My dog is dying :<

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Justweed, Feb 1, 2010.

1. He's been sick on and off for about a year and a half now, he's had several operations on his foot due to some medical complications (namely tumors), and had some toes removed from one of his legs. Lately he seems to just lay around and stair into nothing.

This morning I woke up and after evacuating my bowels (I'm sick as well) I saw that he had thrown up everywhere, so I start cleaning it up. The entire time I'm cleaning up, he doesn't move, doesn't look over, doesn't walk off, doesn't move period. Just stands absolutely still. So after he's standing there for 15 minutes+ not moving, I get him to move and go outside. He goes and takes a piss, then stands in the middle of the yard not moving at all staring at my house for a good 5 minutes till I let him in. Keep in mind it's about 20*F outside, and snowing. He's a greyhound, 16 years old, and probably weighs 75-90 pounds max currently.

So I get him inside, and he goes and stands over his water bowl. He stands there and stares out the window for at least 20 minutes, absolutely still again, just standing and staring. He finally goes and lays down in front of the backyard door on the carpet (he never does this, since he's so skinny his body needs a bed to lay on), instead of on his bed which is maybe 10 feet away. I let him sit and rest for a few minutes, and then checked on how he was doing. His breathing seems pretty shallow and faster then normal (he usually takes a biiiiig breath, holds it in 1-2 seconds, then slowly releases. He was breathing in an almost human pattern, just intake, output, intake, output), and his eyes are just staring out into nothing.

I texted my mother, she'll be here to take him to the vets in probably 2 hours or so. It's sad, but I'm going to be happy if he gets put down. He's 16 years old next month. He's lived a long and good life. He outlived his brother (a collie) by a year, but since then he just hasn't seemed as happy as he used to be.

Just felt the urge to post this on here, I'm feeling really poopy today and it doesn't look like things are going to get too much better. I realize that it's his time to go and that death is just another phase in life, so that's helping, especially since he seems to be alright with his death as well.

<My dog is acting weird, he's really old, and he's probably going to die in the next few days if not few hours.

My mom just called me and she's on her way home. Her and my neighbor are going to take him to the vet, probably to be put down....

2. That sucks bro. :(

It's really hard to deal with that. One of my friends just put her dog down a couple months ago. He was 13 and it was his time unfortunately. Hardest thing she had to do.

Your dog is 16 and lived a LONG life compared to most dogs I would know. I don't know anyone who had a dog past 12-13.

Remember when it does happen he won't be suffering anymore.

3. [​IMG]
    That's a picture of him in the back of the car before going to the vet. The sock on his foot is covering his messed up foot that had surgery on it so he wouldn't lick it. If you look at his chest you can somewhat see one of his cancerous tumors. The round thing that's in the middle of his chest. The vet was pretty sure the cancer got into his lungs and that we really were making the best decision for him.

Sadly Chance (that's my pepper) is no longer with us. He went down at about 10:30 or so. He went peacefully and was with his mom and brother (me) so I think he was at peace when he went. Watching him slowly drift off was peaceful and after he closed his eyes I felt like a weight had been lifted and suddenly I didn't feel the urge to cry anymore. He's in a better place now, wherever that is.

RIP Chance, February 1994-February 1, 2010.

4. aww i feel for u man, my cat died 3 months ago mind you I grew up with this cat. My cat kinda acted like your doggy then died 2 days later im sorry man i really em i know its hard when ur best friends have to go....:( this thread made me super sad i feel for you man ill pray for ur doggy.

5. I hope you feel better bro cause I sincerly wouldnt know how to cope with my Dog dying and the meer thought of it makes my heart crinch .. So I couldnt imagine the pain ur feeling at the moment I hope you and your family the best and stay strong bro and rember the good times with your dog and his memory will live in you forever. :)

6. Im so sorry. I have had to do this too many times to my pets and it is one of the hardest things to do.
    You did the right thing, and I am sure he loved every minute of his life with you.

RIP Chance

7. I'm feeling better about his death. He's in a better place now and isn't in pain anymore. He's out running around the stars I'm sure....chasing rabbits in the sky like he used to way back when we were kids together. I wouldn't chase the rabbits though of course....

Thanks for the comforting thoughts and words guys. I don't pray or believe in God personally, but I still appreciate all the prayers for him and the thoughts behind them :)

8. That sucks dude. My lab is waisting away right now. When it gets to the point he needs put down I don't know what I'm going to do. Putting him down would be too expensive at the moment so I will probably have to get my buddy to use the .22 while I cry like a baby.

Edit: RIP dog.

9. ah man im sorry...i've always had a soft spot in my heart for dogs :( same thing happened to me a few years back. RIP Chance, we all know you're in a better place now

10. i always hate to see em go

11. I hope you didnt pay for any of these operations

12. I real sorry man, been there too often and done that too many times. It still hurts when I think about putting down any of my buddies, but they all told me it was time, just like your buddy is telling you now. It won't be fun, and it might never quit hurting when you think of them, but you will get through this. Remember all the good times...

13. aw bro im sry your dog is defintly in a better place. i currently have a boston terrier and am not looking forward to that day at all.

14. Herzliches beileid.

I love dogs. A dog will never lie to you, will love you no matter what, you can build up a real friendship to a dog. Might sound dumb to some people, but people who have owned a dog will now what im talking about. Very loyal, with you till the end. Its always sad to hear storys like these.

Im still convinced dogs know all about your mood by the way you move, talk and act in general once they get to "know you". And they will do there best to comfort you.

im sure you lost a damn good friend, blade. And im sure just like your gonna miss him, he would have missed you.

15. I know where you're coming from man. My old girl turned 13 this previous christmas and i really have doubts that she'll make it to her next birthday. My next bowl is for you and your dog whose at peace now. RIP Chance.

16. Sucks bro, looks like a great dog too. =/

17. We do what is best for the little furry kids we have...:love:

I tried to type up my experience with my two cats, but it brought tears to my eyes...:eek:

Remember them fondly and know that there are other furry kids in need of some loving adopted parents when you are up to it.:wave:

18. I am So sorry to hear about this. My dog died in my arms a few years ago and I think about it almost every day He was more than a dog, he was my friend. It's horrible to watch your pets die.

19. I work at an animal hospital and like humans there is a very small chance that the cancer can be totally cured. The doctor tells you that straight up. What the operations do is just prolong the dogs life just like chemo and radiation except animals are not affected by chemo side affects.

The operations were not for nothing. Im sure if he didnt have them he would have been gone a lot sooner.

20. Sorry for the loss, RIP chance