my blueprints, where should i put my lights?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Killer Kush, Mar 31, 2004.

1. i made that comment based on the "veg" room being a scrog not veg room.

personaly i do everything under hps, flower, veg, start seeds and even clone. its the only light my plants ever see. the reason i do it is so my plants never have to ajust from one type of light to another and with age (sometimes years if a good mother is kept) the plant ajusts to the type of light it gets. my plants are short and stocky, high yealders and flip into flower quicker going from hps 18/6 to hps 12/12 than they do if they go from mh 18/6 to hps 12/12. the only down side is (if it is a down side) that my plants dont veg as stocky as a mh plant, maybe a inch or so taller on a 12 to 18 inch plant. cant say it bothers me much.

i may soon try them hps with the added blue as soon as my surply of new lamps runs low. time will tell if i regret it or not.

either way i find it a much more workable long turm plan than messing with loads of cf's or tubes. i did my time with fluros before hps became the common thing on the market, yeah fluros work but really, why bother when you can just slap 1 bulb up that does the lot?

oh and i dont know if anyone else has found this but plants smell less kept under just hps than mh or = watts of fluro, slighty less resin aswell. i think thats due to lower uvb in the light, if i add uv for the last 2 weeks of flower the plant stinks like its shit its self and the resin drips off the leaf compared to just hps.

oh and froggy if that was your idea to turn the scrog into a veg room, good idea.

oh and kush, 6x150 will be a load of hassle and wont light aswell as 4x250s. if money is a problem then start with doing a grow in your veg room while you save up to get propper lights, or just do half the flowering for now. in the long run the 250s are a much better buy. if you do get the 150s i can promise you that after the first coupple of grows you will be wanting to change them.

*please note the above post is just what i think, i know most people wont think the same. i dont really care and i aint gonna argue the toss about it*

2. my assumption is that CF is less costly, cooler and less hassel to use. i could totally be wrong in that assumption but that is what im goin on.

also...its easier to 'direct' to specific height changes and lum quanity with CF's, again i could be totally wrong.

and no way im dukeing it out with a thug either. pt is, this is all about personal experence.

one more thing; seems to me that 3x400w is cheaper than 6 150's and more lumes.

3. ...

Attached Files:

4. *that comment* wasnt ment for you mate. it was ment for some of the other more outspoken but less seasoned growers, i know most of what i do when i grow isnt the norm so it just crys out for people to start quoting things they read on og to me to show me the error of my ways, by the time id got to the end of the post i forgot i started it by quoting you personaly.

with that in mind i have a coupple of comments about the post just quoted from my point of view.

a 70w hps lamp without balast (remote) gives off a lot less heat and more light than 70 or 100w's of cf's with there built in balasts. the hps can be offset to one side of the grow giving a high and low light side to the grow, 1 side for veging and the other for cloning. no need to ever move or ajust the light. just move the plants along the floor.

i dont know which is cheeper to set up, a 70w hps is £22 and a 23w cf is £5 + fittings (not much) but long turm every time a cf blows its another £5 each and there maybe quite a few in a veg and clone box but hps lamps are £8 for a 100w hps and £22 for a 600w (dont know price for a 70 off hand) so running costs are a lot lower in consumerble items, also hps gives more lumes per watt so theres a saving there aswell.

oh you can get cheeper cf's than £5 but thats the going price for osram round where i live, i can get 11w cf's for a quid from poundland (nice and blue btw) but they dont last. all the normal lights in my place are cf's to help offset the cost of the grow so i know its a waste of money buying cheep cf's.

yeah your right about it being personal experance, thats all any of us can base what we say on unless its just hearsay repeted parrot fashion. i cudnt or wudnt tell anyone how to grow, all i can do is say how i wud grow and why, offer ideas and point out bad practice where i see it. show people short cuts that will free up time or resorses that can be better spent elsewhere. probably 90% of the stuff i have posted on here is from personal experance 5% is hearsay but i do try and post links to where i got the info from and 5% of the time im as stoned as a cunt and just post without explaining the reasoning behind it. so if ever you feel the urge to duke it out with me then please do, either i'll have to explain my reasoning better or 1 or the other of us may learn something from it, maybe even both learn something. aint that what were here for??

5. no.

im here cuz usually im so stoned that i dont wanna go anywhere else.

and i like to look at the pretty bud pictures.

6. I didnt even go all the way down this post, but me and john both have almost the same setup, 4 400w hps seem to be the waw to go. Check it how i would do it.

Dont bother with clfs they arent as intense, get hotter, and cost more per watt.

Attached Files:

7. Hey man im sorta like u just got started im on my first grow rite now only fluros got no $ 4 HPS but im savin but dude u shoold definately go 2 inside sun for all opf ur lights man a 400watt HPS $100 its fuckin redicuolous those prices i think by far the best place 2 shop. I hope i was alil help. GOOD LUCK MAN HAVE A GOOD TIME GROWIN

insidesun.com

8. The higher watt output HPS sytem you use, the more efficient it becomes. 1000w HPS > 600w + 400w etc. etc.
    Your monthly energy costs would be reduced and in the end, packing a room full of lower wattages of HPS systems could end up being more expensive than if you were to have just bought a 1000w system to cover everything