Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

My Cannabutter Recipe. With PICS

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BadAxe, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Hello Folks. I made another batch of Cannabutter and documented it this time. The only part I don't have pics of is the actual straining of the weed after the simmer. I was alone in the house, had rubber gloves on with butter on them from squeezing the cheesecloth, so I was not touching my camera. Once again, this recipe made some really potent butter. Enjoy.

1. I measured out 1 ounce of trimmings and popcorn buds.

[​IMG]

2. I grinded it all up in my weed grinder.

[​IMG]

3. I then grinded it up further in a coffee grinder.

[​IMG]

4. I put a pot on the stove, put 3 quarts of water in the pot, and began heating it. I then prepared my 4 sticks (1 lb) of butter and got the weed ready.

[​IMG]

5. I added the butter to begin melting it.

[​IMG]

6. I added the weed.

[​IMG]

7. I stirred everything together.

[​IMG]

8. I brought it all to a simmer (about 205 degree's)

[​IMG]

9. I let it simmer for 6 hours, stirring every half an hour. This pic is at about the half way point.

[​IMG]

2. 10. I prepared my straining tools. Bowl, Strainer and cheesecloth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. I then took the finished solution

[​IMG]

and strained it through the cheesecloth 3 times. I wore rubber gloves, and kept the cold water running to cool my hands off when needed. After pouring it through the cheesecloth and strainer, I would twist the cheesecloth with my gloved hands and really ring it out. After 3 strainings I was fiber free. :)

12. I poured the strained solution into a baking dish.

[​IMG]

I put the baking dish, with a lid on it, into the fridge and let it sit overnight.

13. I took the butter out of the baking dish using a spatula.

[​IMG]

And finally, some pics of the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Looks dank man. :yummy:

4. cool guide. well done. It looks like you used a lot more butter then bud, any specific reason?

Also im curious did you:
    Decarboxylate?
    Fry the trimmings till they turned brown?
    Throw away all the plant material?

5. I made a batch of cookies with 1/2 of the butter, and a batch of cupcakes with the other half.

And now for the part I am very ashamed of admitting. I feel so bad, that if you all feel like slamming me for this, then let me have it. I deserve it for being so stupid. Thankfully, my stupidity did not end in disaster.

I came home yesterday to find my 11 yr old German Shepherd at the entire plate of cupcakes (minus the 4 I ate). He ate about 15 cupcakes. My wife left them where he could reach them, but I do not blame her. They are my responsibility, so I really fucked up.

If you ever wondered if a dog could get really stoned, the answer is YES. My dog could not stand. If he tried to hold his head up, it just bobbed from side to side. I tried to take him outside and he could only walk sidewards, and sat down outside and could not move. I had to carry him back in. I felt SO FREAKING BAD. I did not take him to the vet because after researching, it seems all the vet does is watch him over night and charge a fortune. So I chilled with him all night, and took off work and chilled with him all day today.

He is still stoned. He can now walk, he can now hold his head up, he has gone to the bathroom, and he has drank some water. He has not eaten yet, and he is still high, but he is getting back to normal slowly. In my younger years I always thought it would be cool to get my pets high. After seeing him way too high, I will never even entertain the thought again. I feel like the WORST pet owner alive. I have hugged him countless times today and kept him close. Looks like he will be ok. But MAN, was he high.

So don't go eating 15 cupcakes if you make my butter, take my dog's word for it. But make the butter. Its potent as hell and makes AWESOME cookies.

6. Everything I read said to use 1 ounce of weed per 1 lb of butter. So thats what I went with.

No, I did not fry the buds. I grinded them to a powder in a coffee grinder, which from my research said was the most effective way.

After straining, yes, I threw the weed away. I know I could have tried to use it again, and get another batch out, but I was satisfied. and being that I grow, and use my trimmings, i have plenty, and in late December, when I harvest again, I will have another couple ounces to work with.

7. #7 Paleo Edibles, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
    So you didn't decarboxylate? How dried out were those trimmings, I wonder. Because the closer to harvest time the bud is, the more it would benefit from decarboxylation.

I usually use less butter for my bud, partially because one ounce of cannabis is different amounts depending on the water weight/how cured it is, but mostly because I like the butter to be more potent per gram, you know?

I think you could have possibly gotten a stronger product had you heated and fried the butter/cannabis mixture a little longer, at a higher temp, frying the plant matter until it was brown. The darker brown it's fried, the more you actually get out of your bud.

You could have reused the plant material, since it wasnt completely fried, or eaten it just like that. You should check out how I did it in my thread on the first page right now - The only differences between our two methods was decarboxylation, frying the bud until its dark brown, and consuming the spent plant material.

But obviously it worked and produced a good result, so good for you.

8. I was just reading your thread. Interesting and I will give it a shot in the future. I have no interest in eating the actual weed though, so I will always remove it.

The weed was very dried. I harvested in August, it was dried and cured with the rest of the bud. There was no moisture whatsoever left in this weed.

I am not saying your method could not be even more potent, but my butter makes cookies that only takes 2 cookies to get pretty high from, even for a daily smoker (For over 25 years) like me.

But I will definitely look further into your method. Always looking to improve how things are done, ya know? But one could not gone wrong following my method if they are looking for potent butter, maybe they can do even better by following yours.

9. Your butter is most likely more potent because you're growing your stuff, I'm using decarboxylated schwag. Decarboxylated schwag is no joke either though, only 3 grams and it's game over, for the whole day.

My method just has a few fixes that - over the years of trial and error - I've noticed can make some improvements in the quality of the high and potency of the edible.

Sounds like yours was practically decarboxylated if it's from August and had no waterweight. Thats good - I work with just cheap bud so the pre-bake makes a big difference.

The only thing for you to try next time would be less butter (if you wanted to concentrate the infusion a bit) and much much much more importantly, higher temperature, fried basically until browned. The reason I am so certain this works as a potentiator, is because if browned vaped bud can produce oil, and you and I both know your spent plant material could have been fried over two batches, then higher heat fry can fry all the cannabinoids into a single batch.

I understand why people don't eat the plant material, but getting high is getting high afterall. I don't mind eating it. Or refrying with it. But even if I refry (two batches) the plant material, it still gets me high when I eat it separated from the oil. So basically you're flushing quite a few doses when you flush the plant.