My engine is better than yours

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by meowmicks, Jan 8, 2013.

1. How does a bmw 540i v8 95 compare to cars nowadays? Its a dope whip but idk about its speed.

2. beastly 4.0 motor but it's heavy and handles like poo...i was into Bimmers for years until i got into domestic V8's. I'd kill for an E30 or a 7-series.

3. I can understand it being heavy. But handles like poo? I love the way it drives and the way it hugs the road.

4. it just oversteers a tad bit, i mean it's not like it handles like a huge Lincoln on the track but compared to other cars in its class it's not the best handling car...don't get me wrong, i'd still kill to have a mid-90's 7-series, they're gorgeous automobiles.

5. Someone hating on v8's? We all know there's no replacement displacement. I got a 8.0l v10 in a dodge 2500. That bitch would outrun tuned up diesels. Ok I don't have that truck anymore but shit!

6. are going to Beeville this year for the Texas Mile? I think we'll be down there with something...maybe a 1400hp TT Viper if it's running (no, this car is not mine, it belongs to a friend of a friend, he just offered to let us ride down with him).

7. The LS3, LS7 and LS9 are all beautiful engines both stock and tuned. Sure you can thow a ton of work into a 4 cylinder and it might be able to match the v8 stock, but put that work into the V8 and nothing will catch you.

8. this is the point most of you muscle car guys don't get, a stock V8 or even V10 won't keep up with a I4 with "a ton of work into it"...a stock V8 or even V10 doesn't do 7 or 8-second 1/4 miles.

I4's are great for guys on a budget or guys who like I4's...not everyone has to like V8's because not everyone believes they're the best motors...you can try ramming the idea down an import guy's throat but it's not gonna happen. Spoon and Mugen build fast track cars all the time, they build their motors with the same quality that V8 companies do, which is why the Spoon S2000 is so fucking amazing on the track.

9. It can actually be done in a weekend and has been done. It's not as simple as "slappin' in some turbos" that was a figure of speech so I don't have to type a list out, but manifolds, fuel pumps, injectors, cams, upgraded valve springs, upgraded heads, forged internals and just about everything except the miscellaneous plumbing and stuff is all readily available and bolt on or in.

That's the problem with transaxles, no room for a big enough ring and pinion to handle the power and the internals of the transmission section aren't much better designed either on most. FWD just sucks balls anyway. IDK if you honda guys could retrofit a GM transaxle by machining some adapters and redoing the mounts and everything, but they have some that have been built to handle some serious power. There is a 1250hp boosted Buick quad 4 engine in a Pontiac Grand Am that they modified I believe a 4T80E probably using parts for the 4L80E which is the non transaxle version.

10. Take a 2JZ and slap a 76MM turbo on that bitch and you've got 1000whp with a good tune. The v160 trans will have no issues holding that power either.

The t-850 5 speed that comes stock on the srt-4 neon is actually pretty stout, there are a couple weak points but for the most part they do hold power pretty well for a tiny trans.

You guys talking about forging and sleeving honda motors dont really get the point of this thread, its not a who can make they're motor stronger, its which ones are built the best from the factory.

Just for theory sake, slap a stock LS6, 2JZ, SR20, RB25, D16, H22, K24, or 13b into a miata, or 240sx. Stock motor for stock motor which one will be faster?

Also you V8 guys have to remember, of course a big block v8 boosted is gonna make more power than a 4 cyl boosted. Theres multiple reasons for not going v8 though.
    For instance, say you wanna build a car for the twistys. Are you gonna stick a heavy v8 in the front of a car with 50/50 weight dist?

11. 2JZ > V8

IMO, only because i've seen a stock Supra rape many many many V8's.

12. I dont wanna see the k-car mentioned again....
    Really guy?

Besides, k-car is Chrysler, since when is Buick a Chrysler product?

13. Really, stock supras ain't that fast. The engine is built waaaaay strong but they didnt even make 300hp to the rear wheel from the factory and in a 3500lb car thats not much. Boost controller and exhaust and you're making 400 to the rear wheels

14. uh, yeah guy, really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yT6tPsMfjI

and my bad on the Buick, i entered the text before i paid attention to what i was typing.

15. exactly, boost controller, engine is still stock...

16. Chevy suburban 8.1L V8 she's a gas guzzler but damn is that a big engine.

17. I stand corrected, i was unaware those had the option of 2.2 turbo from the factory.
    Touche!

18. Swap out the turbo, ecu, fuel injectors, MAP, and fuel pump and you've got 800+hp 2JZ but the engine is still stock.

That would be like putting a higher flowing intake manifold on a V8 and calling it stock.

19. Probably some sort of deal to help out Chrysler, they have been in financial trouble a few times over the years but that is not the car I was referring too.

here is the motor and I was mistaken it was in an oldsmobile concept and someone later either copied this engine or bought it somehow and put it in an 200x oldsmobile alero which is the same thing as a Pontiac Grand Am.
    [​IMG]

here's what it was designed for
    [​IMG]

and here's some info on another variant of the motor
    Oldsmobile AeroTech I | 0-60 Magazine