My Ears?

Discussion in 'General' started by SniperKitty, May 19, 2012.

1. Okay so the other day I woke up and the hearing in my left ear is gone. Well not gone completely but muffled.

It kind of feels like when you need to pop your ears on an airplane. I tried cleaning them with a q-tip, just made it hurt worse. Sometimes I get moments of clear hearing but then it just goes back to how it feels now.

It hurts a little bit but it isn't terrible pain. I've had ear infections many times, but never anything like this before. And if I wake up with an ear that feels like it needs to pop it usually does so within at most an hour after waking up. But this one hasn't.

I've tried hot showers to relieve pressure, I've tried ear drops that I had when I got my previous ear infection (not antibiotic drops they are basically like baby oil), I thought smoking might help releave the pressure like it did with my ear infections, all that did was make me not care that I can only hear out of one side.

Any thoughts or ideas? I just moved up here so I don't have a general doctor, none are open on the weekends so until Monday I have to suck it up, that's only if they can get me in that early as a new patient.

Does anyone know what the hell could be going on with my ear? Or does anyone have any ideas or tricks that could help to pop my ear (if that is indeed what needs to happen). It's driving me crazy hearing with only one ear >.<

2. I had the same symptoms you claim, all my hearing was completely muffled in my left ear.

I found out the reason for this was I wasn't cleaning my ears properly and kept pushing wax back to my ear canal. So I purchased some wax remover, let it sit in my ear for a few minutes then used a turkey baster to flush it all out and my hearing returned 2-fold!

If you've already tried this then clearly its important to see a doctor about this.

3. Do you have pressure in your head? Sounds like mucus is causing a pressure gradient. Look into ways to detox your body of mucus, juicing or blending a nice herbal dill, parsley, and other herbs helps to detox the body of mucus.

4. ^^^^^.

Never use a q-tip, as you said it maid it worst. It is very possible to just be like a sinus pressure. Go for a run, take a steamy shower, and drink some tea. Just let it be.

5. #5 Misseerie, May 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
    There is a bug in your ear:eek:....

Really though it could be something lodged in your ear. My co worker had the cotton tip of qtip removed from her ear after 2 weeks of ear issues. See a Dr ASAP, your ears can cause a ton of other problems if left untreated.. and im sure you not comfortable.:(

Maybe try a decongestant or NSAID

Could be cerumen impaction or Eustachian tube dysfunction, if you are without dizziness and fever.

Im thinking decongestants and antibiotics, more so than a cotton ball in your ear

6. This only treats the symptoms, and not the cause. Trying to find the cause would be wise.

7. ^^^^^this

if you don't have a turkey baster you can use one of those racquetball looking plungers.

8. [quote name='"LeroyDankins"']I had the same symptoms you claim, all my hearing was completely muffled in my left ear.

I found out the reason for this was I wasn't cleaning my ears properly and kept pushing wax back to my ear canal. So I purchased some wax remover, let it sit in my ear for a few minutes then used a turkey baster to flush it all out and my hearing returned 2-fold!

If you've already tried this then clearly its important to see a doctor about this.[/quote]

Where can you get wax remover? I guess like CVS or a supermarket like kroger? My husband said something about it yesterday I figured it would just pop on its own.

I have bad wax because of genetics (thanks dad!) So ive always had wax buildup but never to the point that I cant hear. Usually just get ear infections really bad.

I like your new avatar btw but I liked fluttershy more just sayin :p

9. Op it's probably allergies or an ear infection.

10. [quote name='"SniperKitty"']

Where can you get wax remover? I guess like CVS or a supermarket like kroger? My husband said something about it yesterday I figured it would just pop on its own.

I have bad wax because of genetics (thanks dad!) So ive always had wax buildup but never to the point that I cant hear. Usually just get ear infections really bad.

I like your new avatar btw but I liked fluttershy more just sayin :p[/quote]

You can use hydrogen peroxide if you've got it on hand.

One capful in your ear while laying on your side. Let it bubble for like 10 min then flush out. May require repeat uses.

The stuff you buy for earwax removal is called Debrox and its just syrupy hydrogen peroxide

11. Its OTC so you can get it at your local OTC drug retailer.

I can say with almost certainty that its just a wax buildup.

Let us know when you're cured :wave:

I love fluttershy as much as the next person but Chrysalis deserves some of my attention.

12. my ears got clogged up last year, felt like i had water in my head. it ended up being a big piece of hard wax. it was like the size of half a marble and black, pulled it out when i was cleaning my ears with a bobby pin, freaked me out and my girlfreind bout puked.

13. Never ever ever put anything smaller than your elbow into your ear.

(....wait, what?)

Yeah, that means don't put shit in your ear!

More often than not you end up with wax impacted (it get's pushed in and stuck) in your ear canal and causes loss of hearing and infection. It also traumatizes the super sensitive tissue in your ear and causes long term damage.

Don't put shit in your ear-- bobby pins, q-tips, toothpicks, anything...

If you're not having too much pain, it's probably impaction. If you absolutely cannot go to a doctor. Try warming up some olive oil (to as close to body temperature as possible) and dropping it in your ear with an eye dropper. Let it sit in your ear for a little while and then try to drain it out (a cotton ball and turning your head so the affected ear is down is fine.

After that, get a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water (1part hydrogen to 3 parts water) and use a bulb syringe (like a turkey baster) and try to get some pressure so you can flush it out.

When you flush: Hold you earlobe back and try to keep your head turned so the ear is facing down at about 45 degree angle. (I hope this is clear) You should be seeing plugs coming out. You'll know when it comes out. It's really gross and smelly.

If you get dizzy or nauseated, stop and sit down and just let the excess drain out slowly. Dry your ear with a towel or a hair dryer on low.

If you are having pain or fever or sensitivity along your face, throat or ear. Don't do this. Go to the doctor, it's probably an infection and you'll need antibiotics for it.

Good luck!

14. Consider going to a Walgreens or Rite Aid. Most of the time you can go there to get some kind of a check up from a qualified staff member. They can also recommend some kind of treatment.

15. some people's bodies produce excess wax

whenever i visit the doctor, he takes it all out with a squirt gun

16. my ears produce excess wax, always have. I've had the same problems the OP mentions, once as a little kid went to the doctor because of it. He just sucked it out with an instrument and then I was all fine.

Since then I've had it happen a few other times. It's always the same ear, my left one. I'll wake up and can't hear out of one ear, or barely hear. Usually it goes away after a few hours, but a few times it hasn't. I went to walgreens and got an earwax remover kit. Comes with a little dropper, special drops, a little tray. You put them in, and usually your ear opens right back up after you drain it. Sometimes it'll take a little bit, or you have to do a second round of it, and then your ear goes back to normal.

I haven't had one in awhile...in a year or so. One thing that I noticed that might be connected, is after a night of heavy bong use, I was more liekly to wake up the next morning with my ear clogged.

17. Okay so I've tried hydrogen peroxide, didn't work, once the little one's in bed I'll try the olive oil trick... A ringing has started in that ear as well, just a normal ringing or should I be worried?

18. How long did you do the peroxide? How many times did you try it?

You might need to do it several times to get anywhere, depending on how impacted the wax is.

Sometimes ringing can precede an ear infection.

19. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']

How long did you do the peroxide? How many times did you try it?

You might need to do it several times to get anywhere, depending on how impacted the wax is.

Sometimes ringing can precede an ear infection.[/quote]

I tried it 3 times until the bubble sound stopped so a couple minutes maybe 5 minutes

20. In my experience the OTC ear wax removal system doesn't do shit. Just go to the doctors and they'll use this hose thing to flush out your ear real good.