My Carnivore Diet Experience

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Frasier, Sep 17, 2018.

1. You can carefully reintroduce stuff rated for normal Keto.

But mostly meat forever.

La vie est drôle

• Like Like x 1
  2. Taking a multi vitamin ?

3. I never had much luck with the low carb diets. With the absence of sugar my thyroid hormone dips too low. My body temperature also crashes. I'm pretty far in the opposite direction, I consume around 350-450 carbohydrates a day. It's real hard to explain how I eat, reading Ray Peat's work in nutrition and metabolism will give you a good grasp. Milk, orange juice, gelatin, honey, sugar, bone broth, coffee, potatoes, coconut oil, eggs, cheese, and ripe fruits (mostly pears, mangoes, and applesauce) are my main staples. Supplemental foods I eat on a weekly basis (not daily basis) are grassfed beef liver, oysters, mushrooms, kale broth, and about 3 to 4 pounds of meat (beef, lamb, oxtail, cod, or lean skinless chicken breast). I even drink cokes when I can order Mexican cokes, they're made with sucrose instead of HFCS. The only things I don't eat is foods with PUFA in them (anything with vegetable oils in them, fatty chicken and pork, nuts, seeds, etc.). I also don't eat grains due to their lack of digestibility and high phosphate content. If I can't get my fresh farm eggs I'll limit those too, only hens that eat a insect diet have superior eggs. Hens fed conventional feed have more PUFA in their eggs. Still worth eating, just not on a daily basis.

4. Biotin

La vie est drôle

5. Going to have to try this out at some point mate, I've bookmarked it for when I do decide to give it a go

• Like Like x 1

6. I've seen people just eat meat for months at a time & they lose a ton of weight because of it lol, I know it's probably not the healthiest diet to do but I think I could do it easily since I can't get enough of meat lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Yeah you could live on meat if you had to, lots of nutrients in certain animals, especially the ruminant animals. However it's just not practical or even optimal for most modern humans to do this. The major problem for anyone with metabolic issues (which is most post-industrial modern humans) is the high protein low sugar intake crashes triiodothyronine levels in your body. Considering most modern people's cells are highly unsaturated the thyroid is already suppressed considerably before removing the carbohydrates. In fact, a lot of people myself included don't even realize they have hypothyroidism until they go low carb and start experiencing a bunch of undesirable side effects. There's also the fact that muscle meats are high in pro-inflammatory amino acids, and need to be limited. The really healthy parts of the animal are the connective tissues. Making bone broth and eating gelatinous cuts of meat, like oxtail, is ideal. They have the anti-inflammatory amino acids. Next in line are the organs, which are really dense in vitamins and minerals.

Finally in last place are the muscle meats, the most eaten cuts in today's world, and the worst for us. Ideally at maximum we should only be consuming 1lb of muscle meat a day, and that's only if we're getting enough of the anti-inflammatory amino acids. A lot of people have the notion removing sugar from the diet cures diabetes, or prevents diabetes. Actually this assertion is no different then the people who remove cholesterol from the diet to prevent heart disease. It's a complete fallacy, polyunsaturated fats are responsible for diabetes. Removing PUFA from the diet is the best first approach to take. Problem is quitting PUFA is a lot like quitting cigarettes. You'll experience some residual improvements quickly but it takes up to 10 years for your body to completely recover. This is because our fat cells in our adipose tissue have a half life of 4 years. So going without PUFA in your diet, even for 5 years, will only mean you cells have re-saturated 50%.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. How do you cook your oxtail?

9. Interestingly the blood work from all the carnivore dieters show no negative impact to thyroid.

My autoimmune is tied with my thyroid and as a result I have hypothyroidism which is why my short term memory is so awful but I noticed big improvements.

Normally it's worse in the morning. I always lock the door and get in my car to go to work and I instantly forget if I locked the door or not and have to go back and check.

Doing this I noticed some improvements to my short term memory.

I'm not a nutritionist but I have been noticing positive changes.

La vie est drôle

• Like Like x 1
  10. I sear it in a pan on each side until browned. Then I add it to a pot of water and boil for a couple of hours. The water condenses down into almost a sauce and the meat is tender, really tender, almost like pulled pork or something. I just season it and eat it, I also pour the sauce over the meat. I figure a lot of the good collagen gets left behind in the water so I eat it. Danny Roddy has a good video on preparing oxtail. He has some lame ass music in his videos though, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  11. There's probably some negative impacts that they just didn't test for. Testing only a persons TSH levels (which is what most doctors do) won't tell the full picture. Also if someone is experiencing lower body temps, anything lower than 98 degrees, then they have a suppressed thyroid.

12. My normal is 95-96 and I get cold and hot easily. I'm reading at 98.5 right now.

I would like more conclusive information and reliable studies done on this diet but I don't think we'll see it this lifetime.

The food industry wants to pump is full of corn syrup and cloned wheat garbage.

La vie est drôle

13. No doubt it works to lose weight but so do many other diets that make healthier sense. I agree meat is way more fun.

14. Chicharrones are your new chips!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Those things are delicious.

• Like Like x 1
  16. In 5 days I've lost 2 pounds

La vie est drôle

• Like Like x 2
  17. I cook it the same way, only with more liquid and save the stock for a next use. I take the shredded meat, add roma tomatoes, sweet onion, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and an ungodly amount of evoo and toss it all together into a meat salad that we eat at room temperature with crust bread.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sounds good, I usually have leftover stock as well. I normally just drink it, lol.

19. Yeah losing weight on a carnivore diet is probably going to be the biggest notice. In fact you'll probably lose weight relatively fast. The first 5 to 7 pounds will likely be water weight. The absence of carbs triggers the release of cortisol which makes you burn stored body fat for fuel.

• Like Like x 1