My Dog is Spoiled

Discussion in 'Pets' started by TheMunchinPanda, Aug 9, 2012.

1. I got cheese out for my bacon cheeseburger and she comes running over panting because my dad always gives her a slice when he makes sandwhiches. Do you know how much cheese that wastes? How much money we could save? But do you think I didn't give her that piece of cheese? Your damn right I did.

Also, make sure your done cooking before posting to GC. Although tasty at times, burnt bacon is not preferred by people under the senior citizen age.

2. Yeah, to dogs human food is a delicious luxery and they're all mooches at heart.
    Personally I never pinched pennies when it came to my pet/friend's happiness.
    If you wanted to save excess money you shouldn't have got a pet.
    ...this thread is ????????????

edit: Also are you also insulting elderly people in the post?

3. I think most people pets are.

My cat goes battshit crazy whenever I have yogurt. She loves it and will meow her head off until I give her some. She's a pain but I still love her

4. It's not a question, its just a post about my dog when I was high. I just wanted to share. And it wasn't an insult, just a jab at how dogs don't care what they eat but the older a human gets they slowly burn things more and more.

Chill bro.

5. My gf's dog is like but its because her dad gives her the leftovers off ice cream/yogurt containers. I don't give that dog anything, she annoys me so much.

6. Althought I do spoil my pets at times... People need to remember that human food is pretty bad on cats and dogs internally... and even though they love it, and we think we are making them happy, in the end we are slightly poisoniong them depending on what they are eating.

Stick with things natural like baby carrots (dogs love those)

7. That feeling when you're eating a delicious chocolate bar, and your dog is right there watching you as you consider eating the last bite...

8. i love cooking for me and my dog

9. Don't feed a dog chocolate unless you want to kill it and give it a heart attack.

10. I know eh... Same goes with pretty much 70% of the crap most people eat..

11. My dogs a bitch, she growls whenever i try to take her food and comes running with sad puppy face when I have food and I'm like "helllllll no bitch go eat dust"

12. Haha yea yur not supposed to fuck with dogs when they eat mine will snap at your hand if you even try to pet him when he's eating but literally the second he's done you can do whatever the fuck you want to him. Sometimes I take a broom and push his bowl around and piss him off on purpose though haha.

13. My dog is a scavenger

14. Never come inbetween a dog and their food...What would you do if someone came up to you while you where eating a steak or were preparing to and someone just comes up and grabs it right up and starts eating on it, you would be pissed too.

15. Hahah good shit OP, I spoil my dog too man! He aint going to be around forever, want him to enjoy his damn self while under my roof. I don't give him anything that is really unhealthy, but he gets his fair share of handouts :smoke:

16. Haha, you sound like you make 100 sammiches a day. It isn't wasting that much money to make your dog happy and you'll miss the times when he/she can actually come running in joy for a little treat.

17. My dog is long gone unfortunately. Although he had his fair share of chocolate before that fact surfaced... how can you tell a dog that chocolate isn't good for him!

He lived till 18 by the way, and did not die because of a heart attack.

18. My black stoner chihuahua has a two story dog house, 4 bowls of food and water that resuplly themselves... 4 little beds and a studded collar....

19. I love spoiling my pets too :) Between the cats, the fish, the birds, the toads and snakes, I'll sometimes catch myself buying, growing and even breeding more food for them, than I do for myself!

Let's just remember that dogs (and most pets) are not humans, and their physiology, tolerance and reaction to the foods we eat, and consider harmless, can be very dramatically different than our own.

If the below doesn't interest you, at least a bit during a discussion of spoiling pets, then you're probably in the wrong place (and possibly, shouldn't be responsible for an animal's well-being). :p

If that's the case, then feel free to click away or scroll beyond :)

In many cases, their digestion not only functions entirely differently from ours, but it is often much more efficient than our own and more chemical components will reach their blood stream, while we tend to 'pass' more material. So much so, that therapeutic doses of similar medications we can tolerate, pound for pound, must often be divided by sometimes as many as ten, or more times, before a safe therapeutic dose is reached.

A cup of coffee, could equate to a full 10-cup pot or more to a very large dog who's nearly the weight of an adult human, and going further it can be the equivalent of as much as five or six pots to a small dog or cat. Sudden exposure to so much caffeine, in an animal, can cause sudden respiratory failure, heart attack, and nerve tissue damage.

Between the caffeine and theobromine found in chocolate, dark chocolate and designer hot cocoa is a double whammy.

Cheap milk chocolate contains much less chocolate, and has been processed to remove more of its natural phytochemicals, than you'd realize... an ounce or two of dark bakers chocolate, an amount that can be lethal to a 20lb dog, can be turned into a 30oz bag of dove, or hershy bars. :p

We didn't know any better 'back in the day'! When I grew up, we fed my first dog, a very lovely german shepard, a little bit of chocolate around easter... she lived to 14, but (and this certainly may have been, and probably was, entirely unrelated) she died of many, many stomach tumors and her last days were not as happy as I'd have liked.

It always makes me wonder if just a few simple changes, could have made her old age and passing a bit less stressful for her.

Those cheaper chocolates are much harder for a dog to outright 'OD' on... it's more of a concern when they get into an entire halloween-sized bag, while your back is turned :p

You still should avoid feeding them to your dog even in small quantities, now that we DO know better, but if the fillers aren't toxic, they're generally safer in terms of caffeine and theobromine than more expensive and designer chocolates.

Moving on...

Real cheese can be good for dogs, in small quantities!

'Processed cheese food' slices, and spray can cheese, can be potentially deadly and cause permanent, cumulative damage in much, much lower doses, than natural cheese.
    Between the coloring and filler materials, the lack of the digestive enzyme lactase (required to digest lactose), and the ratio of fat, it can be a recipe for long-term or even swift disaster.

This is why animals shouldn't be given many (or any) artificial colors, over-processed or unnatural fats, and artificial or synthetic sugars, and why even the smallest amount of many common vegetables and fruits, that we can eat by the handful, should never pass their lips.

Many foods, flavorings, colorings and fillers, that are deemed 'safe' for us, are really not even all that healthy when we over consume them, but the body of an animal is another matter entirely.

Many seemingly harmless foods, which we can eat and digest easily and safely, when divided by the animals weight and given in the same general quantity, or the same amount after taking their body weight into consideration, many foods can be lethal to dogs, cats and birds, or can cause reduced lifespan and permanent organ damage in even smaller doses.

Even domesticated dogs bodily mechanisms work and function very differently from wilder breeds, and wolves.

An enzyme in raw or undercooked eggs (runny whites, soft scrambles) for instance, when not given with an adequate meal consisting of enough protein and diverse nutrients, can prevent the digestive system of many domesticated animals, including dogs, from digesting and absorbing B vitamins for days, sometimes even weeks after exposure, which causes permanent damage to their nervous systems, blood cells, and organ function... what's worse, the consequences are not obvious right away, and are long-term, so most people often don't realize the utterly devastating harm they are doing to their pets, until it's much, much too late. :(

Four or five grapes per each 20lbs that a dog or a cat weighs, can cause bloody urine, vomiting, diarrhea, kidney failure and even death... that's just a grape or two for most cats, and small dogs.

Onions, scallions and chives, and their juices, can disrupt digestion, prevent the absorption of vital nutrients, and can even lead to the destruction of red blood cells, via a condition known as Heinz body anemia.

Care about your animals? Want to spoil your pets? Then toss out that garbage pet food, the junk which is mostly corn that has been contaminated, or isn't fit for human consumption, that stuff you buy for $6 0 $10 for a 20lb bag at your local grocery store, and instead buy something corn and grain free, which actually suits their natural digestion, from a real pet store...

Pet sites like MrChewy.com and PetFoodDirect will often offer free shipping, which can be permanent if you sign up for scheduled deliveries, and their prices for many of the best brands are usually cheaper than your local petco/petsmart/vet. :)

With good quality food, your animals will need to eat less of it (saving you money in the long-run, in spite of the larger initial price tag) and they won't be vomiting or leaving so much waste around your house.

Actually, it may cost you more in the long run, because chances are you'll probably add a good 5 or so additional, healthy years, to the end of your loved one's lifespan. :)

My cats are 14 and 16 years old, but people usually guess that they're between 5 and 7 years...

Why?

They have a better diet than most cats, and the food and the treats that I gave them were not causing cumulative damage, that could come back to haunt me, now that they're 'secret-seniors'!

Even my little 'runt', who was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the eye, which she developed while I was over seas and staying with my family who smokes tobacco, who was given 6 months to live over 8 years ago (cured with cannabis eye drops!), is doing better than ever, and she's still speedy enough to catch us mice when they sneak in during the winter.

To look at her, you'd never know she was ever sick, or that she was even half her age. :)

Meanwhile, a few friends (a couple) I know have been through two and a half cats in the same amount of time... kidney failure, lymph-node diseases, stomach, colon and skin cancers, arthritis. You name it, and there's a good chance their cats have had it, and even their new three year old could be doing better. :(

They choose cheaper brands of food, they only add water to the bowl when it's empty, and very rarely, they feed their cats table-scrap treats that, time and time again, I have to remind them they shouldn't.

It certainly makes their cats happy at the time, but they've buried two cats they've lost to disease, and are working on their third now, in the same time I've had just my younger 14 year old... he was wild when I found him, and half-dead after being torn to shreds and mutilated by his father, as a kitten, and he's still as spry and crazy now, as he was at 4. :eek:

The temptation to ignore the warnings, is very similar to the way we feel, about ourselves, when we eat things we know we shouldn't, and partake in fruitless or unnecessary risky behavior when we're younger.... we sometimes think the world isn't going to catch up to us, and that we'll somehow defy logic that we should instead be using to our advantage.

We're not invincible, and our pets are especially not invincible... the consequences may seem non-existent now, but if you form a real bond with that pet, and if you grow to love him more and more over time, then when he's older and suffering, you don't want to look back and regret the decisions you've made, and feel directly responsible for his condition and the abbreviated length of his life.

Just some food for thought, or some advice to help truly spoil your pets... which is what this thread is about after all!

Going above and beyond, and spoiling your pet, doesn't need to be 'detrimentally decadent'! :)

20. Are you kidding me?.... So you fed your dog chocolate KNOWING it's bad for them? That isn't love and effection, it's slow torture.
    I'm glad your dog lived a long life... It's just WHY THE FUCK DO PEOPLE KNOWINGLY POISON THEIR ANIMALS THINKING IT'S BEING KIND. IT'S FUCKING NOT.