My curing bud smells like hay/grass...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Hamjack, Oct 11, 2017.

1. IMG_3674.JPG Girl Scout Cookies and Cream that was harvested 2 weeks ago. Stripped, trimmed and dried on a screen for over a week in mid 60s temp with good air movement in the room. Currently in mason jars getting burped once or twice a day. It is still a bit "moist" feeling, not at all crusty. When it was growing it had a lovely sweet caramel like scent. Now it smells like bailed hay. I'm assuming that the chlorophyll is still processing out of the plant... would that cause the change in smell? Can I also assume that two or three weeks of additional cure will improve the scent? Here's one tray of it after stripping but before trimming two weeks ago.

2. Sometimes I dump them out of the jar after putting them in for the cure because they get too moist once jarred when the inner moisture works its way to the surface. You can shake and roll a jar but the buds in the bottom of it are going to take forever to dry if they are still moist unless you remove them from the jar for a short period. Only like 15-30 minutes is good.

All bud has a period of smelling a little like hay as it's curing. The more dry it gets the less it will have that smell. If you try to hurry the drying too much you'll lock some of that in.

I also just started using humidity packs in my jars for the first time last crop. They have made a difference in smoothness and flavor of the buds for sure. I'm using Integra boost 55% packs since that's what my local grow store is carrying.

• Like Like x 2
  3. #3 Tbone Shuffle, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    I don't even put them in the jar until I can smoke a bowl and they have a little crisp to them. Usually about 5 days with my drying rack in my room. The cool thing about the packs is you don't have to burp near as often and the curing is faster to me. It seems like less time until you have good flavor. I put them in half my jars so I could tell the difference. It's noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. IMO nugs shouldn't hit the jars until they're pretty darn dry - and while of course relative humidity and temperature has a lot to do with it with good sized nugs a week really just isn't long enough - or at least usually. I'd dump out the jars until at least the outside of the nugs start to get crispy and then put them back in and stay on top of it. I'm sure the good aromas will come back but you just can't jar nugs too soon.

J

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Watch for mold and mildew if the bud is still wet

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 STIGGY, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    upload_2017-10-11_18-31-30.png
    I add one of these to the jar when close
    I dry until the bud is around 62-65% then jar and burp for a week
    I add a boveda 62% pack and seal it up

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. They were dried for a week before I jarred them, so I was surprised that they stayed so soft. I tested a twig this AM and it bent/did not snap, so I took everything out for another day or two of drying. I have the moisture packs that I use for my acoustic guitars during the winter... I can try popping a couple of those in the two jars.

8. You don't want to add a desiccant! Use the humidity packs designed for curing/storage. A desiccant will suck all the moisture out of them. I always cure with boveda packs, often 2 packs in a mason jar for the first few weeks.

9. Might want to put them in a paper bag and seal it inside a large sealed airtight container for a few days
    Burping as you go, This will allow them to still dry just not as fast.
    I do this in large air tight dogfood storage bins along with a hydrometer to let me know when they are ready to go into jars
    62-65% ready to jar with Boveda paks

• Like Like x 2
  10. Acoustic guitars need moisture adding/maintaining packs during the winter or the wood can crack. I own 9 acoustics and have dozens of Boveda packs.

11. Got it. I only have electric guitars... And they are getting dusty :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've been here a couple of times. Personally it's probs to damp. After a week to 10 days I put into a jar with a humidity reader seal the lid check back in a couple of hours 60% humidity start the burping move them around in the jars and seal the lid again. I do this a few times a day. After a week you will start smelling the good.stuff. I'm still a newbie compared to others but I started to get the hay smell and.ever since I do it like this it smells great. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. did you take the stems off before jarring them? The stems hold alot of moisture.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I left a few stems on this time.... but they're coming off before they get rejarred.

15. I have a bunch of electrics as well... dust 'em off man. They're dying to be played!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yea, it should cure a lot easier without the stem

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. We all get it. I suggest maybe let ur grow go longer to couch lock. That's when the stank comes. I've always said if it doesn't smell good curing isn't going to do much. Doesn't mean it don't taste ok or get u high

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

18. #18 Hamjack, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    I just vaped a bag of the driest bud. Nice, mellow stuff. In a few weeks it should be really nice. After 10 minutes it turned into a happy energy high.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1