My DIY rDWC on a budget

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by HazyBrain, Feb 20, 2020.

1. #1 HazyBrain, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    I cannot take credit for this idea just sharing what I came up with based on another thread on another forums where I found the idea for the bulkheads, and the system is basically a direct diy ripoff of pa hydroponics system

The plumbing and electrical conduit pieces for this two bucket setup cost me less than just buying bulkhead fittings from a hydro store.

DIY bulkhead fitting: 1x 2" male and female pvc electrical conduit adapter, 1 oring/seal (I used a toilet flapper seal--perfect fit for the 2" conduit) you will want the larger flat side of the seal against the tub to provide the most sealing surface)

I did the same as above for the 1/2 feed lines. 500gph pump (400gph at 1' head height) in the external reservoir with spray heads in each plant site and pump bypass return to res with a spray head. 3watt fluming pump in res also. No airstones! I also insulated the hi let's and pipe to block light and it brought res temps down from 73 to 68-69!

Seems to be working great and this should make it much easier to manage the nutes since I'm trying a scrog this time around. Total water volume is 20 gal but I could still raise the level a bit more. will expand this to a 4 bucket next run just trying to get these Recon plants flowered asap!

I will update this post once I have a final formatted how-to and parts list! Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. looks really good man. Good job.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks it will be a work in progress, and I'd like to make a couple tweaks already, but at least it will allow me to get these girls into flower.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nice! Glad you did it on the cheap rather than spend the coin for those WAY overpriced commercial versions. You may want to get a list of everything you used size wise because you will be hammered by people wanting to know lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  5. #5 dalars, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    are your plants in HDX bins like the reservoir?
    don't see that size on home depot site.

square containers is the answer.
    "buckets" are too challenging to work with if you go with big tubing.

LOVE those drain lines
    your drains are glued?

I see a large hole where your water input goes in.
    are you going to close that or see what happens?

a parts list would be a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I will get together an exact parts list for everyone interested.

The plant bins are from Lowe's HD doesn't carry the square 5 gallon only the rectangle totes.

I used 2" pvc for the drains because it's easy to find orings and gaskets that size locally. It's all glued together except one threaded section on the T has a drip, going to redo that with all glued connectors.

The large hole is actually just where the handle for the bucket was attached. It fit the 1/2" diy bulkhead perfectly so I put it there. It is oringed same as the 2" with a 90 into the bucket.

I have a few tweaks to do and will update the thread with parts list etc.

Thanks for all the input guys

• Like Like x 1