My clones keep dying, please help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by fairchild73, May 13, 2011.

1. I'm gonna let someone else answer that. I'm not so familiar with the hydro systems.

2. Pure Blend Pro I mean, not Super Blend Pro. oops

3. 1000 is good. She will live off of less. Like around 600. Up to you on how fast it grows. Good luck

Not familiar with those nutes. Just standard hydro numbers

4. #64 greenbudguy, May 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Quick hydro question. I set up a little hydroponic dwc out of a coffee container and put a tomatoe plant in it for my girl's little brother's science project. they don't know I grow bud and I'm using fox farm trio for soil but I can use these for the tomato plant right?

5. I use the whole fox farm line I think it would be perfect for tomatos.

6. #66 greenbudguy, May 17, 2011
    I'm also hoping he isn't just trying to get a hydro setup and then try growing bud in it. I know he is a little smoker

7. We got that same problem around here. :eek:

8. #68 greenbudguy, May 17, 2011
    Little smokers? Haha

9. Things are looking better guys, i will post up some new pics tonight. Lowering the PH to 6 and moving the lights closer helped a bunch. I am still not sure if I should clone from the bottom or the top of this MOM though. The pics might help you guys to give me the best advice. :smoke:

Thanks again for the help, I love this community! :hello:

10. Usually taking clones from the top is better. Newer growth hormones so tend to root stronger. I topped my girls and took the cuttings and made them into clones. If you take from the tops, it will make more lower growth increase in growth rate

11. #71 triplebc666, May 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
    I was given a nice kush clone some months ago from a friend, and thats how it all started for me. I Grew the clone into a mother plant and clipped it into new clones. I thought I was following the conventional wisodm on what to do and obviously was wrong. I am on my third round of clones now and out of 25 - 30 clones only one has survived.

So far all I have is a rotation of mom plants to keep the strand going, but I cant get 5 or 6 clones to the veg state, so I have only had buds from the mom plants that I eventually swap out for a new on and bloom it out. The bud has been amazing, but this pace of growing is not worth all the ffort. I need to get good at cloning!

I have used both Rockwool and Rapid Rooters, but I have been more successful with the rockwool so I am going to stick with that but I am open to advice.

I have a T5 light / tray with dome set up for the clones. I have been keeping the temp in the dome around 85 with the humidity the same.

Can anyone give me a link to a clone tutorial that actually has good advice for watering after the cutting? I think the maintenance after they are put into the rockwool is my problem. I have roottech and follow the whole cutting process as I have read to do. So few tutorials show you how to get them from dome to veg stage, and I think its the more important problem I am having.

Thanks, I am really in need of your help!
    [/I][/COLOR]

Triplebc666 SAYS
    this is a pretty tricky one. each scenario is different. i personally find that the usually accepted method globally is the Jorgez Cervantes way.... but before i carry on and answer the above question.... id like to point out that although Jorgez Cervantes claims that Lower branch sections are the best to use for cloning (as their hormones are the oldest) its quite the opposite that works the best. i used to do production cloning a few years ago,

and KNOW first hand that the cuts nearer to the TOPS are always better (contrary to the bible teachings and MASS understanding),the clones taken from the TOP part of the plant ROOT FIRST, and regardless of hormone age, because at the time of chop, THEY were the ones doing most of the photosynthesing and the growth rate is MUCH faster than the clones taken from the bottom portion or middle...

(each to their own, i mean no offense. and Im CERTAINLY NOT BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE)....especially JC. its just that some of his cloning methds dont really make alot of sense to me..

2- DO put the cuts into water RIGHT AWAY.... and prepare your rockwool, jiffy pellets, compost pots or whatever... and prepare the clone by shaving the bottom end (where the diagnol cut is) JUST LIKE JC does in his vids... dip them into CLONEX or your rooting substitute, and pot them in, ensuring there is an ABSOLUTE TIGHT FIT with the clone to your medium. NO GAPs..

i usually spray them the once there and then with a littel superthrive mix (b vits), and make sure my domes and equip are CLEAN evry use. then u can pop em under your T5s, CFLs, or lower powered HIDs... make sure its AIR TIGHT to increase humidity levels.. and check em everyday or so, just to give em a bit of new air change, as STALE HOT AIR can also mess your clones up

6-15 days... VOILA,, u got roots.. every strain has its variances... but ive grown around 10 yrs or so now, and this works everytime. i find MH lights are the best for this stage myself

12. hey bro... i just writ a few things in regards to this,,, to what i FIND may help.

i think its gone to the end of this section.. but do read it.

bless, one love, and keep it locked!

-triplebc666

13. Great info bro

14. This really works for you guys??? Taking cuttings from the top. I take the vast majority of my cuttings from the bottom. I'm not questionong your techniques because I can't do so intelligently. I have just noticed when I do take cuttings from the top, they seem to have a harder time cloning in my experience.

I just got the cloning thing down last year after many failed attempts. Lately I have been having a lot of success in this area, almost got it down to a science.

I'm not trying to start an argument or comfuse the op. Just thought I would add my two cents. :wave:

15. #75 greenbudguy, May 19, 2011
    Well I topped my plants by cutting the top 3 nodes off when it was about 7 nodes and they all took. Used cloning powder and B vitamins

16. Part of my reasoning for taking clone from the bottom is. Those are the branches that are going to receieve the least amount of light, and cloning is a great way for those branches that would not produce much buds (popcorn buds) and who want's to trim those. But if you clone them instead, those branches can turn into a plant that may produce a good amount of bud.

17. #77 greenbudguy, May 19, 2011
    I agree! 100%! I just put that same logic towards topping. The tops are just cut but if you let the plant grow a little more and then clone the top, you have two plants now and the clone looks like a normal plant

18. I always FIM my plants. Can you explain topping to me because I keep hearing this term and I think It's time I learn. Why do you top, and what is topping

19. Well I top a few nodes down from the uppermost growth and I cut a 45 degree angle upward and take off the lowest node, dunk in cloning powder and place into soil