My engine is better than yours

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by meowmicks, Jan 8, 2013.

1. #21 midnittoke, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
    I honestly wouldn't ditch a MAF until I had around 650hp.. After that its more or less a race car and it deserves to be tuned regularly and be monitored closely. I don't make enough right now ( around 400hp) to have ditched the MAF. But it was a good deal on a flash and decided to try it.. Suites the car but i wouldn't do it for a daily driver that sees all kind of weather.

-I'm in a boosted 4 cylinder, those power levels are with 30psi on a bigger turbo. It's just sucking too much air for the sensor built for a 2.5" intake and its in a free flowin 4" in at insane levels.. There always that point and that's where I'm pointing my finger

2. How about the 389 V8? The original muscle car engine from the GTO.

For a modern engine though, I'd go with an LSx. Oh, and they get in the high 20s for the guy bitching about gas mileage.

If it doesn't have low end torque when I need to quickly step on it what good is it? Aint nobody got time to rev to 6k!

3. Ford 302 and 351, SR20DET and yes I know it is not a high horsepower motor but for a 4 cylinder I love the D16Z6 and B18C. Reliable as long as you take care of them and you can still have a little fun in the corners when you want to.

4. if you like the B18C then you'd love the K20A and K24Z7, way more HP and way more potential.

5. please its all about the straight 6 3.0 TT

6. Sadly I have yet to really experience one. I have driven a friends RSX a few times but I never drove it enough to get a feel for it.

7. i've driven a boosted K24 pushing 700whp in a stripped EG hatch on slicks...it's a mid-9 second car EASILY and it's not like it cost out the ass to build either.

8. To have a 700hp k24 you would have to have full forged internals, head work, new valves so you can machine better seats to handle the pressure, new valve springs, at least an aftermarket cam or better a custom ground cam for your application, an entire new fuel system, built transaxle, everything involved with a turbo set-up, plus better suspension and brakes so you can actually keep the car on the road, and a driver that loves fighting torque steer every day of his life.

There is no way that was cheap, unless $15k is cheap. Or it was just built really shitty and not properly thought out. Cheap is the $1200 I spent on my set-up to get 75-100 whp/wtq.

9. lol at the 4 bangers.

My 6.2L LS3 needs to eat though, so keep building those "fast" 4 cylinders!

Yes, we all know they can be fast, but when only one out of two hundred or so are built and fast, it's a joke. Hell, not even one out of two hundred... maybe like one out of a thousand... at best...

10. Yup you may be heavier but when you have 4x the horsepower from the factory it's not a disadvantage anymore. Slap some t62 twins on that thing to break 1000hp and I don't think they would ever have a chance of catching you without running off full methanol or nitro. Plus your motor will run more than 6 months before blowing up.

Power to reliability the v8 wins all day long. Even GM's worst production engine ever in my opinion had a longer life span with almost no maintenance. No shitty timing belts protected by a tiny cover that a rock could crack get caught in the belt and pulley and fuck your engine(speaking from experience).

11. This is what i'm talking about!!!
    Don't have the time to respond right now, but keep it going guys!

Socal is right, its all about the 3.0 inline 6.

12. #32 midnittoke, Jan 8, 2013
    Yes because building a twin turbo system for 1000hp is just slapping on some turbos... Lmao

-in a 4 cylinder the power is not the issue there are multiple 1000+ hp cars. The real problem I've noticed is getting a dogbox tranny that will actually hold the power and not grenade

13. what? i cant just put some ebay turbos on my v8 and get 1000 hp. I thought getting hp was cheap and easy.

14. ^^ this guy knows whats up. It is! If you have twin turbos you can add on a s/c for low end boost! I think it's considered a bolt on as well! Then add that NOS and it'll never break down..

-on the real though, VW did come out with a s/c and turbod engine. There are some people trying to use it as a model to mate a large turbo with a lot of lag with a s/c to help with spool and low end torque. Give it a few more years and it'll be more common. Tuning would be a nightmare I imagine.

15. I love the guys talking shit about boosted 4 bangers, lol. Any boosted B18 or K24 would cream on most v8's you put against them. Complete forged internals & headwork on a 4 cylinder DOHC that is turboed at around 16-17 psi can whoop some ass. God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope, remember that shit. :D

16. Yeah, but then boost that V8 whose ass you may or may not have just whooped and yours will become the whooped.

17. someone posted a video on here recently of a lotus with 6-700 hp and it had a dual charge system because the guy didnt like having to wait to spool the turbos

edit: and wasnt the dual charge vw recent, the tsfi or something

18. #38 sfar785, Jan 8, 2013
    i hope you enjoyed wasting your time typing this...i said "it didn't cost out the ass to build either", never did i say that his car was "cheap". But it sure as hell wasn't $15k...hell, i got 100whp extra on my K20 with an E85 tune and TODA VTEC killer cams.

19. i feel like google is the best engine... but they track what you do so maybe DuckDuckGo is the best

20. haha, that's not the case all the time. I got a buddy who has been building cars forever, last year or the year before he got a brand new 5.0 and immediately tore the motor apart and P&P the heads and whatever little odds and ends he did. He got destroyed by probably 10 4-bangers, anywhere from Civics to Evo's to STi's. Last thing he did was add a Whipple S/C to it, got it tuned and he STILL gets beat by boosted Civic's and STi's....and yes, he can drive quite well.