My DIY stealth pc grow box complete! (pics)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by skaterlace, Sep 8, 2011.

1. So I'm finally done, I didn't think I'd be able to do it at all let alone a week from the day I thought of it. all done under complete secrecy. Gathered all the supplies, built it and operating it currently without anyone knowing. But I am waiting for the 2 2700k cfl grow lights and 2 6500k cfl grow lights to get here in the mail. Along with the ocean forest soil. But I have 2 incandescent light bulbs in there right now just to produce enough heat to sprout the seeds before the bulbs get here. I'm growing 2 silver pearl plants that I will force flower at a little bit taller than 12" (can flower silver pearl from 12" to 12') but anyways here is the pic. And I found a great website with complete grow guides. It's a really good site I recommend it highly.
    Full Silver Pearl grow guide - learn how to grow Silver Pearl - "Silver Pearl Growing Help"
    [​IMG]

2. subbed
    im very curious to see how this works out :)

3. Subbed! Your pc looks really nice! what are the temps looking like in there? And is it light tight? do you have any sort of odor control?

4. Thanks, umm temps as far as I know are running at around 80, and for odor control I have an activated carbon filter on the outside of the fan so the air passes through it. For the most part it is light proof. I put cardboard underneath the Mylar in certain spots for light. And there is a cover over the front so the light escaping througgh the exhaust fan doesn't reach outside and no light comes in. The worst light problem for me is the intake fan in the back but can easily be fixed by putting cardboard at an angle over it so the light hits the cardboard and doesn't escape but the air is still drawn in from where it's angled. Same principle as the front fan. Other than that no leaks I cut the Mylar better than I thought. Freehand without measurements. And fit like a glove. I'd gave to say the hardest part about this build was keeping the power strip taped to the inside wall of the case. The heat from the incandescent bulb ( only used for germinating I have cfls coming in the mail very soon) would heat the tape glue up and the power strip would start falling. But adding some of the Mylar insulation helped alot with the heat so it doesn't droop and I'm going to be using cfl lights which is low heat. Btw winter is coming up and I live in upstate new York so we get below 0 temps and the near heatless bulbs won't warm it up. How could I increase the temps in the case to 80? I though about putting a good heat conductor on my candle warmer and putting it inside but any other suggestions?

5. So it's really sunny out right now I'm thinking about putting one of the plants outside for a little uv light and all that good stuff like heat. The bulbs are on their way now(in MA). Looking forward to this grow alot I hope it turns out good.

6. I just added another intake fan. It's from The pc's psu. I mounted it on the outside right where the other intake is. So it's 2 fans running in the same spot but one is external and the other is internal. The only downside is it's another outlet to plug in (suspicious?) I'll take pics in about 5 hours of the entire setup inside and out. Plus the space I'm using for it (closet)

7. Change out the clear container, roots shouldn't be exposed to light.

8. Hey thanks I really Appreciate the tip. Can I just cover it in duct tape or something? Bc I have the seed in there and the fertilizer and soil and what not.

9. yeah just make sure you do a couple layers of duct tape as 1 layer would let in some light :smoking:

10. Is there any other material that would work better? Household preferably, and as far as heat goes in the few posts back. Could you give me any recommendations?
    Thanks.

11. aluminum tape is the best light blocker, so maybe try that? or black paint, whatever works to keep the light out is good.

12. QFT. I use aluminum and I must say, it is superior. And for the intake, you don't really need an intake fan. You can just have the intake be passive. Maybe make another exhaust?

13. I wanted more intake because the air will be hitting the plants promoting thicker base stem and more thick buds. So more wind and the exhaust fan can move passively, also through the carbon filter.

14. [quote name='"skaterlace"']

I wanted more intake because the air will be hitting the plants promoting thicker base stem and more thick buds. So more wind and the exhaust fan can move passively, also through the carbon filter.[/quote]

Bigger intake hole maybe? What I'm doing to make breeze for the plant is posting up a fan that blows towards the plant. I have a few fans so I gotta put them to use lol

15. Haha yeah I just scavenged for fans and took apart like 3 different things to get the fans and spliced the wires with battery chargers

16. [quote name='"skaterlace"']

Haha yeah I just scavenged for fans and took apart like 3 different things to get the fans and spliced the wires with battery chargers[/quote]

Yep lol. Watch out for how many amps you need vs how many your fans need. My charger was getting a bit hot lol

17. Yeah it's nice and cool though. No worries, worst thought is something going wrong with the lights and burning. That's a horrible way to go to jail haha

18. [quote name='"skaterlace"']

Yeah it's nice and cool though. No worries, worst thought is something going wrong with the lights and burning. That's a horrible way to go to jail haha[/quote]

Damn now you got me worried lol

19. No it's fine it's held up good now lol. But I got the bulbs today, two 2700k cfls and two 6500k cfls. I was screwing in one of the 6500's and it just exploded (like popped, not injury exploded) so I'm fucked.

20. I'm pretty weary as of now. I believe the seeds I got were mishandled. So I think none of them will grow. I have one outside, one inside in soil under lights, and 4 in a cling wrapped (with holes in it) damp paper towel. It's been about 3 days and I don't see any growth in the soil or stems coming from the seeds. I'm worried these are 'duds'. Any advice?