My BHO is turning Green

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by derek4twenty, Oct 24, 2012.

1. So I have searched endlessley for a cause to this problem and just about the only thing I can come up with is that my starting material is too finely ground. I started with 10 G's of Bubble Hash and a quarter of Sour Diesel shake. I used a honey bee extractor tube and Vector 5x purified tane. I used a not quite boiling water bath to purge. I put all of the material into a coffee grinder and pressed the button, within seconds it seems everything had turned into poweder pretty much. So I did the run and cam out with great consistancy in the oil but it was really really green, is this soley caused by the powedery starting material? Or is there something else that I am doin wrong? Thnx for any help

2. [quote name='"derek4twenty"']So I have searched endlessley for a cause to this problem and just about the only thing I can come up with is that my starting material is too finely ground. I started with 10 G's of Bubble Hash and a quarter of Sour Diesel shake. I used a honey bee extractor tube and Vector 5x purified tane. I used a not quite boiling water bath to purge. I put all of the material into a coffee grinder and pressed the button, within seconds it seems everything had turned into poweder pretty much. So I did the run and cam out with great consistancy in the oil but it was really really green, is this soley caused by the powedery starting material? Or is there something else that I am doin wrong? Thnx for any help[/quote]

It's the coffee grinder, break it all up with your fingers instead.

3. That is what I have been thinking but I wasn't sure if it was by using a mix of shake and hash or what. So is it because by grinding it up too fine you bust all the plant matters cell walls? Also the oil melts down great when put on bud, however when I put it on the Health stone it leaves a little residue, any thought? I am thinkin it migt be the residule cellulose or something but that is just speculation.

4. how many times did you run butane through the tube? if you ran more than two cans through it than some of the chlorophyll from the shake may have gotten into the dish.

its happened to me once before....of course, you can never learn stuff the easy way!

5. I only ran about a can and a half through it total and both runs I used a clean dish to purge in and still green as hel with residue left over after smoking

6. The best prep for a BHO extraction is to dehydrate the material and get a firm pack in the extraction cylinder. This is what prevents the green or black color. Dont grind or brake up the material. Just ram it into the cylinder. The thread in my signature is a good guide.
    :smoking:

7. Yeah I read your thread, I don't have accsess to a dehydradtor or a vacum pump :( so I am left to what I have available. So I have seen people say to break it up by hand not with a grinder, but I have also read not to have a lot of air pockets in the tube. So how do you avoid that if you don't break it all the way up? I am assuming you just pack the shit out of it? That then raises my question of packing it so tight that the tane can't get through it. I have yet to see a pic of an extraction tube that is glass so I can see how to pack it correctly. Do you have one?

8. You cant get it to tight, if you cant get the tane through it, then you need a better seal between the can and the tube. I have had some so tight I thought it would never make it but it will. As for dehydrating, try putting the bud on a cookie sheet and using a oven on the warm setting for an hour to dehydrate it. It should be so crunchy it does not need to be broken up. Just use a wooden dowel or something to pack the tube.

The vacuum setup is not necessary, just extend the length of time you purge it by double. A good 24 hours should do it.

9. Awesome, I also re-read the thread and saw the part about it coming out clear with the dehydration step. So let me ask this, would it do ANY good to try and dehydrate the powdery stuff that I have left, because I didn't run all of it. Or would that just be a waste? The reason I am even concerened is that it was quite a bit of hash and I just don't want to waste it and I hate cooking with herb products(I always fuck it up) any thoughts?

10. I would not use it but if you do put it in the middle of the extraction tube and get a good pack.

11. I did another run that was much larger 1/2 lb and I learned why you need to dehydrate it first, because if you don't itll turn greenish. Thanks stupid you da man!

12. I would make some dank edibles with the leftover trim.