My English paper

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by untamedlion33, Apr 6, 2012.

1. [FONT=&quot]The Cultural Impacts of Science[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In modern society it is often we take for granted the importance of scientific endeavors. Currently what's vastly unknown to the general public yet proposes very drastic changes are the Higgs boson. The issues surrounding this particular boson's existence prompts a large scientific as well as cultural change that has every scientist scrambling. While the future of science is uncertain, the current events surrounding it offer many signs to be intrigued. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] The Big Bang, M-Theory, Black Holes, Entanglement Theory, and several others are all aspects of the standard model. These theories really are not perfect because they are too big to be proven to be absolutely so. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Heisenberg's uncertainty principle demonstrates that atoms basically can be measured in one way and measured another way and the result is two different results. String theory and entanglement theory can show that additionally atoms can move freely to any random point of the third dimensional universe with seemingly no cause. On the macro scale, physical things made up of atoms are not constantly coming and going and disappearing. Generally, when you drink a cup of coffee it doesn't suddenly disappear in mid air, the trouble is the atoms that makes up the coffee is. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]To create a theory of everything science must be able to combine quantum mechanics with cosmology. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Bosons are the physical aspects of universal forces. Take away everything you know about atoms and think of them as a simple glass of sugar water. Outwardly, you can look at your glass of sugar water and think it is nothing more than just a glass of water until you taste it. It is the same as an atom but instead of just tasting the sugar we experience the sugars effects everywhere and in everything. Essentially a boson is the most elementary (smallest) particle and in our water model it is the sugar. Bosons are the physical forms of the universal forces, instead of electromagnetism or gravity our boson is what makes the water sweet. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The question of “what are atoms made of” is very inconclusive and expensive as is the history of the quest for Higgs. In Geneva Switzerland September 29, 1954 The European Union opened C.E.R.N. Later in Batavia, IL November 21, 1967 the United State Government opened Fermi Lab. These labs are particle accelerators that smash atoms at 99.9% the speed of light so to break them apart to see what they are made of. Obviously C.E.R.N made the first discoveries of subatomic particles, and many theories about them started to spread. One theory was proposed in 1962 by Phillip Warran Anderson that there must be something creating mass in the universe. It was because of this theory the Big Bang theory began to get attention, thus starting the standard model. Fermi Lab and CERN began searching specifically for Higgs sometime in the mid 1980's. Though both labs were technically competitors they made it a point to work together in the quest for Higgs. As scientific theory progressed to what we know today the need to find the Higgs became much more apparent. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]What makes mass so important in the standard model is everything in it is measured by mass. While other factors are included (such as volume, speed etc.) mass is something scientist can safely assume all matter and energy has. It is because of this assumption naturally the math of theories have been based on how much something weighs. If say a proton was without mass at the first billion years of the big bang, There would be no way it could attract another wondering electron and neutron. Logically the first element Hydrogen would never be able to create gaseous clouds. Clouds would never be able to condense together to create the first stars. Our universe would be still a big black void of wondering particles constantly repealing each other.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“The recession has affected us all” is a statement true even in science. Budget cuts, and upcoming election year has forced congress to cut Fermi Lab's funding in September 2011. C.E.R.N. also received notice from The European Union and is scheduled to close in September 2012. Currently the heat is all on[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]CERN, if they cannot find the Higgs all of science will have to change indefinitely. The directors at CERN are open to say they're desperate though pessimistic. Since the Higgs has a very narrow amount of size it can exist in, of which has to be distinct from other particles (meaning they can't just find a random particle and say “Oh that's it!!!”), CERN expects a 95% chance of coming up with nothing. The standard model is currently in threat.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    The lack of funding for Higgs currently puts science in a time that could be called a huge mess. Nothing is never really guaranteed in science, but altogether it can go in so many directions very quickly. If Higgs is to survive the future it will have to do what NASA is doing and that is privatize their funding. Unfortunately a hundred billion dollar particle accelerator is hard to sell to an investor. Stephen Hawking has said “it would be very interesting if the Higgs cannot be found.” Consequently, CERN keeps changing the expected size of Higgs boson every time they smash atoms together. It's almost as if they're currently changing the numbers on the bingo card as the balls are being called. A theory of everything proposed in the 1970's called “Technicolor Theory” has gained some new renewed interest. The theory provides a good alternative for the need of the Higgs by describing mass as different from a universal force. Meanwhile so many formal scientific institutions are getting the axe; several “New Age” scientific fields seem unaffected. Generally, “New Age” science could be considered pseudo science though the number of people taking interest in it continues to grow. The mix of events currently presented is bound to change society's outlook over the next 20-30 years.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]No one working in any field gets excited to hear the words “budget cut”. Though this paper was mostly written at a time when all of this was current events it has changed a bit. After keeping up with the story it can be seen how scientists are scrambling to save their jobs. As the story unfolds they began to see “signs” of its existence though they remain unsure of it. The signs they are seeing as explained are tiny electrostatic charges that match a possible unique signature. The signature can actually be anything hence the uncertainty. The element of common sense could suggest that doesn't make much sense, however people scrambling to ensure their life's work does. While respectable, a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] scientist working at CERN or Fermi lab with in the current air may not be able to find a new job. What is riding on their work is the complete theory of everything of which may need to be done over should they fail. With governments around the world cutting their budgets science is not a good field to be in right now career wise. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]T[/FONT][FONT=&quot]he news of space vacations have finally arrived, though not on the best of circumstances. NASA's space shuttle has finally received it's burn notice. During the budget cuts in September 2011 congress agreed the space shuttle costs too much, is very unsafe, and overall in practical. Fortunately NASA has the opportunity to work with private companies to fund space exploration, as well as provide tourism in earth's orbit. The Kennedy Space Center is undergoing new designs for space travel. Not only are they optimistic of creating a good space shuttle but [/FONT][FONT=&quot]actual elevators that leave earth's atmosphere. The new plans would provide the means of a tourist to go to space. Although not quiet affordable they estimate the trip to cost $10,000-$60,000 (perhaps more) per week. It is rumored Madonna reserved her ticket along with several other celebrities and business people. A trip to space all the same does have its intrigue and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]certainly reinvents the space program.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Russian space program could reliably be accounted for trying to exceed NASA. When astronauts go to space they have the very basic needs with them. Not only is a typical trip cramped but the food is untasty and squirted out of a tube. With this in mind, the Russians are designing their space tourism program to be a bit more comfortable. They're[/FONT][FONT=&quot] improving the quality of the food as well as designing private cabins with a view of the earth. Additionally they are planning to put in bars and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]conference rooms. Though the Russians space hotel is expected to be more expensive then NASA, it's planed to be a bit more accommodating as best as what's practical. As tourism is meant for leisure and business, it does make sense the experience should be less like a mission and more like a hotel to the Russians.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Eventually Space tourism is expected to come at an affordable rate to the average consumer. Both NASA as well as the Russian Space Program do not expect to make a great deal of money for some time. Space elevators just seem to make the most sense for the projects at hand. The popular design is a capsule that runs up a down a thin strip of a material called Carbon Nano Tubes. The Carbon Nano Tubes are excellent because they are flexible, strong, and can support adjusting weight of a moving[/FONT][FONT=&quot] elevator. The capsule designs vary in many ways from things that crawl up a rope to jet engines underneath. Whatever ends up being built is still years away, though it promises to provide better access for space travel.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]There is a fine line with pseudo science and practical science when in it comes to the standard model. As a former neighbor of mine and scientist at the Godard Space Center explained to me, science is only somewhat practical. UFO's are only pseudo science not because they don't indefinitely exist rather they seem to just come and go. Kevin says: “We can't put UFO's in a lab and study them the same way we can an atom, anymore then they let us.” Generally the standard model is a leap of faith, but one that can be based on something observable and can be tested within some kind of measurable parameter. The difference between science and pseudo science is it can be tested according to the scientific method.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In Darwin's theory of evolution the history is well displayed with much resistance followed by common knowledge. Three things are always in place to guarantee a future for something. First is interest, Second is funding, Third is longevity; even a small thing can explode with this mix. A possibility for the future of science is new age science for those three reasons. This for many scientists is why it can be concerning particularly at a time when budget cuts are across the board. Noetics, Intelligent Design, and other things find a good deal of private funding from book sales and the media in recent years. What's more, the general population could care less about the Higgs. The idea of combining religion and science isn't really a new idea, and could be expected from something as esoteric as the standard model. However, It seems to have taken a different image that philosophically can work in the standard model. Though like UFO's it's so farfetched to work with in any controlled experiment. Whether true or false science is a constant endeavor, what shapes the endeavor is often something people want to hear - even if it isn't true. While New Age sciences may not be factual it creates an impact in the culture of a scientific society.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]During a global economic crisis such as what we've gone through, it can be expected to see many changes. The length involved in scientific research is often risky and expensive for a very human need to explore. Essentially what's apparent is ideas change the way we set our goals. Though the Higgs boson may not be the answer scientist have been hoping for, other innovations have emerged. It's a time of a big change in science not just because of a boson but because priorities have been set on scientists. Science has gotten lazy over the years on a huge budget; what's clear is they get moving when times are tough. Hopefully that much can be seen by the general public; otherwise we are throwing our taxes down the drain. While space tourism seems a superficial achievement, it's a bold new step on an unsettled frontier. Although new age science is quirky, it does propose potential challenges for science throughout the distant future. In conclusion, where ever the road leads we can expect to find science to shape our culture in business, government, and who would have guessed even religion. [/FONT]

2. idk why a section of this got bolded when copying it, it's not meant to be different from the rest.

3. What grade level is this supposed to be?

and what exactly was the assignment? Do you want critical feedback - or just praise and acknowledgement?

4. Also M-Theory is not an aspect of the Standard Model

5. You need to work on your grammar, you're missing a lot of commas in there; and you have a lot of nominalizations.

6. That and all the contractions just jump out at you.

To say nothing of the actual material content.

7. Check your sentences, open ended.

8. Hahaha, it's true; the syntax of my prose is beyond bizarre.

I am king of the fragment sentence and the half-clause. You should see my notes!

9. [FONT=&quot]I'm not sure if you're asking for criticism, but:

String theory and entanglement theory can show that additionally atoms can move freely to any random point of the third dimensional universe with seemingly no cause.

This is incorrect.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Science has gotten lazy over the years on a huge budget;[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Only a handful of areas of research have ever had a huge budget. Finding funding - and holding onto it - is a nightmare and always has been.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Three things are always in place to guarantee a future for something. First is interest, Second is funding, Third is longevity; even a small thing can explode with this mix. A possibility for the future of science is new age science for those three reasons.

Longevity and interest in a subject don't mean validity. New Age has no science, so will not be a part of our scientific future.

What's more, the general population could care less about the Higgs. The idea of combining religion and science isn't really a new idea, and could be expected from something as esoteric as the standard model.

I'm not sure why you think that the Higgs has anything to do with religion?

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Although new age science is quirky, it does propose potential challenges for science

New Age 'science' has been debunked, therefore it poses no challenge.

In conclusion, where ever the road leads we can expect to find science to shape our culture in business, government, and who would have guessed even religion.[/FONT]

There can be no place for religion in science until it offers proofs or predictions. It can never be a part of science if it can't do these simple things.
    [FONT=&quot]
    MelT[/FONT]

10. i don't think science can deal with spirituality. science is dead and spirituality is vibrant.

11. :) TBH, there's nothing in spirituality to even begin to try to 'deal with', as spirituality has made no claims and offers no proofs.

"Science is dead" - well, no, in fact it's alive and well and digging deeper into our reality by the day, leaving god few places to hide. It's a proven success and has brought millions of provable facts to the world that have enhanced all our lives.

"Religion is vibrant" - Actually religion is stuck in the past, has been unable to give one single provable fact about our reality and relies on faith and lies rather than truth.

I'd say there was no contest.

MelT

12. #12 shrivel, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
    i like how you misread spirituality as religion. this is a clear case of wanting what you did not have.

lol

btw dude, i dont really care how respected you feel you are with your rep and all, but dont deliberately misquote me (and thenceforth proceed to cover your ass all without backtracking, as i predict you to do).

if you think corporate-funded "science" is vibrant relative to spirituality coming from within (and also science coming from within the same place) you're on one... and not a good one. do i have proof? no but if you're asking for it, prove that you can prove me something.

13. #13 HookedonPhonics, Apr 7, 2012
    What is this garbage now?? If anything spirituality can't keep up with the wonders envisioned by prevailing sciences. Also, in respect to your obnoxious response to a informed retort from MelT i'd only suggest that your apparent 'spirituality' is lacking in the fidelity it requires by definition.

14. #14 MelT, Apr 7, 2012
    :) The OP used both words interchangeably, I did likewise. I keep reading your bolded last phrase and am still not quite getting it? You're saying that I wanted to class spirituality as religion, because....?

As I don't respect either it would do you no good to be in either camp.

I hate to break it to you, but rep isn't of any real importance to anyone here. We're all equal, all as good as our last posts.

Misquoting you where exactly? I'm happy to discuss any points you'd like to make, but it would help if you actually said what I was misquoting.

Ahhh, the last resort of someone unable to support their own argument. Do we have to go down the route of playing with philosophy and semantics or should we stick to facts?

Firstly, not all science is corporate, not all is done with the aim of making a profit. You're restricting your definition to things like pharmaceutical companies when science is a vast range of disciplines from biology to astrophysics and archaeology. Not much money in those I can assure you.

But spirituality 'coming from within'? Are you saying that we should pander to fear, imagination and superstition simply because it's 'within'? Being 'within' is a pretty lame reason to think that something is worth believing in.

MelT

I just saw the edit in your post 'but you might be one of those people who's pro-laws too'. Pro-laws?

15. Put me in the game, coach!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRmbwczTC6E[/ame]

16. lol wut

dude, i didn't ask for a meltian fan club... what are the wonders you're so impressed by? are they scientifically established to be wonders of science?

note: just because science can be used to explain something does not prove that science is the reason for!!!

we all need a little faith - even the root of the word truth is faith, look it up.

etymonline.com or soemthing,.

here enjoy a magic video:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32eWaNgeg_M]David Blaine - What is Magic? 1/4 - YouTube[/ame]

if you have nuts check out this one too:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6HPTom2AY]The Science Rap! by Ali G - YouTube[/ame]
    what!?! god damn man, your ego is huge. i don't care if YOU can't make a proper distinction and you want to derive one and therefore the other... but im going to call you out in it. now you want to get defenseve and try to roll me up?

k man yeah, like you don't have a fan club given your empty posts...

i said "spirituality" and the part you quoted by me, supposedly, in your previous post was "religion". excuse you man, you want to prove how you connected the two so i can be up on your little level?

facts... yes, facts... established by "knowledge" at the time which changes over time. give me a break dude.

then you can call me lame, but at least i dont deny much of what makes us human in myself. i love these post-humans... no sense of huma- err humor in any of them

yeah man confusihg concept right?

17. Yes they're scientifically established to be wonders of science.. What does that even mean, do you require a definition of science? Discounting the obvious strawman in your post, and the other fallacies behind your logic, how exactly have you made the analytical leap between the discoveries based on scientific law to them being equally viable as spiritual explanations?

Spirituality defines the intangible or at least attempts to, whereas science deals with measurements, records and evidence to acquire tangible explanations, reasoning, logic and knowledge of phenomenon which occur within our universe. Through acquisition of knowledge we can compose an idea, an expression, of the laws and patterns that synthesize together to depict everything we see, hear, touch, smell and experience around us - furthermore, science can begin to understand the fundamental nature of the objective, and even subjective, beyond the capabilities of our rudimentary and infantile senses. We are beginning to unlock the mysteries of the cosmos, not defined by caos, but ruled by precepts which define us all.
    Spirituality on the other hand, does not attempt to provide any elementary evidence towards its convictions, and instead turns to simplistic and dogmatic 'within you', 'you require faith' mentalities that leave our imaginations and understandings in the darkness. You're obviously un-aware of the meaning behind axioms and universal laws, so what's the point even arguing against you i wonder.

Your defensive nature, accusing MelT of having an ego and a following; simply because he holds a respected word on this subforums - for, might i add, displaying a degree of intelligence one enjoys to interact with - further shows your lack of understanding for the subjects you try to refute against. Enjoy your darkness broseph, i for one prefer the truths.

PS. Nice retort to include a fucking David Blaine video...jesus christ.

18. discoveries meaning current belief sets, right? newton was all right... until somebody explaining it better, i.e. more relevantly to the times and people afoot right?

actually my brotha, spirituality does not waste time defining dumb shit for the masses... it simply is a way of experiencing the world, like science is. that doesn't mean it bends itself in retarded ways trying to stay abreast of the masses by trying to relay "high intelligence" and vocabulary that makes wives want to cheat on their husbands lol.

spirituality has its own logic too, just like magnetism has logic and so does gravity and so do atoms... there are many facets of existence bro and to think science has logical monopoliy is ego masturbation of the highest level.

begin to understand eh... at least you are modest unlike our friend melt here. thank you for that man, seriously. :D +rep!!

lol leave our imaginations in the darkness? so telling the imagination precisely what to imagine is leaving it in the light?! lmao! i think you wholly misunderstand what imagination even means. life is all a class to you... i'd say go and do some more amphetamines and keep that stereotypical thinking.

i enjoy the interactions with all of you, im sorry that you have certain requirements about enjoying individuals sharing thoughts on here. look past me, apparently i ain't saying shit.

19. Newton wasn't wrong though, his equations are still completely relevant to the macroscopic world we interact with everyday - the flight of a baseball to the orbits of planets. Einstein simply expressed his theory in conflict to Newton in a different arena on reality.

I define my tenets based of demonstration; i see no evidence of spirituality supplying me with even an atoms worth of it.

Spirituality sure opens up windows to let your imagination roam, but it tethers it to its dogmatic refutations of the world from it's own alluded perspective. Sure the early civilizations must of had intense wonders to picture their existence carried throughout the cosmos on the back of a giant turtle, but do you think had others not disagreed anyone would have just imagined the wonders of quantum mechanics. Evidence and objective reasoning lead us to possibilities within this universe our imagination couldn't even begin to grasp.