel pretty zonked for most of the morning, and even part of that following afternoon. :)

The lower your tolerance is, or if you don't have edibles very often, the more likely it becomes that you'll notice (sometimes powerful) residual sensations the following day.

Edibles encourage the least degradation of potency, compared to smoking and even vaping, and with edibles your liver causes the formation of much, much more of the more powerful 11-OH-THC from your D9THC, (and more or less can be converted, depending on the oil source you choose!).

When processed well, edibles can provide a stronger, much more powerful, and much longer-lasting experience, from less material than you'd usually smoke. :)

---

As for your question... pre-vaped bud dosage, or the weight required per serving, will vary based on several factors, it varies much more so than fresh flowers, and I no longer even give quantity recommendations for those in my own tutorials; it varies based on the initial potency of the bud pre-vape, on how much you vaped it (which is often hard to determine for yourself!), on your personal tolerance, and how much oil you will need depends on what you plan on doing with it.. taking the quantity you decide on, and covering with oil enough to make a 'slurry' (I tell patients 'not quite as thin as soup, not quite as thick as oatmeal'... using the right amount of oil, not too much, or too little, will prevent it from being either too weak oil, or impossible to strain).

Even with fresh flowers, it takes knowing the above (current potency/personal tolerance) plus a little trial and error with your processing methods, to determine the dose that's best for each individual patient or recreational user...

I know, I know.. it would be nice to get an actual number!

I could just say 'start with 0.35g - 0.5g, and go from there', but that same dose could cause a massive green-out for one patient, and a truly boring evening for another.. no one dose works perfectly for everyone, especially if the herb is vaped.

It's hard enough where we already have different tolerances, and when we're already smoking bud that could be 5% - 20% THC. At least with fresh flowers I can say, "smoke some first, to see how much it takes to feel good, then use about that or less per dose." :p

Smoking pre-vaped bud, even exposing it to higher vape-temps just under combustion, degrades and destroys too much of the remaining potency to be very accurate.

It's why I tell patients to think about it, and why instead of actual numbers, I give them the resources or information to determine their own dose-to-oil ratios. :)

---

Long story short, the best idea with material of 'variable potency' (trim, vaped bud etc.) is to start off high/quantity-wise when making your oil and edibles, so you can eat the finished edibles in portions...

It's much better to discover that you only need half a cookie, or even just a small bite, rather than finding out much too late that you'll need to eat the entire batch just to get buzzed (or finding out after you've eaten it, that you made your one and only serving much too weak, leaving you without enough material remaining to make a whole serving). :p

If you do want a number, then if it's very pre-vaped and fairly brown, just assume that about double to triple the weight you'd usually smoke would be a good dose (still, start with half, and wait 30 - 40 minutes before eating the rest). Double is often enough to compensate for missing potency in vaped herb, triple if you very nearly combusted it... and don't forget to make oil.

If you don't make oil or butter, you'll have to multiply your dose further, to compensate for what your body can't absorb (we make oil, not just to strip the glandular material from the plant matter after all, but to facilitate absorption once we eat it). :)

Sorry for the long post... hope this helps clear things up! :smoke: