My Econ Paper on Marijuana!

Discussion in 'General' started by HalloweenGod85, Dec 4, 2002.

1. I just finished my Econ paper on marijuana. I will post it if anyone is interested in reading it. Its kind of long but oh well. If you read it please tell me what you think. Thanks

\tRight now your tax dollars are being wasted and thrown away in a losing battle, its the
    war on marijuana. Each year the US government spends millions maybe even billions of
    dollars fighting the war on marijuana and even with all those millions of dollars being spent
    marijuana still flood the US. Also how can you win a fight when around 83 million or about
    37% of the US population has tried it?1 You can't, no buts or what ifs, you can't. Lets look at
    some facts with marijuana's legal counterparts, alcohol and tobacco. In 1996 and estimated
    110,640 people died from alcohol related deaths2 and 430,700 from tobacco3 while zero
    deaths have EVER been report from marijuana4. That is a startling fact since alcohol and
    tobacco are legal while marijuana still is very illegal. Both alcohol and tobacco are physically
    addictive while marijuana is not yet both are legal while the less harmful marijuana is made
    a schedule 1 drug. Lastly lets look at the medical uses all three of these drugs have.
    Tobacco has no medical value and is the leading non-natural cause of death in the US.
    Alcohol also has no medical effects. Marijuana on the other hand has many medical
    benefits, its is good pain killer, reduces pressure on the eyes for glaucoma sufferers and
    helps restore appetite in people who have lost weight from cancer or AIDS5. Those are just
    but a few of the many reason marijuana should be made legal, now lets take a in-depth look
    into the economic reasons marijuana should be made legal. We will look at three ways the
    legalization of marijuana would help the US economy, the war on drugs, the prison system
    and last the revenue raised from its legalization.
    \tThe White House first declared war on drugs 31 years ago. Three hundred billion
    dollars later and victory is still nowhere in sight. Six American presidents have fought the
    anti-drug war, yet despite the billions spent and hundreds of thousands that are in prison on
    drug charges that range from the real to the stupid. The US government has spent hundreds
    of billions of dollars doing so, and has passed new laws to make sure it will spend hundreds
    of billions more. The approach of the war on drugs is based on supply and demand. You try
    to block the supply of drugs coming into the country to make the cost of marijuana
    skyrocket, making it so most users are unable to afford it. But this strategy has not worked.
    Marijuana is as freely available on the streets as it ever - and cheaper. "If marijuana were
    available in public health clinics and in private clinics with physicians at $3 a joint, you would
    not have any reason in the world in Mexico to try and send it to the US" says US Senior
    District Court Judge John Kane of Denver.6 Not only is money being wasted on the war on
    drugs but so are federal agents. Recent legislation passed in the US Congress has granted
    $183 million to put 1,000 more agents on border patrols in the south to police the flow of
    narcotics from Mexico and Central America. Another bill grants $35 million to be spent to
    create five "high-intensity drug trafficking areas" to patrol the Texas border with Mexico.7
    This is ridicules that we are putting so much money and man power into a losing battle when
    there are things in the US that could use the money such as the education system and
    welfare. The man power used to fight the war on drugs could be better used to help protect
    our country from more terror attacks. The point of the drug war was to keep evil drugs out of
    bodies of Americans but that has also failed. In a survey of drug use in The Netherlands
    where marijuana is legal it was published in 1999 only 15.6%8 had ever used marijuana
    while in American where is illegal that number is more then doubled at 36.9%. Shouldn't
    those numbers be reversed? No because it comes back to the days when you were a child
    and you did something just cause you were told no. It is the same thing with marijuana when
    it is illegal, most of its appeal cause from the fact that your doing something illegal and
    wrong. If the US government is still worried about the country becoming a nation of stoners
    then it should use the money from the drug war and use it to educate the country so they
    will be able to make educated choices if they want to use pot or not. Lastly the war on drugs
    is going to take a huge hit in the next couple of years. Canada, our neighbor to the north, is
    slowly but surly moving toward the legalization of marijuana. Marijuana is just months away
    from being decriminalized in Canada. This would mean the US government has two choices.
    Spend more money to fight the flood of marijuana that would be coming over the Canada US
    boarder or take the steps to decriminalize then legalize marijuana so the money saved from
    the war on drugs could be better used on our economy and not on this useless war on
    drugs. So why throw away billions of dollars and keep throwing away billions on a war of
    drugs that you will always be losing when the money could be taken and put toward more
    important and helpful areas. So many great things could get off the ground with the money
    used for the war on drugs. These billions of dollars could be turned around and be used to
    start up national health care or better the warfare system. We need to hold our chin up high
    and just admit defeat on the war on drugs and head in the opposite direction knowing
    everything that we can gain from it.
    \tA unforeseen problem that came with the war on drugs was the economic drain of
    the prison system. In the early 1990's when there was a surge on the fight against drugs
    many Americans were caught up in the battle and are being sent to prison for minor drug
    offenses. Your tax dolars are being used to pay for someone who is unjustly being kept in
    prison. Most of these people are just like you and me and instead of wanting a beer on a
    Friday night they want to spark up a J, and they should be put in prison for this? I don't think
    so. Marijuana arrests more than doubled since 1990 while, at the same time, the
    percentage of arrests for the sale and manufacture of cocaine and heroin fell by over 50
    percent9. Drug arrests increased 31 percent since the beginning of the decade. Rising
    marijuana possession arrests are chiefly responsible for this overall rise in drug arrests.
    Marijuana arrests rose every year since 1991, reaching an all time high of 695,200 in 1997.
    Marijuana arrests increased 59 percent during this period. There have been more than 3.7
    million marijuana arrests this decade, 83% of these arrests were for possession only. In
    1997, there were 216,254 drug offenders in state prisons, of these, 92,373 were in for
    possession. Also in 1997, there were 55,069 drug offenders in federal prisons, out of these,
    10,094 were in for possession10. That over 100,000 people in prison that shouldn't be.
    None of these people did anything wrong, all they wanted to do was smoke a little just like
    how many Americans want to drink a little. Filling up our prisons with all these people is a
    huge waste of money. Here is a sad fact. States spent $32.5 billion on Corrections in 1999
    alone. To compare, states only spent $22.2 billion on cash assistance to the poor11. Since
    the start of mandatory minimum sentencing for drug users, the Federal Bureau of Prisons
    budget has increased by 1,954%. Its budget has jumped from $220 million in 1986 to $4.3
    billion in 200112. That fact alone shows how much money is being wasted throwing people
    just like you and me in jail. Prisoners sentenced for drug offenses made up the largest group
    of Federal inmates (57%) in 2000. There is so much money that could be freed up form the
    prison system if marijuana was legal. A large portion of the money spent on the prison
    system is spent building new jails and prisons because of overcrowding, and most of the
    overcrowding is due to people going to prison for drug sentences. Despite the investment of
    more than $5 billion for prison construction over the past 10 years, the prison system right
    now operating at 32% over rated capacity, up from 22% at the end of 1997. The prosecution
    of simple Americans who like to enjoy some pot every once in a while has taken a huge
    priority over much more important issues such a education. California state government
    spending on prisons increased 30% from 1987 to 1995, while spending on higher education
    decreased by 18%13. From 1984 to 1996, California built 21 new prisons, and only one
    new university14. Now what is wrong with that picture? A lot I think. Maybe there wouldn't
    be this huge need for prisons and jails if money was used toward education and education
    of drugs, but no instead they just take more away from education when education is the key
    to keeping most of the population out of prison. And legalization of marijuana is what will
    free up the money needed to do this
    \tBiggest economic factor involved with the legalization of marijuana is the money that
    would be made. Legalization offers more advantages to the government and the people
    than just less crime, less drug use, etc. It would allow for the taxation and free market price
    of marijuana. The free market price of marijuana would be around 5 to 10 cents a joint, but
    in terms of intoxication levels, 1 joint is worth about 2 dollars of alcohol. This would enable
    the government to tax until it is the same price as alcohol. To get these prices, the
    government would put a harmful tax of around $.50-1.00 per joint. Harmful Tax is a tax on
    items to control their use to prevent abuse. Just this single tax could raise $2.2-$6.4 billion
    a year, saving tax payers at least that much or more. That is just one of the many taxes that
    could be put on marijuana to raise money for the government. Another way to do this would
    be to have a pack of marijuana joints cost the same as a pack of cigarettes. 20 joints would
    come in a pack that cost around $3.50. Somewhere around 1/4 of that money would go to
    the government as taxes. Another benefit of legalizing marijuana would be the cheaper
    price. Right now a ounce of good quality marijuana goes for $350. With the legalization of
    marijuana that price would be drastically lowered to about $100 a ounce after taxes. This
    would help many people with low incomes that still choose to buy marijuana. At a ounce a
    month they would save $3000 a year. Now we need to look at the jobs that would be open if
    marijuana was legal. Just from the farms alone thousands of jobs would be created. In
    tobacco states like the Carolina's and warm coast states like California and Florida would
    have most of these farms. Next many jobs would open at the processing and packing plants
    needed. Lastly many coffee shops would open all over the US a fair amount of new jobs all
    over the US and even more money could be generated from the sales tax that comes from
    these coffee shops. If marijuana is legalized it would become the new cash crop in the US. It
    is estimated that between 2,200-4,400 tons of marijuana would be grown commercial
    making is a serious competitor to tobacco. The international illegal drug business makes as
    much as $400 billion in trade, that amounts to 8% of all international trade.15 If even just
    1/8 of that could be made each year with the legalization of marijuana it would be a huge
    boost to the economy. Also the legalization of marijuana would take money away from
    terrorist groups that make most of their income from illegal drug trade. This would lower the
    amount of money needed to defend out homeland. The legalization of marijuana open the
    flood gates for hemp use which is illegal because it contain very small amount of THC the
    active chemical in marijuana. Hemp would make huge amounts of money and help the
    environment too. Hemp is the duct tape of nature, hemp can be used to make virtually
    anything that is currently made of cotton, timber, or petroleum. Hemp cloth is stronger,
    longer lasting, more resistant to mildew, and cheaper to produce than cloth made of cotton.
    Hemp paper could replace paper from trees putting a stop to deforestation. Also hemp can
    be planted and harvested every year while trees on the other hand take decades to be
    replaced. In a July 1998 study issued by the Center for Business and Economic Research at
    the University of Kentucky, researchers estimated that if Kentucky again became the main
    source for industrial hemp seed as it was in the past, the state could earn many economic
    benefits. If Kentucky had just one certified industrial seed producer, one processing facility
    and one industrial hemp paper-pulp plant it would create 771 new jobs and a estimated
    $17,600,000 for the state16. The hemp industry would be able to make as much between
    10 to 15 billions dollars annually. Last the legalization of marijuana would save law
    enforcement and the judicial system somewhere around 9 billion dollars a year off
    marijuana arrests. Now lets look at the total amount gain by the legalization of marijuana-
    $2.2-$6.4-Excise Taxes, $.2-$1.3-Sales taxes, $6-$9-Law Enforcement Savings,
    $10-$15-Hemp Industry, $.2-$1.3-Money from “Spin Off” things, $6-$10-Reduced hard-drug
    & alcohol use, $24.2-$43 billion = Total Government Saving a year! That is a huge sum of
    money that could be put into the economy if marijuana if legalized. Just imagine what could
    be done with 24 to 43 billion dollars. Areas such as education, that have been neglected
    and a need money could finally get it, things such as a national health care system could be
    started. Only good can come out of the legalization of marijuana.
    \tThe legalization of marijuana is what this country needs to get a huge boost out of
    the recession that its in. It seems that no wrong can come out of the legalization of
    marijuana, it creates new job and makes huge amounts of money. Marijuana is a safer
    alternative to alcohol and tobacco because it is not addictive and is unable to kill you.
    Marijuana also has many helpful medical values with cancer and glaucoma patients.
    Legalization of marijuana would also be taking a step toward ending the losing fight that is
    the war on drugs. It would also stop the illegal drug trade and the problems it brings
    because there would be no point if it was legal here. Ending the war on drugs would allow
    billions of dollars to be used spent on something that could help our country instead of
    holding it down. With the legalization of marijuana there would be less money need to spend
    on the correctional system. People sent to prison for possession would be freed and would
    free up the much need space in the prisons. With more space in the prisons that means less
    prisions going to be built. With fewer people in prison there will not have to be as many taxes
    spent on the prison system. With almost 700,000 marijuana arrest each year this would
    take a lot of pressure of the prison system and free tax dollars. Around 9 billion dollars
    would be saved for the law enforcement and judicial systems on marijuana arrest. Last
    marijuana and marijuana related industries would make huge amounts of money in a variety
    of ways. Just Harmful tax alone the government would raise between 2 and 6.5 billions
    dollars. The hemp industry which is held back because of marijuana would explode and
    produce upward of 15 billion dollars because of it ability to produce many items. The jobs
    that would be created from the legalization of marijuana would huge. A whole new industry
    would be made and it would need many workers. Jobs would be made from farming all the
    way to processing. Jobs would also come from spin off business such as coffee shops. In
    total from marijuana businesses to the war on drugs the legalization of marijuana would be
    and amazing boost the US economy. All said and done marijuana would bring in anywhere
    from 30 to 50 billion dollars to the economy. I don't think there is any other product in the
    US that could produce that much money for the US economy. Marijuana and its sister hemp
    are a POT of gold waiting to be taken. The legalization of marijuana is a must if this country
    wants to boost its self economically big time. The first steps need to be taken so we can
    thrive in a economic wonderland.

2. That's long....

I read most of it, but then realised I wasn't even half way down......so I've read about half of it, and I must say it's very good.

Did you get it graded?

3. It was supposed to be a 10 page paper mine was only 8 1/4 pages long. I am glad you liked it I just turned it on in monday so I wont se the grade on it for a while, but thanks once again

4. In it you said weed is legal in the Netherlands. Just to let you know its still illegal, just decriminalized.

5. summarize that shit man no one wants to read sumthin that long

6. deffintely. but it was a good paper though.

7. :hello: First of all, that was awesome. :hello: I learned alot and can only hope that our "wonderful" government would try it. I live in Ohio which is barely started any thing to legalize. I just thought I would give u my opinion.

8. Just to let everyone know, the original post was made 4 and a half years ago, and the poster hasnt logged on in other 3 years..

9. proof read that shit haha

10. beat me too it lol:wave: hail a 4 year old thread damn Necros :rolleyes:

11. haha yea i found a typo in like the 2nd sentence..

12. what the hell is marijuana4?:p

13. We bumped this thread for that? :D

14. The 4 is from him citing a source.

Ummmm yeah.. I could poke a bunch of holes all throughout that paper. It isn't a good economics paper at all. It is definatly more govenment orientated.
    That is a really bad paper.

Speaking of bad papers I have to get back to MY govt essay on medical pot :(

15. it's good man, but on your next paper you might want to try and not say the same thing different ways, and when you throw out hella numbers like that make sure its easy to follow.
    overall its a good paper, glad to see somebody sticking up for the ganj in school

16. just so you guys know, this was posted nearly 5 years ago.

17. Yeah I realize that.
    Anything to avoid writing a paper.

18. haha, oh marihuana, you devil plant and your laziness.

19. BUMP.

20. smoking, silly.:D