My engine is better than yours

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by meowmicks, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Stock for stock, the bmw inline sixes are good engines compared to a civic. Then again, youre comparing a performance sports sedan/coupe to an economy car. When it comes down to tuning a bmw is not really a good platform to be tuning on unless you plan on putting a supercharger or turbo on. I despise civics and modded ones especially, but they can be made to have a good power to weight ratio for cheap. Fuck posting hp/tq stats, lets see some power to weight ratios. I think the v8 guys would go sulking back into their holes.

2. #102 sfar785, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
    the "SI" line of engines was Honda's "sport" engine, their K24's and all the other DOHC engines take to modifications very well...but like you said, just like the BMW the Honda motors aren't a good platform either unless you wanna boost it.

You want power to weight? My last Civic was 440whp without my 150 shot of nitrous, car was a stripped EK hatch with a full cage and weighed in at 1930lbs. I've seen a tubed chassis CRX with a boosted K24 pushing 700hp in it weighed in at under 1400lbs without slicks or driver. A CRX regularly weighs around 1800lbs stock, add a slightly modified 350hp GSR motor and a tune, there's not much you can do to a new 5.0 to keep it street safe to even beat the GSR, yet the GSR will run for 250,000 miles, be VERY dependable and still do high-10's in a 1/4 AND the chassis is so light and the motor has the proper HP to make it a decent Autocross car...of course i'd take a Miata over a Civic any day for Autocross.

THAT'S why i like Honda Civic's.

3. V8 rock the power to weight as much as is beneficial. We been doin it for a while too, look at the shelby. Power to weight is neat and all but if you want to set head turning times you need hp/tq to go along with that weight.

4. my Cobra was 390hp (about 360whp) to the crank and it weighed about 3900lbs (3700 curb weight) with me in it, that power to weight ratio isn't near good enough for me...but with a few bolt ons and a tune i was over 500hp...but even at 500hp to 4000lbs, that power to weight ratio is terrible. Just to add salt to the wound, the Mustangs handle like shit, especially the 99-04 body style.

5. Hp sells cars. Torque wins races.

6. haha, my dad used to tell me that ALL the fucking time when i would buy Civic's, do minor shit to them and sell them for literally 5 times what i paid for it. He's a V8 man, he loves his SBC's and he builds at least 1 every few years (or at least he used to). He had a Crate 350 motor just sitting in his garage...fully balanced and blue printed, stroked (not sure to what), ported/polished and everything...just sat there for at least a year.

7. Gotta love old school muscle...

8. #108 High on blunts, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tZPj7Ebh0o[/ame]
    Yes lets talk power to weight

http://m.youtube.com/watch?client=mv-google&gl=US&hl=en&v=3jzwsPeANzQ

9. Hate on the W-16, The monster in the Veyron

10. 89 supra looking to do a 2jz gte swap in a year or so. The 2jz is a v8 an v12 killer 800+ HP stock internals .my buddy has a rb26 swapped 240 man that car is fast he's only making 500 HP but with a Car that light Corvettes are no challenge . Rb26 is to pricey for me an needs a lot of tuning an care . A 2jz Mr2 would be the sick an the ultimate toy.

11. I'm going to say that an inline-6 can harvest more horse power than a V-8 can after modding.

IMO a 600hp Civic would be a waist of time and effort. Spend the money and get a cool turner vehicle. Like a Mitsubishi GSX, VR4, EVO, A Subaru, Supra, GT-R or an older Skyline. I guess if you were looking for something cheap and good on gas and still fast a Civic would be nice but it would have to be a newer one.

All in all though I would take a slower GT Mustang over a fast Civic. For me it's not entirely about the speed of the vehicle. There's lots of other factors for me.

12. The first statment about the inline 6 and v8 that really holds no bearings or any motor comparison unless you are speaking specifics. Displacement, accessories, cylinder head, cam design, valve design, stroke, firing order, and many many more factors all play in to what an engine can handle. Basically if you wanted you could build a 4 cylinder with ridiculous power or a v8 it's all on how much time and money you want to put into something.

The next statement I completely agree with but also add that 80's-early 00's american sports cars are actually very cheap to build into 12 second cars which any joe schmo would have a ball driving in and could easily kill himself in. Those 600hp civics are worthless because they have to basically redesign the whole chassis to handle the power, because stock civic brakes aren't going to do much at a 160mph stop, the stock suspension is a joke, it's a terribly designed unibody, fwd(huge disadvantage), and they have shitty transaxles which need just as much money as the motor to handle power. When you could get an f-body chevy or something along those lines and have great bolt in suspension, a drivetrain good to 500hp/500ft lbs, and get some damn good numbers without forced induction making it more reliable and more friendly to those who aren't looking to drop thousands and thousands for something that needs constant attention or they cheap out and it's an unreliable piece of crap like most hondas I see.

13. Lol most of you need to actually learn about Civics before you post because you're mostly ill informed

14. I meant like a classic shelby, as in when they came out. Revolutionary for its time, throwing a big block into a lightweight chassis is nothing new to v8s was my point. Cobras nowadays are meh imo. I'm all for chevy blocks, a forged internal chevy stroker with a turbo or twin turbo is the sexiest thing ever. God I fucking love a decked out block roar. Small/big blocks are easy to build, reliable as ever if built well and they are inexpensive with potential as limitless as the sky. I built my first gm engine stroker f-body when I was 18 and that car is still out runnin the roads strong 13 years later.

There really is no replacement for displacement. I like foreign cars, the overhead twin cam is a very genius idea, it's insane how much power is being churned out by a boosted four or six cylinder. But I would rather build a car with a boosted 427 v8 block setup, a solid tranny, and a posi for less cost and get better times and more longevity of the car in general.

Here's a great video if you want to see some american muscle in action, not really related to my post but this video gets me all hot and bothered, maybe it will you too?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfA0Mh1CnQ]1500hp Corvette running on the street!!! - YouTube[/ame]

15. I see that but both those motors share alot of similarity with other v8's the Ls9 in the venom and the motor in the ford gt is based off i wanna say the 5.4 triton motor but im not sure on that one cant quite remember atm. Obviously an extreme example of 2 cars most people will never see/drive/buy but there both V8's n both have great power to weight ratios

16. I have a 7.4l 454 big block in my truck. Do I win guise

17. Now we can start the bbc vs sbc shit:)

18. I'm not I'll informed. I've worked on plenty of friends after they've blown them up and they have no appeal to me. The only thing they have going for them is that they are light, but it's also a disadvantage because the chassis are weak as hell. Using a Honda engine in a properly designed chassis is a different story. S2000's are excellent cars and with some work can be an untouchable strip and road course car.

Civic is an economy car nothing about it is built for horsepower. If you want something cheap and a little quick go get one but don't be that asshole out racing everyone and wasting all your money on it. Save up and buy something with better weight distribution, chassis design, rwd or awd, and just an overall more appealing car.