My dog ate chocolate

Discussion in 'General' started by Branabis, May 19, 2010.

1. I woke up this morning to my 6 month old Rot/Pit finishing up a full Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pop-Tart pack of 2. I know that chocolate is toxic to dogs, so I'm quite worried about her. What shall I do? :confused:

2. A dog will need to eat over a half pound of chocolate to be seriously affect. Your pup will be fine. Hope this helps :wave:

3. Worst thing that might happen is your pup getting a case of the Hershey squirts.

4. My wife's dog is a little thief and has stolen many pounds of chocolate over the years including king size Hersheys bars. I don't know the science behind it but I suspect the stories about chocolate being toxic to dogs are greatly exaggerated. I'm sure it's not good for them and extreme amounts would cause them some harm but your dog will be fine.

5. Yea, I think this man is on the right track with the knowledge. :D

6. You only have to worry about high quality chocolate with dogs. The chocolate in poptarts (and other cheap chocolates) will give him the squirts, but that's about it. There's more sugar and milk in those than actual cocoa, which is what dogs don't agree with.

7. Mainly people say that because it does essentially get your dog sick with the mentioned above "Hershey Squirts". A mass amount of Chocolate would probably require a vet. run.

8. i think its dark chocolate which is the really dangerous choco for dogs but im not sure

i got a standard poodle whos about 70 pounds and he eats boxes of poptarts or other shit and hes always good

• White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
    • Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.
    • Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.
    • Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

Chocolate and Dog Poisoning