My essay on Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Stoner4lyyfe, Dec 18, 2011.

1. #1 Stoner4lyyfe, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2011
    i wrote this essay for school...got an A+ haha
    Just a Plant

When most people think of illegal drugs, usually the first things that come to mind are bad, dangerous, and addictive substances. True, most illegal drugs such as crack-cocaine, meth, and heroin are bad news, but what about marijuana? Marijuana is the dried leaves and bud of the cannabis plant. It is usually smoked, butcan also be cooked in baked goods and then ingested. The effects of marijuana give the user a somewhat euphoric or lazy feeling. This is due to theTetrahydrocannabinol or THC crystals visible on the bud. The amount of crystals on a plant determines the potency of the strain. Recently, a study was done to reveal the true dangers if marijuana on the human brain. The results show thatafter 13 years of marijuana smoking, no permanent damage was done. But marijuana isn’t just used for recreational purposes. Many people use marijuana as a remedy for pain. Marijuana was proven to be neither lethal nor addictive,which makes it a safer alternative to prescription painkillers. It is used commonly by cancer patients to treat the nausea caused by chemotherapy. In1995, marijuana was made legal for medical purposes in the state of California. However, the plant is still illegal under federal law. This means that the federal government has the right to overrule state laws and shut down the marijuana dispensaries in California. When the DEA steps in and raids a dispensary, they leave nothing behind, taking all the medicine, even thepatient records. After all this information, you may be asking yourself “why is marijuana illegal?” here are the facts; it was outlawed in 1937, starting with the state of Utah. The true reason for illegalization has been debated. Some believe that it was outlawed when agroup of Mormons came back from Mexico with the drug. Since the Mormon Church forbids things like cigarettes, alcohol, even coffee and tea, the Mormons outlawed marijuana in Utah, as might have been expected and soon other states caught on. Others believe that since hemp produces stronger fibers for making paper, and hempseed oil was the primary source of fuel in the early 1900s, it was made illegal as a result of paper and oil companies that feared the competition. Whatever the reason, our government continues to throw more and more people each day in prison, all because of a plant. In 2000 there were more than 730,000 marijuana related arrests in the United States. Former president Nixon even rejected the findings of a commission he himself set up, which found that marijuana wasn’t particularly harmful and should be legalized. Marijuana smoking can be traced back thousands of years. In fact, George Washington,Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin all grew cannabis. In a recent study, it is estimated that if marijuana was legalized and taxed it would create a $24,000,000 industry in the United States alone. This would mean more jobs and more money to spend on things like education and healthcare, which would result in a better economy. Alcohol and tobacco are drugs as well. Yearly deaths from tobacco: 440,000 (Centers for Disease Control) Yearly deaths from alcohol:85,000.(Journal of the American Medical Association) Yearly marijuana related deaths: 0. (U.S. Drug Abuse Warning Network) since it is a proven fact that marijuana is not particularly dangerous, why is it still considered a class A illegal drug alongside cocaine and heroin? A cocaine overdose can be as little as 25 mg., or about the size of a cornflake. A heroin overdose about 80mg., equal to the weight of half a peanut. For a marijuana overdose, one would have to smoke over 1500 lbs. of marijuana in under 15 minutes, or eat about 250,000 pot brownies. Since a marijuana overdose is virtually impossible, there are no reported deaths caused by cannabis throughout the 6000 years humans have been using it, does it really make much sense for the American government to spend federal tax dollars funding a war on plant proven to have medicinal benefits when more dangerous substances like alcohol and nicotine continue to be legal? Recently it was discovered that Cannabidiol (CBD), a non-psychoactive cannabinoid of marijuana (which means it won’t get you high) has been extracted from the plant and proven to help patients suffering with diseases such as schizophrenia, epilepsy,social anxiety disorder, and even cancer. In Canada, the extract has even been marketed under the name Sativex, a mouth spray used to alleviate pain. Many believe that America’s laws regarding marijuana and hemp are unconstitutional, and Americans have been kept in the dark all these years about the benefits of this herb. The NORML foundation (National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws) and other activist groups like it will continue to fight until marijuana is legal for both medical and recreational purposes in the United States, thus, taking control of the industry out of the hands of criminals, and in return making our country an all-around better place. I have hope that one day, America will truly be a nation where the rights all people will never be denied, and our government will put what benefits it citizens before anything else.

2. Great essay, might want to break it up a little to make it easier to read though, it is a bit of a wall of text.

3. Very good essay would you mind me using information from this essay in the paper I am writing to show the rents? (Sick of hiding my smoking)

4. #4 Deleted member 89359, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    this, and the Nixon study cocluded decriminalization i thought?

sides that it was readable, fluid, and well written for sure

EDIT: prohibition works better than 'illegalization' IMO

5. u deserve a A+++, wat class was this for

6. If you separate the essay into smaller segmented but streamlined paragraphs, you will be golden.

7. Nice essay man :) as said above, bit of a wall but content is excellent :)

8. Awesome essay, the only thing that bothered me is that the government rates substances on a schedule, 1-5. Marijuana is rated as schedule 1 (high potential for abuse, no medicinal value) along with heroin, yet cocaine is a schedule 2 drug (some medicinal value). So according to the controlled substances act the government would rather people use cocaine than mary Jane?! Wtf?!

9. Read it all, nice read. I liked the proper grammar as you rarely see anything close to english in forums. Nice work man.

10. [quote name='"xXHelixXx"']Awesome essay, the only thing that bothered me is that the government rates substances on a schedule, 1-5. Marijuana is rated as schedule 1 (high potential for abuse, no medicinal value) along with heroin, yet cocaine is a schedule 2 drug (some medicinal value). So according to the controlled substances act the government would rather people use cocaine than mary Jane?! Wtf?![/quote]

Cocaine is a topical painkiller. Usually not just given out

11. great essay. Was this done for a high school or college class?
    I ask because some high school teachers can be stuck up when it comes to these topics.

12. [quote name='"Phisherman"']

Cocaine is a topical painkiller. Usually not just given out[/quote]

I assumed it was lumped into schedule 2 with the help of Novocain and whatever other drugs are made with coca plant derivatives sorry blazed posting but I see your point, not like there's cocaine dispensaries I just wanted to point out the ridiculousness of our governments opinion on marijuana... How's that for a run on sentence?

13. Great! Loved it!
    Two things though, You should have thrown in something about how it has been proven to CURE cancer (not just treat it), reverse brain damage caused by drinking, etc (just a bit more medical facts)
    Also, the amount of Trichomes (thc crystals as you called them, which is a bit innacurate) on the plant does not directly relate to potency. There are buds that could be almost devoid of trichomes and be extremely potent, and the flipside with frost all the way to the tips of the leaves, and yet it doesn't have that kick.

But still, other than that, it was great. I think you deserved that A+

14. [quote name='"xXHelixXx"']

I assumed it was lumped into schedule 2 with the help of Novocain and whatever other drugs are made with coca plant derivatives sorry blazed posting but I see your point, not like there's cocaine dispensaries I just wanted to point out the ridiculousness of our governments opinion on marijuana... How's that for a run on sentence?[/quote]

Novacaines sched 2? Who the hell enjoys that shit? Its soo damn numbing. And that sentence couldve been fixed with a comma or 2

15. yeah dude go ahead

16. yeah it was for my high school writing class, our assignment was to write about a "controversial" topic

17. it was for my writing class

18. Awesome work. Thanks for the ok to pass this on. I had to save this, it may come in handy. Needs some proofreading before you publish it, just minor stuff. A couple of little typos and some spaces missing. I will go back through my copy and make the corrections before sharing. Maybe break a few paragraphs in too. Wall of text LOL...

Did your teacher give you any commentary?