My brain is bigger than your brain

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by 1Trismegistus1, May 15, 2011.

1. :D:D:D:D:D:wave:

i guess some people need gigantic heads to feel good about themselves haha:smoke:

2. Just thought I'd point that bit out.

Anyway, brain size/volume probably wouldn't affect intelligence, except in this case maybe emotional intelligence. All we could conclude is that these differences would help emotional control, which is not the same thing. In fact, I would consider skilled repressers of emotions among the least emotionally intelligent people.

3. Yeah, the article said another possibility is that people with those larger areas are sort of predisposed to meditation. I didn't know what to title the thread, and I wanted it to be something clever so I titled it that. If anyone took it as me being egotistical then wow, chill the hell out lol. There's plenty of animals with larger brains than us, I know brain size doesn't equal intelligence as far as reasoning, but it would seem that the size of these areas does correlate to one's ability to handle the lower animal nature, which would lead to a happier more serene existence, one where you aren't ruled by your base emotions crying over spilled milk.

4. I think it is our lower animal functions that would make one react that way. If I started reasoning with my higher human nature, I would realize I could clean it up and pour another glass of milk:eek:

5. Agreed.

I would argue our reptilian is more responsible for outbursts..

6. The end result would be completely conquering the animal nature, but for the novice it would at least give them more control over impulses.

7. "Conquering" animal nature.

Like it's something made to overcome and not embrace..

8. You realize that just having a large brain doesn't mean you're more intelligent or more in touch with reality, right? Neuroscience has been putting Buddhist monks in fMRI's for a long time now, it's probably one of their favorite things to do. There's definitely something promising about meditation, so here's a recent article I posted in the meditation thread that talks a little bit about it: The Blog : How to Meditate : Sam Harris

Your logical failure(Hope this word doesn't sound harsh, everyone does this) in your premise by the way, is neatly summarized by this poster:

9. Same as your penis, it doesn't matter how long it is but what you do with it.

10. So you're gonna talk about buddhism and not even realize that the lower things are the source of suffering and no actual happiness is ever found in the lower nature.

11. /facepalm

Wow...

Can we get more links to those magical fakirs? I fear that's where this thread is headed.

12. This thread isn't heading anywhere that you will be influencing, because it's obvious what you are, and it's a waste of time replying to your posts lol.

13. Then why do you? You make claims all the time with no evidence. You couldn't produce anything about people conjuring cobras and lengams out of nowhere except for a known fraud that you named.

You make an insult to me saying I talk about buddhism but "dont realize the lower things are the source of suffering"?

What about the buddhist teaching that you should embrace what reincarnation you arrive on earth with? Insect, animal, human, god, nirvana or parinirvana (should you make it there) all have important things for you to learn from, and to act like that side of you should be conquered, repressed and dismissed is, in the buddhist teachings, dismissing an important part of you.

14. I know what you are, DirtySix. It's obvious. Just sayin'.

15. He says conquer, but I think he means similarly to you, but also in a sense of not attaching.

"Man, I wanna have sex so badly." Well sure, many people do at times, but don't get all worked up about it if you don't. Just simplicity.

We can use big words, but they often lead people astray. Personally, I wouldn't have said conquered. People don't always get the right interpretation of what you may be trying to convey.